Thai Language Skills

GuestHouse

How Good is your Thai  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm fluent in Thai, I studied the language at a Thai university for two years and made quite an effort to learn the language at every oportunity I have had.

I have met very few foreigners who speak good Thai, hence the survey.

Im not as good as I once thought, although I have enough behind me to live here and converse ok. I should go to school, but am to ###### hypo to sit in a class or study from home.

Pom Phut Thai Tamada, mai chaat, mai keng - poddy poddy! :o

I'm still learning! (2 hours every day...) My spoken Thai is 'conversational'. My written/reading Thai is coming on leaps and bounds (but still give me a few years before I can claim to be halfway decent!) :o

I voted "I speak enough to get by "....... ได้นิดหน่อย,แต่ไม่เก่ง! :D

I can read and write better than I can speak. I've been studying Thai on and off on my own for five years now, two years before I actually set foot in Thailand.

During the brief times while I was there, I tried to speak to Thais, but they just could not understand me, so I gave up and used English. :D. I was told by my friend that It is ok to use English if one is only in Thailand for a week or two, but any longer than that, it is advisable to learn Thai!

Only this year have I actually seriously started to take Thai language classes. I'm sure if I lived in Thailand, my language ability would much better by now.

There really aren't that many Thais here in NYC, except in the Thai resturants ( and I try to use my Thai there...sometimes they understand me, sometime they don't understand me, either because my tones are way off, or they are non Thai speaking Thai Americans... :o )

Thai Homework is a pain though... :D

In my family we speak Thai, and I get picked up on my tonal pronunciation.

I will talk on the phone, but a lot depends on how helpful I want to be.

If I am the customer paying the bill, I will speak English and make them do the work.

Very few come up to standard.

So I relent and speak Thai just to get the job done.

Edited by astral