Compaq Or Acer?

jingjingna

The choice is between the Acer Aspire 4710Z-3A0516Mi (Linux) OR the Compaq Presarion V3416TU (Dos)

In the past I have mostly used Hp or Compaq but Acer seems to be quite popular at the moment and it looks nicer than the Compaq. Both have Intel Duo Core processors, 1.86Ghz, 512MB..specs are roughly the same but then again I am no expert!

Which one would you choose and why?

I'm extremely happy with my new Acer. I chose it because of the extensive 'walk in' service network in Thailand and the free 1 year insurance which covers accidental loss or damage. I'd seriously doubt that there's much difference in quality between any of the manufacturers these days, given they all use similar components, so these things definitely swayed my decision.

I have two Acers and plan to buy more in the future. Most trouble-free systems I've owned to date. :o

My niece sells laptops to on the road sales men. She told me that the best is acer in terms of value for money and relaibility. She says the tech guys tend to buy it whatever else they sell

We've had horrible reliability problems with Acer lap tops and lcd monitors. We also had terrible problems with Compaq laptops (including *rust* falling out of the air vents!) although we haven't bought one for a couple of years as a result.

Are you really stuck with these brands? Some of Toshiba lap tops are reasonably priced and quality is ok.

Edited by Crushdepth

Acer :o

Yeah, the reason I went for the Acer ws the local repair. Compaq in my opinion is a better unit but the moment something goes wrong you'll wish you had bought an Acer.

THE most reliable laptop is and always has been the toshibas, can drop the things from 3 feet up RUNNING and they still work. heh

Greg

Yeah, the reason I went for the Acer ws the local repair. Compaq in my opinion is a better unit but the moment something goes wrong you'll wish you had bought an Acer.

THE most reliable laptop is and always has been the toshibas, can drop the things from 3 feet up RUNNING and they still work. heh

Greg

I've had two bad toshiba(s). If you can afford them I'd go with Asus personally.

Greg

I've had two bad toshiba(s). If you can afford them I'd go with Asus personally.

Asus? they are fairly new to the Laptop/Computer business. not sure if i'd trust em yet :D

I'm on a limited budget and the Acer and Compaq models in OP are the two that meet my basic requirements. Asus haven't been around long enough for me to consider. Toshiba..out of my budget and not a name I would personally go for when buying a notebook..perhaps if I were looking for a fridge or fan then maybe :o

Thanks for all the replies so far...anyone else got any comments on Acer or Compaq brands?

Had an Acer that was superb for many years.. Brother has had non stop hel_l with a compaq that they essentially have never been able to get working as it should (dvd burner)..

Secondly acer support when I did have a problem were great.. Even tho the machine was out of warrantee, they fixed it and let the bill slide.. Most impressed. I will buy acer again if the price is right.

I'm on a limited budget and the Acer and Compaq models in OP are the two that meet my basic requirements. Asus haven't been around long enough for me to consider. Toshiba..out of my budget and not a name I would personally go for when buying a notebook..perhaps if I were looking for a fridge or fan then maybe :o

Thanks for all the replies so far...anyone else got any comments on Acer or Compaq brands?

ACER every time i,m on my second 1 now the first did me well for 3 years NO problems ...... :D

I'm using an Acer Travelmate that I bought over 4 years ago, when I'm in Japan it is on 24/7 and working on downloads much of that time.

I upgraded the Disc to 60GB from 20GB after a couple of years, and the thing is still working well. It has no tv out, it's a very basic model, 37000 Baht over 4 years ago, at that time 37,000 Baht didn't buy much!

I personally cannot fault Acer as the one I have has been virtually faultless in 4 years, with very heavy use.

Oh, my Battery dosn't work, there is about 5 seconds of power only, but I only use it with AC so have never bothered with a battery replacement.

I would certainly buy another Acer when this one finally gives up.

Edited by Maigo6

Acer quality goes up and down - anything related to the previous generation probably doesn't apply anymore.

The previous generation TravelMate and Aspire had tons of quality problems but the new line-up looks a lot more solid in terms of hardware.

The gemstone lineup (4710Z-3A0516Mi is one of them) was designed by a BMW design studio which normally does the interiors of BMWs. So it should hold up well.

Acer Thailand service has been outstanding for me, and it's the main reason I bought another Acer - a trouble free TM 8204 - after owning a total lemon in the TM 4600. With the 4600 I had plenty of opportunities to check out Acer service, and it was flawless. Fixed everything in a very timely manner, replaced everything that was broken, etc.

Heard good things about HP/compaq service as well but no first hand experience. They did replace a friend's battery even though the laptop was just out of its 1 year warranty which ranks pretty highly in my book.

Nikster, that's the model I'm going for..from your description it sounds impresssive! Okay, guys that's me sorted!

Thanks once again to everyone for their input to this thread. My mind has been made up, Acer it is :o

Edited by jingjingna

Go with the ACER. I worked at COMPAQ before and despite the fact that their name is supposed to stand for COMPAtibility and Quality. Their products really do suck. We get so many complaints and problems right out of the box, its mind boggling.

I'm really impressed with the ACERs, considering what they cost.

Hi all!

Just got back with my new Acer laptop and it's Ace, very pleased with it! Thanks to all of you for your reccomendations, if it wasn't for your valuable input to this thread, I would have probably gone for Compaq...So, THANKS once again! :o

Had a compaq laptop and desktop before. Big design faults in the laptop. It was made of a crappy plastic chassis that could be pried open easily and the fan didn't start working until the CPU was overheating and by which time it was too late, the mainboard, hard disk, and monitor had to be changed twice due to this fault. The desktop was a piece of shit because most of the upgradeable parts were proprietary design so you had to get them from compaq.

• 2 weeks later...

Acer:

Pros:

Cheap

Serviced locally

Cons:

Cheap - Looks cheap, sounds cheap (the tiny, squeaky speakers are annoying!), and feels cheap(breaks apart sooo easily).

:o Everyone would know you are on a tight budget.

Serviced locally - See the long line of people in every service center. It speaks of how badly built their machines are.

Oh by the way, mine is an HP. I've had for more than a year now. Never had any problem at all.

Edited by sensei

I disagree on the quality issues with the exception of the speakers which I must agree are total crap. :o

Definitely definitely Acer, my compaq just failed and after much much research found its a well known fault that no one can rectify. The wireless card just disappears, goes from device manager and is no longer detected. Found a site with 265 and growing postings on the problem. No one, no tech guy, no expert, no one has been able to solve it. No one knows if its hardware or softward. Suggestions have been motherboard, power isssue, siting of card, sequencing of startup. It is fixed with a new motherboard but just happens again several months later. Perhaps as hard drive fills up or power is allocated again. The card disappears after hibernation never to reappear. Several hundred people have sworn to never buy HP or Compaq again. I only have one because I sent out a friend to buy an Acer and she came back with a Compaq. I know nothing about tech issues but if anyone wants to read the very long thread its on

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/...136984+28353475

I have had company Toshiba, HP , compaq but I always have and always will buy for my self and family ACER best value service and features .. PS I now buy ACER for the company use