Chatuchak Tops Robbery Table

Thaising

The Chatuchak Weekend Market is where foreign visitors to Bangkok suffer the most thefts, according to the Tourist Police, who during the first eight months of the year received reports of 280 robbery cases throughout the metropolitan area.

Eighty-five cases were filed by tourists who visited the weekend market and reported that their bags or valuable objects had been stolen.

Seventy-six cases involved thefts at shopping malls and department stores, with MBK Centre being the most popular venue for thieves. Transport terminals and bus stations reported 50 cases, while 46 cases were reported at Pratunam Market and commercial nightlife areas on Silom Road.

The remaining cases were reported from tourists who visited China Town (11 cases), Sukhumvit Road (seven) and Suan Lum Night Bazaar (five).

Altogether, only five suspects have been arrested. Most of them are from neighbouring countries, according to Tourist Police commander Chuchart Suwannakom.

He added that the figures had been reported to Tourism and Sports Minister Suvit Yodmani on Wednesday.

Chuchart said the Tourist Police were working with police stations throughout the metropolitan area to help the victims. "The police and related agencies are warning tourists in three main languages - English, Chinese and Japanese - in particular at Chatuchak Weekend Market, in order to solve the problems," he said.

Suvit said the ministry was trying to take better care of tourists while trying to resolve the problems.

The ministry is also working more closely with agencies, including the Tourism Authority of Thailand, to provide information to visitors. The minister said it was not only local people turning to crime, but also many alien workers living in Thailand.

To solve the problem, the ministry has assigned the Tourist Assistance Centre - the unit assigned specifically to help tourists - to pay more attention to the problem.

"The ministry will give tourists more confidence while they are here," said Suvit.

The number of tourists will increase during the high season, so the authorities must be more alert to the issue, he added.

The Nation

I would be interested to compare those figures with other countries. Just 280 robberies in 8 months! That's 35 per month - or just over 1 robbery per day!

Chatuchak Weekend Market is incredibly crowded and people are jostled as they thread their way through the narrow corridors.

When asked by a friend who was planning his first trip to Thailand - I told him I only make two changes to my usual security: Carry my wallet in the front pocket of my jeans and only carry enough cash and 1 credit card with me.

Peter

I had a friend get his wallet stolen at JJ. When he thought back he remembered there was this little thai guy next to him checking out T-Shirts in the X-Large section (and he was wondering why this guy would need an XL T-shirt :o ).

Anyways he got his wallet back at the lost/found minus the cash. Everything else intact.

It's an easy way to reduce crime, not only in Thailand. Introduce death penalty even for smaller crimes. Let's say if a person get cought a second time for whatever crime, a death penalty should be given. By doing this, the number of criminals out on the streets will be limited. Should also mension the cost savings here (it actually costs a fortune to feed inmates, prison staff costs, etc etc, especially in the western part of the world.)

time to announce another crackdown on "illegal immigrants" ...... :o

I was at JJ sometime ago and happen to see a pickpocket bring apprehended by some vendor and this crook wasn’t a foreigner but one of their local. When something untoward happen to the tourist, they always blamed foreign alien instead on their own people.

I would be interested to compare those figures with other countries. Just 280 robberies in 8 months! That's 35 per month - or just over 1 robbery per day!

Chatuchak Weekend Market is incredibly crowded and people are jostled as they thread their way through the narrow corridors.

When asked by a friend who was planning his first trip to Thailand - I told him I only make two changes to my usual security: Carry my wallet in the front pocket of my jeans and only carry enough cash and 1 credit card with me.

Peter

Actually it is much higher than "just over 1 robbery per day". The weekend market area of Chatuchak is only active for 8 or 9 days per month.

Also here in Chiangmai it is rapidly changing.

My wife and her friends are complaining all over , there are so many non -Muang people

staying in CM lately, Issaan and Burmese working people .

Not that this is a problem per se , it is that the theft rate is also rapidly going up.

In 2 weeks time the motorcycle from my wife and my helmet on another occasion were stolen.

Even my flip flops in front of the shop of my wife , its really getting weird .

Eight years ago while first arriving here it was indeed very different .

Maybe it has to do with the young people rapidly needing cash .

Still in the village where our home is , it is still same same and everything fine with almost no crime (what I know of) .

That's why I always see the police drinking in the evening , there not much work to do.

It's an easy way to reduce crime, not only in Thailand. Introduce death penalty even for smaller crimes. Let's say if a person get cought a second time for whatever crime, a death penalty should be given. By doing this, the number of criminals out on the streets will be limited. Should also mension the cost savings here (it actually costs a fortune to feed inmates, prison staff costs, etc etc, especially in the western part of the world.)

Yep, get caught 2 times doing 95KPH on the Highway where the speed Limit is only 90 and its off to the Gas Chamber..... :o

Yep, get caught 2 times doing 95KPH on the Highway where the speed Limit is only 90 and its off to the Gas Chamber..... :D

Baaaaaaaaaaa get real "gas chamber" surely a rusty old serrated knife would do the job and save the gas for the after execution barbecue party??

How about being licked to death by Thai women/men instead??? :o

Yep, get caught 2 times doing 95KPH on the Highway where the speed Limit is only 90 and its off to the Gas Chamber..... :D

Baaaaaaaaaaa get real "gas chamber" surely a rusty old serrated knife would do the job and save the gas for the after execution barbecue party??

How about being licked to death by Thai women/men instead??? :o

what are you in need of ?