Aging And Your Life In Thailand

siamamerican

I just hit 40 and for the first time realizing, I'm not able to do the things I was once capable of doing physically. I've lived a physical lifestyle and for some reason pride myself in the fact that few can keep up with me physically. Sounds vain, because it is, but I can live with this vanity.

Did many of you older ex pats move to Thailand to extend your youth or other personal vanities? We only have one chance to make the best of this life, and why not take advantage of every opportunity.

As for me, I'm moving to Thailand to take advantage of my semi-youth. I could work and have a good time for another 15 years in the USA. I opted for moving to Thailand next year and having a GREAT life.

How has aging impacted your time in Thailand? Looking back, was the time spent in Thailand more fulfilling than it would have been back home?

I just hit 40 and for the first time realizing, I'm not able to do the things I was once capable of doing physically. I've lived a physical lifestyle and for some reason pride myself in the fact that few can keep up with me physically. Sounds vain, because it is, but I can live with this vanity.

Did many of you older ex pats move to Thailand to extend your youth or other personal vanities? We only have one chance to make the best of this life, and why not take advantage of every opportunity.

As for me, I'm moving to Thailand to take advantage of my semi-youth. I could work and have a good time for another 15 years in the USA. I opted for moving to Thailand next year and having a GREAT life.

How has aging impacted your time in Thailand? Looking back, was the time spent in Thailand more fulfilling than it would have been back home?

Thailands not the best place in the world to keep yourself in good shape. Of course you can but its not so easy. The great heat makes it difficult to put as many miles in on the racing bike as I would wish and the roads are so dangerous and pot holed anyway that I ended up with a mountain bike. I miss the cols of france and Italy and the crisp mountain air. It depends what you want. Certainly I wouldnt want to do any serious training on a Thai diet and if you are in the sticks its difficult to get simple things like pasta. I dive as well but the waters are so polluted unless you get right away from the commercial dive centres. None of the boats are properly serviced and the standard of training over here is a joke. The aim is to part the fat falang from his or her money as soon a posible rather than make sure they are safe and properly trained before they dive. They dont even count them in and out in Pattaya. Its only a matter of time before someone is left out at sea. So I guess it depends on what you want. I am sure you could have just as great a life and stay fit or fitter elsewhere but the cheapness is hard to beat and that's really what keeps us here.

I too would like to move to Thailand under the guise of you only live once so might as well go where I feel I can live to the fullest however I have not come up with a way to move to Thailand without great sacrifices. I have balanced the pros of cons of my life in the USA vs that of one in Thailand for years. I have decided for a short time at least I need to burn through some savings, explore and have some sort of adventure which Thailand seems to offer. However at one point I will need to continue saving money and will need a job to do so. After I'm done cruising around Thailand I'll probably need to either go home or possibly to Singapore. Unless you are ready to retire it's a difficult decision that'll have to come down to you weighing the odds of happiness with staying where you are or going to LOS.

58 but no stopping me ...lighten up ...4 fk sake

Not sure if the "fk sake" was directed at me or the previous poster.

Regardless, nice to hear you still haven't stopped enjoying life. The point of the post was to get some input from older posters about their life in Thailand. I'm 18 years from 58, and lack the first hand knowledge of what that entails.

I've had a great life and with any luck, nothing will stop me from doing that well into the future. Life changes and what I enjoy now will evolve in my later years.

If I offended the previous poster and yourself, I apologize. I could have made this post as a semi-young 68, but I'm not.

Thailands not the best place in the world to keep yourself in good shape. Of course you can but its not so easy. The great heat makes it difficult to put as many miles in on the racing bike as I would wish and the roads are so dangerous and pot holed anyway that I ended up with a mountain bike. I miss the cols of france and Italy and the crisp mountain air. It depends what you want. Certainly I wouldnt want to do any serious training on a Thai diet and if you are in the sticks its difficult to get simple things like pasta. I dive as well but the waters are so polluted unless you get right away from the commercial dive centres. None of the boats are properly serviced and the standard of training over here is a joke. The aim is to part the fat falang from his or her money as soon a posible rather than make sure they are safe and properly trained before they dive. They dont even count them in and out in Pattaya. Its only a matter of time before someone is left out at sea. So I guess it depends on what you want. I am sure you could have just as great a life and stay fit or fitter elsewhere but the cheapness is hard to beat and that's really what keeps us here.

Not planning on serious training - just staying fit. In CM, there were a few riders that could push me and I managed to stay in OK shape. I learned the hard way that road riding is a death wish. If the fumes don't kill you, the cars will. After the second time a car hit me and spending a month in the hospital, I promised the wife and myself, no more biking on the streets.

Guess I'll need some other hobbies. Hence the topic of my frivolous post

Paul Simon had a song whose title says it all: "Sooner or later, everything that's put together, falls apart." I'm swimming less than half as much as I did at the beach in Mexico, to where I may very well return next year. The month or two of unbelievably horrid smoke pollution we had this year is not something I care to repeat annually. I fell off a sports bike two years ago, but still have most of the mobility in that arm. Then a stroke this year in that arm, but still regained mobility. High blood pressure, easily controlled by drugs and diet.

Siamamerican, 40 is an incredibly young age at which to retire. More likely, you'll just switch occupations and do something, anything. The general rule is still "use it or lose it."

I agree with PB, doubt that one really retires at 40, just changes direction. However comma, seems to me if you have been here long enough to get hit by a car whilst bysycling, twice, and spend a month in a Thai hospital, you should have most of the answers you are seeking.

Paul Simon had a song whose title says it all: "Sooner or later, everything that's put together, falls apart." I'm swimming less than half as much as I did at the beach in Mexico, to where I may very well return next year. The month or two of unbelievably horrid smoke pollution we had this year is not something I care to repeat annually. I fell off a sports bike two years ago, but still have most of the mobility in that arm. Then a stroke this year in that arm, but still regained mobility. High blood pressure, easily controlled by drugs and diet.

Siamamerican, 40 is an incredibly young age at which to retire. More likely, you'll just switch occupations and do something, anything. The general rule is still "use it or lose it."

A couple bad years, in regards to your health - best wishes.

No stopping the aging process, but is it possible to enjoy most years more than the prior. Some have managed to do just that and I'm a perpetual dreamer.

You're are probably correct - more than likely, I'll switch occupations. The options are limited in Thailand and the compensation is a challenge. I have a decent nest egg, but by no means am I wealthy. If I spend more than 70k baht a month, I'll need to work a little. My goal is to have same savings(adjusted for inflation) as I have today when I'm 65.

It's odd you mentioned the pollution. This is also one of my biggest concerns. A friend in CM recently put his condo on the market and is moving back to the states because of the smoke.

Ages ending in 0 tend to be milestones. I was pretty immature as a teenager so 20 was a turning point. 30 was a psychological thing, the end of youth and the start of middle age, the "hope I die 'fore I get old" thing was gone forever. I was married, mortgaged and the patter of little feet resounded through my house. I remember having lots of sex the eve of my 30th. Trying to prove something?

40 was also a time of change, I too had worked hard, possibly drank too much and my back was starting to hurt, my basketball ankle throbbed after walking too much. I suppose I was starting to feel older. A huge party that year.

50 was the year of discontent, my career was gone, I was already semi-retired but comfortably off and my marriage was on the skids. I refused to have a party and acted surly all day.

"We are not now that strength that in the old days

Moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are….."

Two years later I was out of there, living with a woman thirty years my junior in Vientiane. Middle age meltdown.

I'm 60 next year and hope I'm content.

Edited by sceadugenga

I think there is a fundemental flaw in your thinking (and in the thinking of many people who come to Thailand for similar reasons - extending their 'physical lives').

Life is not only about the 'physical existance'. Aging is if nothing else about the acceptance that youth and physical strength are passing, that these things will inevitably pass and coming to terms with the end of life.

I'd say don't dodge that issue and start to think about balancing life's physical, emmotional and spiritual facets.

You've identified vantity yourself, and self pleasing as it is, it is also self deceiving.

In my youth I was a competative cyclist, raced at national and international level and enjoyed a measure of success. Serious illness in my mid thirties put an end to my cycling and serious sport days. But the challlenge of health brought with it a need, or a chance (depending on if you are a glass half empty/half full kind of person) to address the issues of failing health and youth from a emotional and spiritual sense.

I think Thailand offers older people an environment that is gentle to many of age's aches and pains, for many the attraction of freedom from rhumatic pains is surely something to lookforward too.

Thailand undoubtedly offers a sense of dignity and respect for older people (provided they have the financial backing to pay for the services they need).

But Thailand also offers a deception that can and often does distract older guys from facing the truth about their age - and in old age we all need to face that truth.

If we do, then we might any of us discover the truth of what an old friend once said to me "Age, as someone once said to me, does not come alone. It has many many compensations".

Edited by GuestHouse

In better shape now than I was in high school running/playing varsity track and tennis. Well, better shape, maybe not as fast in pure speed. :o The LOS allows you to delegate work (if you have to work) and errands to others and definitely allows you more gym time (+ time for whatever other hobbies or vices you have) if you want it.

:D

I think there is a fundemental flaw in your thinking (and in the thinking of many people who come to Thailand for similar reasons - extending their 'physical lives').

Life is not only about the 'physical existance'. Aging is if nothing else about the acceptance that youth and physical strength are passing, that these things will inevitably pass and coming to terms with the end of life.

I'd say don't dodge that issue and start to think about balancing life's physical, emmotional and spiritual facets.

You've identified vantity yourself, and self pleasing as it is, it is also self deceiving.

In my youth I was a competative cyclist, raced at national and international level and enjoyed a measure of success. Serious illness in my mid thirties put an end to my cycling and serious sport days. But the challlenge of health brought with it a need, or a chance (depending on if you are a glass half empty/half full kind of person) to address the issues of failing health and youth from a emotional and spiritual sense.

I think Thailand offers older people an environment that is gentle to many of age's aches and pains, for many the attraction of freedom from rhumatic pains is surely something to lookforward too.

Thailand undoubtedly offers a sense of dignity and respect for older people (provided they have the financial backing to pay for the services they need).

But Thailand also offers a deception that can and often does distract older guys from facing the truth about their age - and in old age we all need to face that truth.

If we do, then we might any of us discover the truth of what an old friend once said to me "Age, as someone once said to me, does not come alone. It has many many compensations".

Great post.

Age has brought many compensations. Money, confidence, and pleasure.

My original post was a little disjointed. I'm not moving to Thailand to extend my physical life - just want to live more in the moment.

I've adjusted to living in America the last 4 years and enjoy most days. Working as much as I do and accomplishing the goals I've set, makes living in the moment difficult. I have now accomplished what I set out to do 4 years ago and want to try growing old in Thailand.

I'm sure retiring/semi-retiring in Thailand will have it own set of challenges. My last long stay in Thailand I was very content. I kept busy and really enjoyed that period of my life.

I'm hoping growing old will be as satisfying as the past.

The Thai sun will do wonders for your skin.

Too much love will kill you.

If you like to drink, yikes!

Come without expectations as you will not get what you want at the speed you want. Learn to live with less. You'll hardly ever get exactly what you want but you will get by.

Just be prepared to take it easy.

BTW you can't hold onto your youth here.

I too would like to move to Thailand under the guise of you only live once so might as well go where I feel I can live to the fullest however I have not come up with a way to move to Thailand without great sacrifices. I have balanced the pros of cons of my life in the USA vs that of one in Thailand for years. I have decided for a short time at least I need to burn through some savings, explore and have some sort of adventure which Thailand seems to offer. However at one point I will need to continue saving money and will need a job to do so. After I'm done cruising around Thailand I'll probably need to either go home or possibly to Singapore. Unless you are ready to retire it's a difficult decision that'll have to come down to you weighing the odds of happiness with staying where you are or going to LOS.

Been in your shoes and did exactly what you discussed. Moved to Thailand for 4 years, went through my cash, and returned to America to make some more.

If you're in your early thirties and confident you can make money after a staying in Thailand for a few years, go for it. It was the best time of my life. Now if you're in your late thirties or older and only have enough to money to last a few years, then I wouldn't risk it.

Thailand is addictive and I almost made a go at it a few years back with 2 mil baht in the bank. I actually made a post here, asking for advice. Most members (a few them have posted on this thread) told me to stick it out and so glad I did. I might have put together a good life in Thailand with my meager savings, but it will be easier now, knowing that there is only a very small possibility of ever being broke and desperate.

My guess is that all of the posters so far are much younger than I am so I feel I can speak authoritatively about getting old, older in Thailand.

For a guy who played tournament, not professional, tennis, not playing singles anymore, as younger players just wait for the third set to win, was no big deal. I still serve and volley, much to the discomfiture of base line club players who just stand there and spend the evening rallying with each other without moving side to side and calling it a "tennis match".

Only play during the winter months, due to the heat and humidity, but i have a full home gym so I can work out in air conditioned comfort and don't have to wait for equipment, when I am on a workout tear.

I am carrying many more kilos than when I came to Thailand, but I am still only carrying one more pound per year of life over my college weight.

I now eat what I want and don't worry about the waistline. A blessing for a fitness madman. Surprisingly, my weight didn't keep ballooning up once I reached my current 100Kgs, but then I am 190 in height.

Aging gracefully is the key and if one matures well, one's attitude changes with each advancing year, so what was important at an early age, drifts away and morphs into age appropriate behavior.

All one has to do is look at dyed hair, so easy to spot, because it is not an appropriate color for the age of the person, as well as not looking natural. Nature lightens the hair by graying it so it will soften the countenance. My point is, let nature take its course, use the mind constantly in any mental activity that interests you and you will be fine wherever you choose to live.

We who are older are apt to say about our fitness, "We don't concern ourselves as to how it looks, only as to whether it works!!"

Edited by ProThaiExpat

What's the difference between good and GREAT life? My 3 years in Thailand have been 100% more fufilling than back home, except for possibly earning more money, if I could get another job. Social life in USA - ZERO. Maybe I could beg some Grandma to let me clean out her garage & hope it might lead to social inter-action. Many American younger set busy snorting, smoking or injecting some illegal substance or other & listening to "bang-your-head music. Not my idea of fun. I am a fossil there, no so in Thailand.

I wonder how long it'll be before this thread turns into another wrinkly basher.

We're all heading down the same road at at our own chosen pace but we can't stop the march of time.

Why not just be grateful you're alive, wherever you are?

Forget Thailand as a magic potion, if you don't take care of your body, where else are you going to live?

As far as I'm concerned, it's not the time you have left but rather how you use it that's paramount.

And the only thing that will change in time is the erroneous belief that growing old won't happen to you.

Edited by qwertz

Thailands not the best place in the world to keep yourself in good shape. Of course you can but its not so easy. The great heat makes it difficult to put as many miles in on the racing bike as I would wish and the roads are so dangerous and pot holed anyway that I ended up with a mountain bike. I miss the cols of france and Italy and the crisp mountain air. It depends what you want. Certainly I wouldnt want to do any serious training on a Thai diet and if you are in the sticks its difficult to get simple things like pasta.

Bike is dangerous also on every big european cities....but i need a bit of gyn, during winter it is not impossibly hot. The thai diet is a bit worrying, no meat, no pasta....good for losing weight but not for exercising...

uhm...i should have taken some pills on my last trip tu US....

Ah, you'll feel great here.

Most of the Thais and the farangs, who lift weights, run, cycle, or swim, aren't all that keen on speed/performance, so even in your "declining" condition, you'll feel like a real athlete in LOS.

Of course, there will a few ultra-monster athletes around to remind you how old you are, but those are far and few in between. Just pretend you don't see them.

Best thing about sports, particularly endurance sports, here in LOS is that you can get a great and inexpensive deep-tissue massage afterward!

And, yeah, the roads here are really scary.

I don't know about fit old guys in Thailand but here's as story to warm the heart and pride of a few old guys.

When in my early twenties I competed for the first time in a 5O mile time trial (twenty five miles out and twenty five miles back so there was no 'wind advantage').

I had already earned my national stripes and competed several times on the continent, so I fiugered I was pretty nippy on a bike.

Finishing with what I thought was a respectable 1 hour 56 minutes and a handful of seconds I was sitting on the grass waiting for the final results, only to hear I had taken second place, beaten by over a minute (and a minute is a long time in at Time Trial) by a certain Harry Hill.

I shook my hand and congratulated me on having run hime close (not close at all).

Harry was 65 years old!

And a legend of British Cycling An Old Star

Edited by GuestHouse

I used to ;ove time trials and road racing when I was young, Sold my bike to (was is ) Reg.Halls in Manchester in the early 1960s for £150 and bought an engagement ring!!!!

At the age of 35 I was inspired when an old codger came back in his 60s and took the world record for some sprint or other- his name now escapes me( was it Reg Harris>) but is that the sangsom or my age?

Anyway i bought another bike and a set of rollers and hammered them for a few weeks then ventured forth on the roads again,Wow as a kid I never understood what saddle sore was!!!!

I had an offer to go professional for gitane when I was 17. Ispoke a little french then and should have aken it bit the little head ruled. By the way Gh what was you best time for a 25?

Mine was 58.34 at Chelmsford and was a record at that time.

Now aged 60 i still can get the hots for a group of racing bikes pushing hard buut know that it is only wishfull thinking.