Aging And Your Life In Thailand

siamamerican

Beats me, GH, my best ever was 1.02, my brother did better at 58.40.

BTW, my brother and I rode regularly with Reg long long ago in Manchester Wheelers.

P.S. It takes me almost as long nowadays to cycle to the shopping centre.

Edited by qwertz

You guys are great. I like this thread ! :o Balance in life is such a fine formula and ever so important in the 'middle-years'.

Can I make enough income to sustain a viable existence? How healthy is my neighbourhood- can I cycle, run, swim etc without threat of injury? Can I sustain a long-term future without moving borders, with my needs & wants?

All this and more in one simple post...

sort of stupid thread really. ok you are getting older so what. so is everyone else. it makes no difference where you live. if you want to excersize either go jogging in lumpini park or other parks or join a gym. the diet well makes no difference too you can just pick and choice as with any place where the healthy choices are.
s

Stupid is as stupid does :o

I moved here for the exact reasons you have discussed in your opening statement. I was 46 at the time now 48. I’m very happy with the decision and I’m defiantly maximizing my youth. Living here has brought a LIFE back to me verses the boring, expensive, rat race of the USA. You will have the time of your life here believe me.

I would say that now in Thailand I’m in the best shape of my life and that you will have no problem keeping yourself fit and healthy, there are plenty of well-equipped gyms and activities. Anyone that thinks you can’t stay fit in Thailand is frankly just either uninformed or lazy. As far as the food you will have no problem staying healthy on a Thai diet or if you want your native food it is available as well.

I’ve been here a year and a half now and just got a one-year education visa, I’ve been studying Thai for about a year now. This year of study will be a year that really brings me to a comprehension of the language. I plan to study until I’m a fluent speaker and can read and write, I think it will take 4 to 5 years.

You have played your cards right in this life; you have the ability and the confidence in yourself to move across the world. Most have obligations such as family, employment or do not have sufficient funds to make the move. The reality is however anyone can make anything happen if they really want it, nothing can stop anyone if they believe they can do it and don’t give up until its done.

I was in the same position as you a few years ago trying to decide if I should move, it’s difficult. My advice to you is to weigh all the factors and whatever you decide, after you make that choice don’t look back, just do it. If you decide to move bear in mind your friends and family will be losing you and it will hurt them so be prepared for some subtle interference from a lot of angles. Its sometime hard to break free, they mean well but it would be better for them if you just stayed were you are, if you know what I mean.

Good luck.

R.

If you decide to move bear in mind your friends and family will be losing you and it will hurt them so be prepared for some subtle interference from a lot of angles.

In my case, they helped me pack my bag and made sure I'd boarded the plane. :o

I moved here for the exact reasons you have discussed in your opening statement. I was 46 at the time now 48. I’m very happy with the decision and I’m defiantly maximizing my youth. Living here has brought a LIFE back to me verses the boring, expensive, rat race of the USA. You will have the time of your life here believe me.

I would say that now in Thailand I’m in the best shape of my life and that you will have no problem keeping yourself fit and healthy, there are plenty of well-equipped gyms and activities. Anyone that thinks you can’t stay fit in Thailand is frankly just either uninformed or lazy. As far as the food you will have no problem staying healthy on a Thai diet or if you want your native food it is available as well.

I’ve been here a year and a half now and just got a one-year education visa, I’ve been studying Thai for about a year now. This year of study will be a year that really brings me to a comprehension of the language. I plan to study until I’m a fluent speaker and can read and write, I think it will take 4 to 5 years.

You have played your cards right in this life; you have the ability and the confidence in yourself to move across the world. Most have obligations such as family, employment or do not have sufficient funds to make the move. The reality is however anyone can make anything happen if they really want it, nothing can stop anyone if they believe they can do it and don’t give up until its done.

I was in the same position as you a few years ago trying to decide if I should move, it’s difficult. My advice to you is to weigh all the factors and whatever you decide, after you make that choice don’t look back, just do it. If you decide to move bear in mind your friends and family will be losing you and it will hurt them so be prepared for some subtle interference from a lot of angles. Its sometime hard to break free, they mean well but it would be better for them if you just stayed were you are, if you know what I mean.

Good luck.

R.

You have a good understanding of where I'm at now. For the most part I've played my cards right and dream of living in Thailand in the near future. I too found it a difficult decision in regards to moving to Thailand. The decision today is not complicated by money, which was the reason I chose not to move years ago.

The rat race the last few years hasn't been all that bad. Each year was challenging and definitely rewarding.

As I get older, more exciting possibilities unveil themselves. Realizing that life will always present different opportunities, escapes me at times. Like some posters stated - I need to just relax.

I have been coming back and forth for 4 or 5 years , stay around 90 days in LOS the around 90 back in the world. I am sure soon i will quit going back to the US as much, My bussiness there now will run it self and let me stay here longer.

I am the most happy here . life is much slower for me anyway. I sleep better. I think it better to relax and chill . So my hat off to you guy who have made the move and found its a great place to age. Hope soon to join the club with you :o

Ages ending in 0 tend to be milestones.

George Carlin 's Views on Aging

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is

when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited

about aging that you think in fractions.

"How old are you?" "I'm four and a half!" You're never thirty-six and a

half. You're four and a half, going on five! That's the key!!

You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back.

You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead.

"How old are you?" "I'm gonna be 16!" You could be 13, but hey,

you're gonna be 16! And then the greatest day of your life . . . you

BECOME 21. Even the words sound like a ceremony. YOU BECOME 21.

YESSSS!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound

like bad milk! He TURNED; we had to throw him out. There's no fun

now, you're just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40. Whoa! Put on the

brakes, it's all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50 and

your dreams are gone.

But wait!!! You MAKE IT to 60. You didn 't think you would!

So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE IT to 60.

You've built up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it's a

day-by-day thing; you HIT Wednesday!

You get into your 80s and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch;

you TURN 4:30 ; you REACH bedtime and it doesn't end there. Into the

90s, you start going backwards; "I Was JUST 92."

Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a

little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half!"

Why not just be grateful you're alive, wherever you are?

Excellent advice!!

I was super fit when 18, had a very unfit 15 years, now never felt better at 42.

A question for the oldies - when did your sex-life end?

WHO or What is "sex-life"? :o

I just hit 40 and for the first time realizing, I'm not able to do the things I was once capable of doing physically. I've lived a physical lifestyle and for some reason pride myself in the fact that few can keep up with me physically. Sounds vain, because it is, but I can live with this vanity.

Did many of you older ex pats move to Thailand to extend your youth or other personal vanities? We only have one chance to make the best of this life, and why not take advantage of every opportunity.

As for me, I'm moving to Thailand to take advantage of my semi-youth. I could work and have a good time for another 15 years in the USA. I opted for moving to Thailand next year and having a GREAT life.

How has aging impacted your time in Thailand? Looking back, was the time spent in Thailand more fulfilling than it would have been back home?

i moved to thailand nearly 15 years ago ,now almost fifty ,looking at my brothers 51-43 it was the right decision ,im 6 foot 80kg ,brothers both 6 foot2 both over 110 kg ,both look old and unfit ,i think living here has kept me younger ,less stress and more fun :o

I just hit 40 and for the first time realizing, I'm not able to do the things I was once capable of doing physically. I've lived a physical lifestyle and for some reason pride myself in the fact that few can keep up with me physically. Sounds vain, because it is, but I can live with this vanity.

Did many of you older ex pats move to Thailand to extend your youth or other personal vanities? We only have one chance to make the best of this life, and why not take advantage of every opportunity.

As for me, I'm moving to Thailand to take advantage of my semi-youth. I could work and have a good time for another 15 years in the USA. I opted for moving to Thailand next year and having a GREAT life.

How has aging impacted your time in Thailand? Looking back, was the time spent in Thailand more fulfilling than it would have been back home?

i moved to thailand nearly 15 years ago ,now almost fifty ,looking at my brothers 51-43 it was the right decision ,im 6 foot 80kg ,brothers both 6 foot2 both over 110 kg ,both look old and unfit ,i think living here has kept me younger ,less stress and more fun :o

Almost without exception, most members that posted are having a good time at whatever age. A ringing endorsement for moving to Thailand. Thought there might be a a few that thought it was stupidest thing they ever did. Maybe they just moved on or can't afford the internet.

Leaving family and friends is a difficult choice to make; it’s hard on everyone. For myself I found it difficult to walk away from the money I was making in the USA. I have the money I need to live here but I was making the type of money that I had always thought I needed and dreamed about amassing. At the time it was one of my beliefs that a lot of money and possessions would make me happy.

If you have enough money to live the rest of your life in Thailand you’ve done well. I have a few more years than you but were fairly close in age. Money is not a problem TIME is what is in short supply. In 20 years you will be 60 and myself 68, that’s not much time. It’s a nice luxury to have the ability to experience life in different parts of the world; I don’t think you would have the same type of experience in 15 to 20 years, as you will today.

I just recently returned to the USA, stayed for a month and a half to handle some business that could not be resolved from Thailand. I have lived in Thailand for a while now and I see things from a different perspective. Most in the USA are focusing a considerable amount of their valuable limited time making money; I did the same when I lived there. I conditioned myself to be happy with enormous workloads and stress because I was making money; it never seemed to bother me. I would never want that type of existence again. Don’t get me wrong without the money there are no options, it all starts with proper funding but I have what I need, now I want to enjoy the life that I have.

When I came first came to Thailand I knew I wanted to live here. When I returned home it was the last thing I thought about before I went to sleep and the first thing when I woke up in the morning. Living here was what I dreamed of doing, I decided I wanted to live the life I’d always dreamed about living. Who knows how long any of us have, its really rewarding to be able to live the life you want now. After returning from my recent trip to the USA I know now that I made the right choice for my life by moving to Thailand.

R…

Growing old is a part of life's up's and downs.

You'll know when you're getting old because first you forget to pull your zipper up.

Then you forget to pull it down.

Finally you don't know or care any more if it's up or down.

Leaving family and friends is a difficult choice to make; it’s hard on everyone. For myself I found it difficult to walk away from the money I was making in the USA. I have the money I need to live here but I was making the type of money that I had always thought I needed and dreamed about amassing. At the time it was one of my beliefs that a lot of money and possessions would make me happy.

If you have enough money to live the rest of your life in Thailand you’ve done well. I have a few more years than you but were fairly close in age. Money is not a problem TIME is what is in short supply. In 20 years you will be 60 and myself 68, that’s not much time. It’s a nice luxury to have the ability to experience life in different parts of the world; I don’t think you would have the same type of experience in 15 to 20 years, as you will today.

I just recently returned to the USA, stayed for a month and a half to handle some business that could not be resolved from Thailand. I have lived in Thailand for a while now and I see things from a different perspective. Most in the USA are focusing a considerable amount of their valuable limited time making money; I did the same when I lived there. I conditioned myself to be happy with enormous workloads and stress because I was making money; it never seemed to bother me. I would never want that type of existence again. Don’t get me wrong without the money there are no options, it all starts with proper funding but I have what I need, now I want to enjoy the life that I have.

When I came first came to Thailand I knew I wanted to live here. When I returned home it was the last thing I thought about before I went to sleep and the first thing when I woke up in the morning. Living here was what I dreamed of doing, I decided I wanted to live the life I’d always dreamed about living. Who knows how long any of us have, its really rewarding to be able to live the life you want now. After returning from my recent trip to the USA I know now that I made the right choice for my life by moving to Thailand.

R…

I'm not having that difficult time with the family. Over the last 10 years they have adjusted to my nomad lifestyle. We are close, but for whatever reason, don't feel the need to visit that often. All the grand children (not mine ) and the parents' busy social life make it easier for them to put up with their one kid that's not like the rest.

The money is going to the biggest sacrifice. I've made many financial blunders in the past, but the last few years, it seems, I can't do wrong. Making more money than I ever dreamed and in 5 more years could be wealthy. Being wealthy vs. living in Thailand was not a simple decision. I'll be in Thailand early next year and am confident it is the right choice. I am well aware of what Thailand has to offer, having lived there 4 years.

I too have conditioned myself to heavy workloads and meeting goals. Professional success is satisfying, but it doesn't compare to the time I spent in Thailand. Most likely I'll eventually opt to re-enter the employment market in some capacity. Maybe teach English, start a business, or work for an international company. For the first time in my life, it isn't a major concern. As you mentioned, having money gives you many more options.

It sounds like a mirror image of what happened with me. About 3 - 5 more years and I would have been in the millions. It was difficult to walk away from, most of my family and friends thought I was crazy and for a while I thought I was as well. But I’m much happier now and for me that means more. The money does give you options and the more you have the more options that are available. I have the money to make the things I want happen for me. There are things I would like to do and have that I can’t afford but when I balance the effort that it would take to obtain them with the sacrifice of the lifestyle that I have now its just not worth the effort. I do think about the money from time to time and I’m capable of going back and grinding it out for a few years if need be but I don’t think that will ever happen. I don’t need much money to live here and I’m happy just to supplement my investment income with the little bit I can make here and there in Thailand.

Recently in the USA I was offered the chance to make some hefty sums of money putting together a project with a former partner. I contemplated doing the work for about a week, and then I realized how unhappy I would be living there for the next 2 or 3 years. I don’t think I’ll ever move back to the USA, if I want to leave Thailand I think I would try the Philippines or possibly some ware in South America. It’s just no fun in the USA for me anymore.

The USA is a very beautiful country but it’s kind of like having the same piece of chewing gum in your mouth for too long it loses its flavor and you want to taste something different. I like the complete 180 culture change, learning the new language, eating the new food, relationships with a new kind of women, it’s exciting not the same old predictable life.

The reality is I go to sleep at night here and I have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming. It’s not all that all of the time but for me I’m very happy now, much more than I was before I moved here.

R…

OK so it looks as though you're never too young to retire in Thailand. My concern is when is one too old to consider retiring in Thailand?

My wife (Thai) of 20 years is saying that we shouldn't move to Thailand because at my age (70) having access to expert medical attention might be the most important thing to consider.

So, sellup and take up residence in LOS where the climate will according to some of you relioeve the aches and pains associated with increasing age, or stay in the Nanny state of Western Australia, where violence and crime seems to be increasing daily? Of course if you are a victim of violent home invasion or road rage there is ready access to medical treatment providing you're not actually dead.

My dream of 30 years ago, of living in the LOS has lost some of the drive that made it so attractive. I can still eat good Thai food every day and cuddle a laughing Thai lady but it's not quite the same as it was back then. :o

OK so it looks as though you're never too young to retire in Thailand. My concern is when is one too old to consider retiring in Thailand?

My wife (Thai) of 20 years is saying that we shouldn't move to Thailand because at my age (70) having access to expert medical attention might be the most important thing to consider.

So, sellup and take up residence in LOS where the climate will according to some of you relioeve the aches and pains associated with increasing age, or stay in the Nanny state of Western Australia, where violence and crime seems to be increasing daily? Of course if you are a victim of violent home invasion or road rage there is ready access to medical treatment providing you're not actually dead.

My dream of 30 years ago, of living in the LOS has lost some of the drive that made it so attractive. I can still eat good Thai food every day and cuddle a laughing Thai lady but it's not quite the same as it was back then. :o

You're 70 and U have a 20 year old wife!! You dirty old geezer you. JUST JOKING at your choice of words. I thought road rage and violent home invasions were the exclusive domain of USA. Fortunately for me, I think my access to average medical care is quicker in LOS than back home and a lot cheaper. Expert medical care is available in BKK, if you don't mind the hassles of big city life.

You're 70 and U have a 20 year old wife!! You dirty old geezer you. JUST JOKING at your choice of words. I thought road rage and violent home invasions were the exclusive domain of USA. Fortunately for me, I think my access to average medical care is quicker in LOS than back home and a lot cheaper. Expert medical care is available in BKK, if you don't mind the hassles of big city life.

Hi Chonburi,

My wife and I plan to retire to Thailand in 10 - 12 years time. I will be close to 60 then. She worries about medical care as I am diabetic. Others have assured me that if you have a few baht, you can probably get much better and immediate medical care in LOS than in Ireland, where we live.

More importantly for both of us, I lived in Thailand for approx. 8 years (some of that coming and going) and it was the happiest time of my life. I realise, my enjoyment may have had much to do with my younger age. In Thailand I experienced a wide range of emotions - love, anger, frustration, awe etc. but was NEVER bored. The country and people are so different.

I feel to retire there and enjoy a few years of old age is far more attrative than living on pension in over priced western country. Quality of life over quantiity of life -if you get my drift.

Joe

Excellent advice!!

I was super fit when 18, had a very unfit 15 years, now never felt better at 42.

Why at 42 are you so anxious? Don't you have better things on your mind? Are you already suffering from erectile disfunction? If so, I understand your question and can sympathise with you, though my sympathy will not benefit you.

If, as I suspect, you are now in the peak of health, don't worry. At age 74 I'm still firing on most cylinders with enough lead in my pencil to satisfy a horny wife, 36 years my junior.....and yes, I did suffer the odd temporary lapse in my libido. Doesn't everybody? Anyway, sex stimulation is mostly in the mind. That's why, I have accepted, to a degree, a slowly declining physical condition (arthritic elbow) but I try to remain mentally alert and mentally occupied. Mental activity is one of the blessing of old age (except for those poor unfortunates, cursed with Altzheimers)

I was never an athlete as some of the posters here but yes, I was super fit in my earlier years and I was happy to take early retirement at age 55 because my nest egg was sufficient for my needs. I simply opted to get off of the western treadmill. Yes, I'm retired in Thailand. I'm a Brit ex-pat if you want to measure my remarks.

I spent most of my 20s and 30s chasing that elusive thing we call security. When I found it, I discovered I didn't need it and money wasn't all that important, after all. I evolved into the contentment of knowing that life holds adventure. (And no, I'm not so smug as to think that money doesn't have it's place. We all need some, the dilemma is deciding how much is enough.)

To help you on your way, I offer a gem from the mouth of an anonymous phylosopher:-

To discover the difference between success and happiness is to understand that success is getting what you want (when you approach the summit, your target, it retreats ever higher and further away). You never quite get there. Happiness, on the other hand is liking what you've already got.

Retirement is said, in some quarters, to be a threat or a challenge. I have discovered that it is not and never was a threat. It most certainly is a very enjoyable challenge. I believe I know what is ahead of me and I don't dread it at all. Like some previous poster advised....maximise every moment...pack a month into a week and don't waste life

dreaming about the impossible or the improbable.

If all this is incomprehensible, let me crystalise and put it into a nut shell for you. (No, I am not being patronising or disparaging...that's not my agenda) When you are invited to a party, if you have a decent attitude with good manners, your host will invite you a second and a third time, regardless of your age and stamina.

A sense of humour adds many years to your life.

alex8

Knowing that it can be misleading, sometimes dangerous, to offer advice as opposed to information, I opt to offer information. Each man/woman gathers information and make up their own minds. Nobody but nobody can tell you what to do or how to run your own life. A homily: I was told, when leaving high school that one needs only two personal qualities to succeed in life, enterprise and opportunity. If you have enough of the former you can manufacture the latter.....end of rant.

alex8

Good luck.

R.

You have a good understanding of where I'm at now. For the most part I've played my cards right and dream of living in Thailand in the near future. I too found it a difficult decision in regards to moving to Thailand. The decision today is not complicated by money, which was the reason I chose not to move years ago.

The rat race the last few years hasn't been all that bad. Each year was challenging and definitely rewarding.

As I get older, more exciting possibilities unveil themselves. Realizing that life will always present different opportunities, escapes me at times. Like some posters stated - I need to just relax.

Excellent advice!!

Why at 42 are you so anxious? Don't you have better things on your mind? Are you already suffering from erectile disfunction? If so, I understand your question and can sympathise with you, though my sympathy will not benefit you.

If, as I suspect, you are now in the peak of health, don't worry. At age 74 I'm still firing on most cylinders with enough lead in my pencil to satisfy a horny wife, 36 years my junior.....and yes, I did suffer the odd temporary lapse in my libido. Doesn't everybody? Anyway, sex stimulation is mostly in the mind. That's why, I have accepted, to a degree, a slowly declining physical condition (arthritic elbow) but I try to remain mentally alert and mentally occupied. Mental activity is one of the blessing of old age (except for those poor unfortunates, cursed with Altzheimers)

I was never an athlete as some of the posters here but yes, I was super fit in my earlier years and I was happy to take early retirement at age 55 because my nest egg was sufficient for my needs. I simply opted to get off of the western treadmill. Yes, I'm retired in Thailand. I'm a Brit ex-pat if you want to measure my remarks.

I spent most of my 20s and 30s chasing that elusive thing we call security. When I found it, I discovered I didn't need it and money wasn't all that important, after all. I evolved into the contentment of knowing that life holds adventure. (And no, I'm not so smug as to think that money doesn't have it's place. We all need some, the dilemma is deciding how much is enough.)

To help you on your way, I offer a gem from the mouth of an anonymous phylosopher:-

To discover the difference between success and happiness is to understand that success is getting what you want (when you approach the summit, your target, it retreats ever higher and further away). You never quite get there. Happiness, on the other hand is liking what you've already got.

Retirement is said, in some quarters, to be a threat or a challenge. I have discovered that it is not and never was a threat. It most certainly is a very enjoyable challenge. I believe I know what is ahead of me and I don't dread it at all. Like some previous poster advised....maximise every moment...pack a month into a week and don't waste life

dreaming about the impossible or the improbable.

If all this is incomprehensible, let me crystalise and put it into a nut shell for you. (No, I am not being patronising or disparaging...that's not my agenda) When you are invited to a party, if you have a decent attitude with good manners, your host will invite you a second and a third time, regardless of your age and stamina.

A sense of humour adds many years to your life.

alex8

Well, Hopefully I can match your stamina. 34 more years of bliss. We have a consensus - with a little luck and good health, life is can be exceptional at any age. Any members in their 80s?

I have been retired in Thailand for six years and I enjoy myself even more than when I first got here. Most of the annoying challenges of building a house and finding sources for my favorite foods and supplies for my hobbies

As a pre-computer generation person, I find the computer and the internet always a challenge and a constant reward for my minor victories.

I am self generating as to entertainment so boredom is never an issue. Couch potato-itis is a concern. I wanted to "relax" after a very busy and stressful life and that is what I have done, with all the attendant joys it offers for me. Having never had a home life growing up, my home now is my castle in every sense of the word and having traveled the world over before retiring, that is not an interest.

Likewise, I have to work hard to spend all of my pension every month in Thailand, and believe me my pension is not all that big. The retirement planners that say you need 60% of your pre-retirement income in retirement are just plain wrong in my case.

My only word of advice to those below 50 and contemplating life in retirement is that your mind set at that age is not the mind set that you will be operating from when your in retirement so, as they say, don't compare apples with oranges.

Those driven their whole life to accumulate wealth, most certainly will not suddenly stop that ingrained habit upon retirement. That is one of the reason I don't believe the former Thai PM when he says he is happy to just "retire".

The stock market markedly reduced my nest egg when I first came to Thailand much to my consternation, until I realized that I didn't need that money and the only one who could be possibly be concerned was my daughter regarding here inheritance and she is so well off that she could care less.

I suspect that when I finally pass from this world, my remaining nest egg will be intact, as it is not my nature to spend more than my income stream.

All the foregoing are issues that affect how ones enjoys retirement. No pre-retirement travel, provide for that in retirement, inadequate pension for country you live in, move to a country with lowest cost of living but still habitable ie. Thailand, and have a nest egg to tide you over when your pension becomes inadequate to live on at the level you expect to live.

Bottom line, know yourself and what makes you happy and then provide for it in retirement, taking into account the lifestyle of most retirees and their expense profile as it relates to your disposition.