Thai Generals Vie To Become New Army Chief

LaoPo

Last I heard was that there wasn't going to be an announcement. An odd comment was made about seeing if it leaked, and that the list would be promulgated in the normal manner, which I think means later this week.

Ok thanks.

They are playing with our nerves. :o

Not really colonel, since the early 1990s, 25 provinces , including your wife's Chiang Rai, have been under martial law.

I don't think it affected TRT activity.

No, my wife is not from Chiang Rai.

Any substantiation that 25 Provinces have been since he early 90's under martial law?

There are a few references, although ALL refer to 21 Provinces rather than the 25 Siripon stated.

A recent one is from The Nation,s Avudh Panananda, which stated:

Many parts of Thailand have remained under martial law for decades and no one seems to have noticed it.

To allow soldiers to protect the porous borderline, martial law has been enforced since the Cold War. In 1991, the Anand Panyarachun government placed 21 provinces under martial law and at least three general elections have taken place smoothly despite the security measures.

The CNS has enlarged the martial law areas with 14 additional provinces.

source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/09/04...cs_30047630.php

However a perhaps more accurate account is from the Bangkok Post 3rd May 1991

Prime Minister Anand Panyarachun countersigned a royal command last night lifting martial law in most of the country, effective from today. But martial law will remain in force in border districts (in 21 provinces around the country) and the ban on political gatherings issued by the NPCK has yet to be revoked. Under NPCK Order No.7, political gatherings of five person or more are banned.

Martial law will remain in force in the following provinces and districts:

Kanchanaburi: Muang, Thong Pha Phum, Sai Yoke, Sri Sawat & Sang Khla;

Chanthaburi: Pong Nam Ron & Ma Kham;

Chiang Rai: Chiang Khong, Chiang Saen, Thoeng, Mae Chan, Mae Sai & Wieng Kaen;

Chiang Mai: Chiang Dao, Fang, Mae Ai, Wieng Haeng & Chiang Dao;

Trat: All districts;

Tak: Tha Song Yang, Pob Phra, Mae Ramat, Mae Sot & Um Phang;

Narathiwat: Cha Nae, Ra Ngae, Waeng, Sri Sa Khon & Su Khi Rind;

Nan: Chiang Klang, Thung Chang, Na Noi, Pua, Mae Cha Rim, Wiang Sa, Bo Klua & Santisuk;

Buriram: Ban Kruat & La Han Sai;

Prachinburi: Klong Hat, Ta Phraya, Wang Nam Yen, Wat Tananakhon & Aranya Prathet;

Phayao: Chiang Kham;

Phitsanulok: Chart Trakarn & Nakhon Thai;

Mae Hong Son: All districts;

Yala: Tharn To, Betong, Banang Sata & Yaha;

Loei: Chiang Khan, Dan Sai, Tha Lee, Na Haew & Phu Rua;

Sisaket: Khu Khan, Khun Han & Kantharalak;

Song Khla: Nathawee, Sa Dao & Sa Ba Yoi;

Satun: Muang;

Surin: Kab Choeng, Bua Chet, Prasat & Sang Ka;

Uttaradit: Nam Pad & Fak Tha;

Ubon Ratchathani: Kemma Rath, Khong Chiem, Cha Nu Man, Na Chaluey, Nam Yuen, Undarik and Pibunmang Sahan.

Not really colonel, since the early 1990s, 25 provinces , including your wife's Chiang Rai, have been under martial law.

I don't think it affected TRT activity.

No, my wife is not from Chiang Rai.

Any substantiation that 25 Provinces have been since he early 90's under martial law?

There are a few references, although ALL refer to 21 Provinces rather than the 25 Siripon stated.

A recent one is from The Nation,s Avudh Panananda, which stated:

Many parts of Thailand have remained under martial law for decades and no one seems to have noticed it.

To allow soldiers to protect the porous borderline, martial law has been enforced since the Cold War. In 1991, the Anand Panyarachun government placed 21 provinces under martial law and at least three general elections have taken place smoothly despite the security measures.

The CNS has enlarged the martial law areas with 14 additional provinces.

source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/09/04...cs_30047630.php

However a perhaps more accurate account is from the Bangkok Post 3rd May 1991

Prime Minister Anand Panyarachun countersigned a royal command last night lifting martial law in most of the country, effective from today. But martial law will remain in force in border districts (in 21 provinces around the country) and the ban on political gatherings issued by the NPCK has yet to be revoked. Under NPCK Order No.7, political gatherings of five person or more are banned.

Martial law will remain in force in the following provinces and districts:

Kanchanaburi: Muang, Thong Pha Phum, Sai Yoke, Sri Sawat & Sang Khla;

Chanthaburi: Pong Nam Ron & Ma Kham;

Chiang Rai: Chiang Khong, Chiang Saen, Thoeng, Mae Chan, Mae Sai & Wieng Kaen;

Chiang Mai: Chiang Dao, Fang, Mae Ai, Wieng Haeng & Chiang Dao;

Trat: All districts;

Tak: Tha Song Yang, Pob Phra, Mae Ramat, Mae Sot & Um Phang;

Narathiwat: Cha Nae, Ra Ngae, Waeng, Sri Sa Khon & Su Khi Rind;

Nan: Chiang Klang, Thung Chang, Na Noi, Pua, Mae Cha Rim, Wiang Sa, Bo Klua & Santisuk;

Buriram: Ban Kruat & La Han Sai;

Prachinburi: Klong Hat, Ta Phraya, Wang Nam Yen, Wat Tananakhon & Aranya Prathet;

Phayao: Chiang Kham;

Phitsanulok: Chart Trakarn & Nakhon Thai;

Mae Hong Son: All districts;

Yala: Tharn To, Betong, Banang Sata & Yaha;

Loei: Chiang Khan, Dan Sai, Tha Lee, Na Haew & Phu Rua;

Sisaket: Khu Khan, Khun Han & Kantharalak;

Song Khla: Nathawee, Sa Dao & Sa Ba Yoi;

Satun: Muang;

Surin: Kab Choeng, Bua Chet, Prasat & Sang Ka;

Uttaradit: Nam Pad & Fak Tha;

Ubon Ratchathani: Kemma Rath, Khong Chiem, Cha Nu Man, Na Chaluey, Nam Yuen, Undarik and Pibunmang Sahan.

Interesting.

I would still though like to have more information on this. One of the districts supposedly under martial law i am very familiar with, and i definitely have seen political gatherings of 5 people and more there before the coup.

Some of the other districts i am familiar with are highly sensitive border areas, and not the entire province.

To answer your questions:

1. NPKC Order No7 (Which banned Political activity and groupings of more than 5 people) was revoked on 9th May 1991

2. In total 86 Border Districts were kept under Martial law these were spread throughout 21 Provinces. Only 2 of these Provinces were under total Martial law (Trat & Mae Hong Son).

Last I heard was that there wasn't going to be an announcement. An odd comment was made about seeing if it leaked, and that the list would be promulgated in the normal manner, which I think means later this week.

Ok thanks.

I can’t seem to figure out why who the next boss will be is such a state secret. I can only conclude that the power battle we are not seeing is just below using live amo.

Ok thanks.

I can’t seem to figure out why who the next boss will be is such a state secret. I can only conclude that the power battle we are not seeing is just below using live amo.

Who knows, but after the referendum outcome and with the elction result possibly iffy for the Junta the idea of giving the head of the army to someone who will hold it for 3 years rather than one has probably launched one candidate over another totally unexpectedly and not without consequence.

You are probably right about that but I feel uncomfortable about speculating on this. There are some variables we are not seeing that are influencing this. Personally I would not mind seeing Sonthi stay in until the end of the year and certainly until the elections are over. It certainly could add some stability. It is a bit like changing horses mid stream and the water is turbulent to say the least. I don’t know what would need to happen to make that happen.

If there is a power struggle going on then the motives can only be self serving and I for one am uncomfortable with that thought.

You are probably right about that but I feel uncomfortable about speculating on this. There are some variables we are not seeing that are influencing this. Personally I would not mind seeing Sonthi stay in until the end of the year and certainly until the elections are over. It certainly could add some stability. It is a bit like changing horses mid stream and the water is turbulent to say the least. I don’t know what would need to happen to make that happen.

If there is a power struggle going on then the motives can only be self serving and I for one am uncomfortable with that thought.

You are right about variables we are not seeing, or maybe we should say not being shown.

Anupong 'a suitable choice' for successor

Army commander-in-chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin agreed with Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas yesterday that his assistant General Anupong Paochinda would be a suitable choice as his successor, a Government House source said.

30048661-01.jpg

Sonthi met with Surayud and Boonrawd to discuss the matter for about one hour before the weekly Cabinet meeting.

However, government and military leaders yesterday remained tight-lipped on the naming of the new Army chief even though they conceded they had completed the military line-up.

"The Army reshuffle list, which includes the name of my successor, was forwarded to the Supreme Command a few hours ago," said Sonthi, who is set to retire at the end of the month.

He said that in naming his successor, he had sought and received the blessing from the prime minister.

"But the list can be revised along the way and it is necessary to wait for the royal command on the line-up," he said.

He said he had picked a qualified candidate to succeed him, but refused to reveal the name.

Surayud said Sonthi had told him about the list, which was on its way to him via the Supreme Command and the Defence Ministry.

"I have not had a chance to see the list, though I am ready to submit it for royal approval if no problems are detected," he said.

He said he was not in a position to reveal the name of Sonthi's successor before the issuing of the royal command.

Supreme commander Gen-eral Boonsarng Niumpradit confirmed that he had received the Army line-up from Sonthi.

"The complete list of assignments for the three wings of the armed forces will reach the Defence Ministry later in the afternoon," he said.

Navy chief Admiral Sati-rapan Keyanont said he anticipated no problem arising from the nomination of a new Army chief.

Source: The Nation - 12 September 2007

Supreme Commander says new national army chief must not be involved in politics

The Supreme Commander, Gen. Boonsrang Niumpradit, says the annual military reshuffle list has been delivered to the Defence Minister, Gen. Boonrawd Somtas, for further consideration.

Gen. Boonsrang says he already examined the army reshuffle list and found no problems with it. However, he will have to hold talks, both officially and unofficially, with Gen. Boonrawd and the Prime Minister, Gen. Surayud Chulanont, on this matter.

The Supreme Commander also says the new Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief must be skilled in many areas and can carry on the previous tasks. Moreover, the person must be an army official and must not be involved in politics.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 12 September 2007

Supreme Commander says new national army chief must not be involved in politics

Quote of the Year 2007 !

LaoPo

You mean, "lapsus" ?

:o

Otherwise, when the mother will deliver ? And how is the child ?

What a ridiculous, byzantine comedy.

Khun A has the list, but he can't read it. He needs first to show it to B. B has no power over the list, but he needs to say "khrap". Then C will come to check the quality of the paper of the list. If it's okay, he must refer to A, and gives a comprehensive report. Then, A might consider to send the list to D. etc.

It's like a bunch of old ladies having tea and eating biscuit.

Thai Generals Pass the Torch

Daniel Ten Kate

12 September 2007

Thailand's next army chief must keep politicians in line

Barring any last minute surprises, General Anupong Paochinda looks set to succeed coup leader Sonthi Boonyaratglin as the leader of Thailand’s military junta when he faces mandatory retirement later this month in a move that will likely ensure stability for the armed forces over what could be a turbulent return to democracy.

The well-regarded Anupong can be expected to steer the military clear of overt political posturing, but still give it the muscle to keep politicians in line. While many would like the generals to quietly go back to the barracks, the men in green must tread carefully between maintaining a strong hand to stave off investigations and avoiding the same fate of General Suchinda Kraprayoon, who sparked massive street protests that turned bloody when he became prime minister following a disastrous 1991 coup.

snip

asiasentinel.com

Daniel Ten Kate

12 September 2007

Barring any last minute surprises, General Anupong Paochinda looks set to succeed coup leader Sonthi Boonyaratglin as the leader of Thailand’s military junta when he faces mandatory retirement later this month in a move that will likely ensure stability for the armed forces over what could be a turbulent return to democracy.

The well-regarded Anupong can be expected to steer the military clear of overt political posturing, but still give it the muscle to keep politicians in line. While many would like the generals to quietly go back to the barracks, the men in green must tread carefully between maintaining a strong hand to stave off investigations and avoiding the same fate of General Suchinda Kraprayoon, who sparked massive street protests that turned bloody when he became prime minister following a disastrous 1991 coup.

snip

asiasentinel.com

I don't really know what to say this time...I'm speechless, but saw it coming.

LaoPo :o ....The song: "Don't cry for me Argentina" springs to mind....

Daniel Ten Kate

12 September 2007

snip

asiasentinel.com

I think you may be looking at that in the wrong light. Clearly Thai politicians, more correctly recycled Thai politicians seem to lack the ability to stay within the bounds of their mandate and be public servants. They have been given a wonderful new box to play in that allows them to do all the tasks required of their office. Try to dismantle the box like Thaksin so they can get their greedy little hands out and they will discover the box has teeth.

I see this as the necessary leash, just look at the former TRT not necessary club 111 and you will see it is needed. I see that statement as a coup preventative measure and the shorter leash that is clearly needed. I actually see it as a positive thing as long as they just are on patrol around the box.

In fact I think many of us would set up similar rules for our children.

Edited by John K

Daniel Ten Kate

12 September 2007

snip

asiasentinel.com

I think you may be looking at that in the wrong light. Clearly Thai politicians, more correctly recycled Thai politicians seem to lack the ability to stay within the bounds of their mandate and be public servants. They have been given a wonderful new box to play in that allows them to do all the tasks required of their office. Try to dismantle the box like Thaksin so they can get their greedy little hands out and they will discover the box has teeth.

I see this as the necessary leash, just look at the former TRT not necessary club 111 and you will see it is needed. I see that statement as a coup preventative measure and the shorter leash that is clearly needed. I actually see it as a positive thing as long as they just are on patrol around the box.

In fact I think many of us would set up similar rules for our children.

I'm sorry John but I don't share your views, although we seem to share a few points.

It's not about -just- Politicians, it's about Power, Greed, Protection and share of Wealth, amongst the Politicians, who are 'allowed' to play at the Thai Kinder garden by the men in green who are, on their turn, steered by the Elite.

The same Elite however 'deliver' a lot of the same men in green AND Politicians. It's all family and friends inter-connected.

If you step over their lines, like a former PM did, you're out.

You can't compare the 'set up similar rules for our children' with Thai politics behind-the-curtains; it's not that simple I'm afraid.

All-in-all I foresee a downturn in Thai Democracy...no matter WHAT the present Interim Government is trying to 'sell' to the people.

LaoPo

Hopefully "keep politicians in line" means stop them from breaking the laws.

Anyone disagrees?

We know from experience that Thai politicians love to break laws when in power.

Actually I suspect that this was just a statement reflecting that particular journalist's support for the notion of 'guided' democracy.

Worse case scenario would be that the 'line' means the line not only between legal and illegal- but right and wrong- as defined by the military and its constituency.

Barring any last minute surprises, General Anupong Paochinda looks set to succeed coup leader Sonthi Boonyaratglin as the leader of Thailand’s military junta when he faces mandatory retirement later this month

Could the experts in thaiology could enlight us about the General Anupong.

Who is it really ? What can we expect ? Thanks

LaoPo, I can see it from your point of view too. However I am basing it on the junta’s track record over the last year. I can also see the new player is not Sonthi and you may be 110% correct. I guess I want to give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment anyway. The next 6 months will be all telling I am sure.

I also noted Sonthi said the hand off is not final until it happens. If it looks like it is going to his head he just may change the player.

Anupong appointed new army chief

His Majesty the King Wednesday signed a royal command to appoint Assistant Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda as the new army chief.

Gen Saprang Kalayanamitr, another assistant army commander-in-chief, was appointed a deputy permanent secretary for Defence Ministry in the annual military reshuffle, which will take effect on October 1.

The issuance of the royal command to approve the annual military reshuffle list ended the months-long speculation as to who would hold the most powerful position of the army commander-in-chief.

The Nation