Can Expired Permission-to-stay Be Extended?

Of all the anal-retentive folks on the planet, I should have been more careful. I misread my retirement extension stamp and now am on a two-day overstay. <sigh>

I converted a 30-day visa-waiver stamp on Sept 21, 2006 and of course the one-year period was backdated to start from my date of entry into Thailand which was Sept 3, 2006. Last month I took a quick look at the stamp and focused in on the Sept 21, 2006 and thought I had until Sept 20, 2007. Wrong. It was Sept 2, 2007. I even waited until Sept 1 to be in (what I thought was) the final 21 days.

Okay, that's my situation, so now here's my question:

Can I go to Pattaya Immigrations pay the overstay fine, and get another one-year retirement extension? Or, do I need to leave the country, re-enter, and start the process from the beginning again?

I even bolted up to Bangkok today (the 3rd) to get the Embassy certification letter for income. Today is a national (US) holiday, so I'm overnighting and plan to report as early as possible tomorrow morning to get the letter. When qualifying on the 65K income alone, I know the official Police Order documents don't even require a bank account, but it seems to be pretty uniform that the Immigrations Officers want to see a bank book with some activity, and I have no problem with that.

But that brings me to another question:

In such a case (qualifying solely on income) do I still need the official letter from the bank manager?

You can ask but I suspect you are going to have to exit country (quick flight out) at the least to provide a new starting point for extension.

I would have the bank letter and passbook copies - it is always accepted and believe it may be asked for by some (as "bank letter" always seemed to be on list of requirements). Although probably there for the 800k deposit method some would point at the printout and feel they required it. I do believe it makes them feel better and I suspect it is the front line officer who is on the line if anything is amiss so am happy to make it easier.

Thanks for the advice, lopburi3. You calmed my nerves a bit. I was afraid if I went to Pattaya Immigrations on overstay they might slap on handcuffs and send me to the Suan Phlu detention center. I'm fairly confident I could do the exit-the-country routine with just paying the fine, but I wasn't sure what to expect at an Immigrations Office not at the border/airport.

I just got home from Bangkok at 1300, and I'm going to take a quick shower, go to the bank (which luckily is on the same soi as Immigrations) and see how this plays out. I'm prepared to take an 0650 flight tomorrow morning if needed.

My goodness, it was almost a non-event that I overstayed!

It's 1530 and I'm already back home from Immigrations, and along the way I had to get the bank letter, photo, and photocopies of all the documents.

The only difference from what a "normal" extension renewal was that I spent about 5 minutes at the overstay desk and paid B1,000 for two days. No lectures, just smiles and efficiency all around. What a country! :o

I go back tomorrow after 1000 and pick up my passport.

I had the bank letter and copies of the pages showing the past year's bank transactions and without really looking at them, he just stapled them to the bunch of papers. I still don't know if the bank letter was *necessary* but it was a B200 insurance policy "just in case."

I did notice a laminated notice glued to desk #8 (the retirement desk) "reminding" foreigners to dress appropriately and to not drink alcohol before contacting Immigrations officer. Sad that the notice is necessary, but I got a chuckle out of it.