Cheap Eats In Patong

Super Hans

I've had the shits 4 times in less than 3 months - all from eating in farang places, or as far as I can tell - so am keen to go almost totally Thai from now on. I've tended to alternate between farang and Thai food - trouble is, I get a little uncomfortable going to the same places, day in day out, and am keen to go further afield and try new places. I mainly eat in Dang/No 6 restaurants on RatUthit, as well as a couple of decent ones on one of the touristy sois off beach road. It doesn't have to be in the centre - I have legs.

Can anyone recommend any good quality, but cheap, Thai restaurants? By cheap I mean a decent scoff for around 100 baht. I haven't really done street eats as I've always been scared of food poisoning - ironically, that might have been safer!

Cheers

SH

superhans, i just happen to know of the best thai food in patong!

if you head north along rat-u-thit road and reach subway, turn right. go up there (sai nam yen rd) and go past nanai road, which will be on your right. keep going around the bends in the road until you see 7-11 on your left hand side. next to 7-11 there is an italian restaurant, and next to THAT is the best thai food in patong.

its a concrete floor job with a kuay tiew man out front and inside they serve delicious thai food.

for 50 baht i used to get a dish on top of rice and a lemon juice. lots of thais eat there and if you can get over the daughter who scowls for most of the time you will have a good cheap meal.

superhans, i just happen to know of the best thai food in patong!

if you head north along rat-u-thit road and reach subway, turn right. go up there (sai nam yen rd) and go past nanai road, which will be on your right. keep going around the bends in the road until you see 7-11 on your left hand side. next to 7-11 there is an italian restaurant, and next to THAT is the best thai food in patong.

its a concrete floor job with a kuay tiew man out front and inside they serve delicious thai food.

for 50 baht i used to get a dish on top of rice and a lemon juice. lots of thais eat there and if you can get over the daughter who scowls for most of the time you will have a good cheap meal.

Thanks Donna. I do a mean scowl myself.

Any other suggestions?

oh yes, every thai i have taken to this place LOVES it. its 'real' thai food at its best. in fact, many thai friends of mine will say that this is the best thai food around.

admittedly, there is no atmosphere in the restaurant and they usually have big fat 'tiger' the dog lazing about, but its very good food. you must also try the tom yum noodle soup from the man in the front too. buy from him and eat in the restaurant.

yum....im getting hungry now!

We just discovered a great little place on Nanai road.

So good, in fact, my Thai wife and I have eaten there 3 times in the past 3 days!

Most everything is only 30 baht, and the soup is probably the best we've had in Patong. The menu is pretty extensive - with all the standards like pad thai, pad siew, khao mun gai, and all kinds of soups. Don't know if they have any sort of dual-pricing, but we've never paid over 30 baht for anything, and they do take-away at no extra charge.

There doesn't seem to be a name for this place, or any sign outside, but it's on Nanai between the Mae Ubol market, and the Banzaan market. When heading north, it's on the left-hand side. Look for a yellow sign that says "Namthip Massage" - the restaurant is in the same block. Look for the typical cooking station / display case out front, and about 5 tables inside. They have another large cooking station out back. The place is probably only 1/3 the size of Daeng/No6.

Another inexpensive place that I highly recommend is the Breakpoint in front of Patong Tower. Its about 2/3 the way down the pedestrian "mall" (left-hand side) that runs from the beach road. Its a full-blown restaurant with both indoor and outdoor seating, as well as a free pool table. They have both Thai and Farang food, but we can only vouch for the Thai food. Most Thai items are well under 100 baht - mostly in the 40-80 baht range. Great food, service and prices. Owned by a very nice Thai/Japanese couple.

As a side note - the only time i've gotten the shits, or something like food poisoning is from eating in the larger farang-oriented restaurants. Have never had a problem with street food, or the tiny hole-in-the-wall places. (I also have a rule that so far I've never broken - when in Thailand, never eat farang food!) Why people travel halfway around the word to a country with arguably some of the world's best food, and eat spaghetti, pizza, western fast-food, etc is totally beyond me!

for farang food in patong, or at least some decent food, i also recommend Patong Bakery on the beach road near Impiana Cabana. its a no fuss restaurant, but they do a good sandwich and have a nice little bakery out front. the staff have always been very nice to me there too.

We just discovered a great little place on Nanai road.

So good, in fact, my Thai wife and I have eaten there 3 times in the past 3 days!

Most everything is only 30 baht, and the soup is probably the best we've had in Patong. The menu is pretty extensive - with all the standards like pad thai, pad siew, khao mun gai, and all kinds of soups. Don't know if they have any sort of dual-pricing, but we've never paid over 30 baht for anything, and they do take-away at no extra charge.

There doesn't seem to be a name for this place, or any sign outside, but it's on Nanai between the Mae Ubol market, and the Banzaan market. When heading north, it's on the left-hand side. Look for a yellow sign that says "Namthip Massage" - the restaurant is in the same block. Look for the typical cooking station / display case out front, and about 5 tables inside. They have another large cooking station out back. The place is probably only 1/3 the size of Daeng/No6.

Another inexpensive place that I highly recommend is the Breakpoint in front of Patong Tower. Its about 2/3 the way down the pedestrian "mall" (left-hand side) that runs from the beach road. Its a full-blown restaurant with both indoor and outdoor seating, as well as a free pool table. They have both Thai and Farang food, but we can only vouch for the Thai food. Most Thai items are well under 100 baht - mostly in the 40-80 baht range. Great food, service and prices. Owned by a very nice Thai/Japanese couple.

As a side note - the only time i've gotten the shits, or something like food poisoning is from eating in the larger farang-oriented restaurants. Have never had a problem with street food, or the tiny hole-in-the-wall places. (I also have a rule that so far I've never broken - when in Thailand, never eat farang food!) Why people travel halfway around the word to a country with arguably some of the world's best food, and eat spaghetti, pizza, western fast-food, etc is totally beyond me!

I ate a lot of Thai food when I first got here, but then started to dream of pizza. But I know what you mean. I always assumed the Breakpoint was an Aussie run place - dunno why. It advertises rooms at 500b a night, which is pretty good for the location.

Loads of places all around the back streets, I think you tend to find ones you like and also get treated better when your a regular customer..

But one place deserves special mention.. 'Peters' swiss german little place just near the 7/11 at the south end of Nanai (just near the 50 year rd / mountain rd junction).. His farang dishes are well done and well priced, good breakfasts also, but the Thai dishes are superb.. Not to be missed is the tom yum bpla get it pieow phed and I think its the best I have ever eaten. Its not cheap thai food tho, but the upside is its all good bits of meat not the boney / lumpy / fatty bits that tend to be used by the cheaper street kitchens. Every Thai I have taken there has been impressed at the thai food.

I've had the shits 4 times in less than 3 months - all from eating in farang places, or as far as I can tell - so am keen to go almost totally Thai from now on. I've tended to alternate between farang and Thai food - trouble is, I get a little uncomfortable going to the same places, day in day out, and am keen to go further afield and try new places. I mainly eat in Dang/No 6 restaurants on RatUthit, as well as a couple of decent ones on one of the touristy sois off beach road. It doesn't have to be in the centre - I have legs.

Can anyone recommend any good quality, but cheap, Thai restaurants? By cheap I mean a decent scoff for around 100 baht. I haven't really done street eats as I've always been scared of food poisoning - ironically, that might have been safer!

Cheers

SH

Try the open air market area on the Nanoi Road. Its on the shore side of the road, at the southern end. During the day you can sit under cover and eat cheaply. I used the one at the bottom left, close to the mini mart shop. You get to watch the chef prepare and cook food. Its more an open air kitchen than a restaurant. She is very profesional, and is scrupilously clean. Menus are on the table with prices. At night time the whole outside area becomes many restaurants which are good and cheap too. Ah, Thai food, al-fresco. I can almost smel the sizzling baramundi now. You lucky people living in Phuket !

Loads of places all around the back streets, I think you tend to find ones you like and also get treated better when your a regular customer..

But one place deserves special mention.. 'Peters' swiss german little place just near the 7/11 at the south end of Nanai (just near the 50 year rd / mountain rd junction).. His farang dishes are well done and well priced, good breakfasts also, but the Thai dishes are superb.. Not to be missed is the tom yum bpla get it pieow phed and I think its the best I have ever eaten. Its not cheap thai food tho, but the upside is its all good bits of meat not the boney / lumpy / fatty bits that tend to be used by the cheaper street kitchens. Every Thai I have taken there has been impressed at the thai food.

Your right, ###### good food, and my GF love the Thai food there, live 50 meters from him so have been there a few times, moving to Kata tomorrow so have to find new places to eat.

Da.n good food

Edited by HDRIDER