Malaysia An Alterantive Retirement Location?

sunreader

If not Thailand, would you consider places like Penang in Malaysia?....was considering what alternatives there are to Thailand but still offering the weather,beaches and value for money?

Only been to Penang briefly a couple of times many years back (Visa runs!) and found it a bit dull and too hot! But I quite like the sound of the "Highlands" (??) I think over on the other side (top right?!) for the weather........maybe some day I will go and explore. the folk seemed nice.

If I was a betting man I would not count on Malaysia remaining "Value for money" over the longer term, whereas Thailand on the other hand has a lot of fundamentals "going for it" (??!!) in this respect.

I guess they speak Malay in Malaysia -anyone know if it is easier to learn than Thai?! :o

all tend to sa-ssspeak...er wots-it....o yeah...English.................x colony old chap.....x col..... :D

....and all the better for it. Chap can speak to the locals there and still expect to get his round back!

Not sure how moondancing caledonian loons might fare though?

Probably alright if they get the whiskies in and don't tell too many Gerald Fitzwilliam jokes :o

Sharia law might well be on its way to Malaysia pretty soon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...1/wmalay101.xml

I honestly think the best idea is to be an "eternal tourist"

Not putting down any roots in ANY country in the area. Three months here, three months there, three months somewhere else etc

All of them seem to lure people with promises of a cheap, hedonistic lifestyle, and then.............. BANG !!!!!

The door to the cell clangs shut

Penkoprod

all tend to sa-ssspeak...er wots-it....o yeah...English.................x colony old chap.....x col..... :D

Just been on Wiki - the offical language is Bahasa Melayu which is NOT tonal and also written in western script but also "English continues, however, to be widely used in professional and commercial fields and in the superior courts".

What with more liberal Visas all they need are lots of BG's and Katoeys :o

Sharia law has been part of the Malaysian law system since ages !!!

nothing much to worry about if you are a non-muslim.

what happens in Thailand these days, is even worse than sharia, in my humble opinion.

those who fancy cheap booze and easy-to-get girls will have a hard time in Malaysia, though....

Sharia law has been part of the Malaysian law system since ages !!!

nothing much to worry about if you are a non-muslim.

Please read the full article carefully, here : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...1/wmalay101.xml

Sharia law already operates in some Malaysian states and is occasionally applied to non-Muslims, as in July when Islamic officials forcibly separated a Hindu-Muslim couple with six children after 21 years of marriage.

And there are many cases like that :D

More and more from what I read on News sites... :o

Pattaya46

• 2 weeks later...

Just been on Wiki - the offical language is Bahasa Melayu which is NOT tonal and also written in western script but also "English continues, however, to be widely used in professional and commercial fields and in the superior courts".

What with more liberal Visas all they need are lots of BG's and Katoeys :D

They've already got them - plenty of Thai Katoeys in Georgetown :o

• 3 weeks later...

Much easier. And it is Romanized.. And I think Malaysia is friendlier.

If not Thailand, would you consider places like Penang in Malaysia?....was considering what alternatives there are to Thailand but still offering the weather,beaches and value for money?

Only been to Penang briefly a couple of times many years back (Visa runs!) and found it a bit dull and too hot! But I quite like the sound of the "Highlands" (??) I think over on the other side (top right?!) for the weather........maybe some day I will go and explore. the folk seemed nice.

If I was a betting man I would not count on Malaysia remaining "Value for money" over the longer term, whereas Thailand on the other hand has a lot of fundamentals "going for it" (??!!) in this respect.

I guess they speak Malay in Malaysia -anyone know if it is easier to learn than Thai?! :o

I love Malaysia and Malaysian people, and have seriously considered moving to KL. As a frequent visitor, it felt very easy-going, although I don't know what it would be like to live and work there, especially as a single woman.

I can tell you that upon one of my first arrivals in KL, these guys in an Indian coffee shop actually asked me how I could travel around without a husband. I asked him if I needed a husband to visit Malaysia, and he then responded that I at least need a map :D Thanks - thanks very much for your concern :o

I love Malaysia and Malaysian people, and have seriously considered moving to KL.

KL is a great city, very livable. I love the many green areas, the excellent food, the brilliant public transport network, the vibrant Chinese life. And it is much safer than Bangkok. If i wouldn't have my roots here, i would not hesitate moving there.

I love Malaysia and Malaysian people, and have seriously considered moving to KL.

KL is a great city, very livable. I love the many green areas, the excellent food, the brilliant public transport network, the vibrant Chinese life. And it is much safer than Bangkok. If i wouldn't have my roots here, i would not hesitate moving there.

We moved from Thailand for family life education mostly for the kids ... the family love it in Penang ....yes it is much easier with English being almost the mosy widely used language , road signs that actually mean some thing etc ...expensive housing is Not cheap ...but have controlled standards of build and proper electricians etc . Petrol is much cheaper and recognisable food is readily and normally available at cheaper prices than Thailand ...but the standard local fare is fabulous with great street eating again not quite as cheap as in Thailand but much greater variety than generally available in Thailand . ..But most of this I have posted before this forum began .

But the main reason education 100% better both in content and value ...cheaper and better with the local islamic influence of moderating the behaviour of teenagers especial girls ( not invasive or oppresive ) just in the back ground . The peer pressure is not about the make up ,new shoes , and loosing your cherry , the colour of your skin ,My thai daughter realy hated thai schooling being schooled abroad before . She loves the school her and is flourishing and reading books the peer pressure is about how well you did in tests and school generally .

A point of interest the curriculum she is following is the older O level, A level not CSE `s or what ever they are called now ...the school is competative and allows kids to advance up a grade if they are capable , taking O levels up to 2 years earlier if the child is capable ... so like the system I follwed in the UK in a fairly progressive school all those years ago ..I actually understand what she is doing and the atmosphere is late 60`s in social attitudes but with internet, mobiles and computers . Not showy and flash schools unlike our experiences in Thailand expensive all show and no substance ...The teacher here are far more dedicated and actually see it as a vocation living and working in society .. unlike ( sorry from my experiences ) thailand where to many are teachers because there is no other way to stay in Thailand , or because it was the last available option , or they were part of the screw you way round S.E.Asia brigade .. or they thought it was the least hard work or so they thought . I nearly forget I was i had never bought houses in Thailand Bnagkok ..I would immediately invest here in Penang ...we are considering selling up and doing just that . Property is always moving up in Penang

Edited by rcalsop

We moved from Thailand for family life education mostly for the kids ... the family love it in Penang ....yes it is much easier with English being almost the mosy widely used language , road signs that actually mean some thing etc ...expensive housing is Not cheap ...but have controlled standards of build and proper electricians etc .

Interesting post.

Question regarding education - what are the costs, or are private schools not necessary there?

Regarding housing - i have friends who rent in the outskirts of KL, and that is not much more than here in Bangkok, and a lot safer.

I am inclined to agree with most posters here that living in Malaysia has obvious advantages over the Thai experience but on the question of property I would take issue with the notion that buying anything is generally a sure fire winner.

New condos in Penang may well increase in cost yoy as they are developed but when it comes to resale the market can be every bit illiquid as in Thailand. S.E.Asians like to buy new and Malaysia is no exception. The quality of urban developments on the mainland is variable to say the least and fundamental problems with poor sewerage and water supply abound. Seeking redress from developers who already have your money is as difficult here as it is getting a refund from any Thai.

If you have the money then by all means buy a house in the Georgetown suburbs if you can. Land here is at a premium and ensures demand always exceeds supply.

My only concern about Malaysia generally is that the balance between the 3 races becomes so disturbed that the Malay government in appeasing demands from the bumiputras will further discriminate against the Chinese and Indian to the point that stability will suffer.

They've already got them - plenty of Thai Katoeys in Georgetown :D

Ladies of the night too.

I am told you will not catch anything from them, as you will never touch the sides. :o

A visa at the airport for 3 months, at zero cost, is also a definite plus.

I am inclined to agree with most posters here that living in Malaysia has obvious advantages over the Thai experience but on the question of property I would take issue with the notion that buying anything is generally a sure fire winner.

New condos in Penang may well increase in cost yoy as they are developed but when it comes to resale the market can be every bit illiquid as in Thailand. S.E.Asians like to buy new and Malaysia is no exception. The quality of urban developments on the mainland is variable to say the least and fundamental problems with poor sewerage and water supply abound. Seeking redress from developers who already have your money is as difficult here as it is getting a refund from any Thai.

If you have the money then by all means buy a house in the Georgetown suburbs if you can. Land here is at a premium and ensures demand always exceeds supply.

My only concern about Malaysia generally is that the balance between the 3 races becomes so disturbed that the Malay government in appeasing demands from the bumiputras will further discriminate against the Chinese and Indian to the point that stability will suffer.

My previous comments related to Penang island and you are basically correct the property with land ( you can own both and do have rights here ) is the key to a very secure investment , however even the condos will be a good investment and are very rentable here. The island is due to have the bridge widened (about half way completed at the moment , then the second link has started , plus the monorail project, approved and waiting to start will significantly improve pricing . The island is not just George town areas to wards the airport and industrial zone are very well served with the new Malls , Hospitals , road sevices , new bars and schools infact although the island is small we rarely go to George town or the area of Bahtu Ferengi only special trips with visitors . The race situation is more stable here than many countries and my personal experience is that in general it is fairly stable ,I work with all three basic ethnic groups and I am not particularly isolated in an expat enclave we live and work with all the locals so I am exposed to the realities and comments.

• 2 weeks later...

We moved from Thailand for family life education mostly for the kids ... the family love it in Penang ....yes it is much easier with English being almost the mosy widely used language , road signs that actually mean some thing etc ...expensive housing is Not cheap ...but have controlled standards of build and proper electricians etc . Petrol is much cheaper and recognisable food is readily and normally available at cheaper prices than Thailand ...but the standard local fare is fabulous with great street eating again not quite as cheap as in Thailand but much greater variety than generally available in Thailand . ..But most of this I have posted before this forum began .

But the main reason education 100% better both in content and value ...cheaper and better with the local islamic influence of moderating the behaviour of teenagers especial girls ( not invasive or oppresive ) just in the back ground . The peer pressure is not about the make up ,new shoes , and loosing your cherry , the colour of your skin ,My thai daughter realy hated thai schooling being schooled abroad before . She loves the school her and is flourishing and reading books the peer pressure is about how well you did in tests and school generally .

A point of interest the curriculum she is following is the older O level, A level not CSE `s or what ever they are called now ...the school is competative and allows kids to advance up a grade if they are capable , taking O levels up to 2 years earlier if the child is capable ... so like the system I follwed in the UK in a fairly progressive school all those years ago ..I actually understand what she is doing and the atmosphere is late 60`s in social attitudes but with internet, mobiles and computers . Not showy and flash schools unlike our experiences in Thailand expensive all show and no substance ...The teacher here are far more dedicated and actually see it as a vocation living and working in society .. unlike ( sorry from my experiences ) thailand where to many are teachers because there is no other way to stay in Thailand , or because it was the last available option , or they were part of the screw you way round S.E.Asia brigade .. or they thought it was the least hard work or so they thought . I nearly forget I was i had never bought houses in Thailand Bnagkok ..I would immediately invest here in Penang ...we are considering selling up and doing just that . Property is always moving up in Penang

Great info. Have considered relocating to Phuket for a while but finally decided not to due to uncertain visa issue, high cost of education /have 3 kids/ and totaly overpriced real estate.

What is the cost of schooling in Penang? Assuming you pursue englisheducation do you need to send kids to int'l school, private or public?

What is the avg price for 3-4 bdrm house w pool or nearby beach? Is renting an option to consider?

How would you compare the cost of living Penang vs. Phuket

Have been to KL but never to Penang so certainly need to do more research. Thank you for any information on this subject.

After writing a successful article on Living in Thailand for an international magazine, I have been coommissioned to take a look at the Malaysia expat scene. Are there any members who decided that Malaysia suited their situation better - and were enticed to the 2nd Home scheme? I'd be interested in your opinions. Please PM me!

Thanks in advance.... :o