Drugged And Robbed ... Better Than Being Dead I Guess

Stekmer

I received this email from a friend who arrived in Thailand earlier last month for a six month stay .... very scary.

Sorry haven't been in touch, had many things on my mind. Hotmail is best now. I can collect it on my new PDA. Had the other stolen along with my laptop and 20000 baht.

Was sitting on steps of Panthip watching when lady sat near me and started chatting with me. Then her friend come over, both well dressed. After a while they asked me if I wanted to eat at the rest & bakery on r/hand side facing.

I say no because I will meet Ying soon. It was near 5.40pm. They said a coffee and they would buy. When coffee nearly finished, one lady ordered a large Singha beer & 2 glasses,1 for me.

She appeared to drink some of hers and then topped mine up from hers, about half glass. Didn't think too much about it because I've seen ladies in bars do same thing.

Soon after more food came. I was bit surprised because I don't remember them ordering it. Then I remember trying to walk and feeling like I was very drunk. I commented on it and she said "Singha very strong". I thought rubbish, not strong. That was last my memory till 6.30am when I woke up in a hotel room about 10klm north of Don Muang, minus laptop and PDA.

Somewhere along the way I withdrew 20000 baht from my account with my debit card. That was also missing. I spent the day at police station. They said I was lucky they didn't kill me!!

Edited by Stekmer

Basically if you're new to Thailand or Asia and look, in the slightest, a little naieve then you'll be spotted a mile off and pounced upon by unscrupuous individuals (almost cetainly Thais - but there is the fair share of farang con-men here as well) if you're unlucky.

I think most drugging cases don't get reported here and the problem is much bigger than is generally acknowledged.

In Thailand - fifty or so druggings a day wouldn't surprise me from my experience. And I'm talking about Pattaya, Bangkok, Samuii, Up-country etc. combined.

The only thing that is scary about this is that some people can be so foolish. Honestly, did he leave all his comon sense back in farangland?

Good to hear he is ok though.

sounds like they hit you with roehipnal,or halcion.Both make you very suggestive and blank your memory,there date rape drugs.........you were lucky :o:D

"Somewhere along the way I withdrew 20000 baht from my account with my debit card...They said I was lucky they didn't kill me!! "

You're lucky that your wife doesn't kill you, with that story. "I was unconscious and I withdrew 20,000 baht" - hmmm...

Edited by backflip

Scary is - to imagine someone sitting at the steps of Pantip, with a bag and a laptop in it.

Thousands of people stumbling over you every hour would make it hard and unpleasant for watching the world go by.

Then, some strangers come and turn you into a zombie who would know how to withdraw the money and remember the PIN and do whatever they ask - without knowing or remembering it.

IMO, it's a BS.

No this happens more frequently than a lot of people think. Remember, it's easy to get seduced by the warm friendly smile. The one I've run into is someone looking like they are studying and wanting to know if you can help them with their English. It seems so rude to say "no". I sometimes do, but it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly that they are up to something other than learning. I would never accept anything to eat or drink, nor go with them anywhere.

Remember, a lot of times no good deed goes unpunished!

No this happens more frequently than a lot of people think. Remember, it's easy to get seduced by the warm friendly smile.

In cheap thrillers and soapies.

What may happen in BKK is that a tuk-tuk driver gets a newbie into gold shops or bars and parasites for the time being.

What drug would street crooks have at their disposal to make you obey their orders while remembering your PIN number to withdraw money, not raising any suspicion while being walked and your strings pulled by them? Give me a break.

OMG, what's television done to western culture! People really believe rubbish like this!

No this happens more frequently than a lot of people think. Remember, it's easy to get seduced by the warm friendly smile.

What may happen in BKK is that a tuk-tuk driver gets a newbie into gold shops or bars and parasites for the time being.

What drug would street crooks have at their disposal to make you obey their orders while remembering your PIN number to withdraw money, not raising any suspicion while being walked and your strings pulled by them? Give me a break.

OMG, what's television done to western culture! People really believe rubbish like this!

Wait a minute TtM, it's not so simple as you think it is:

Rohypnol: "..It can produce "anterograde amnesia," which means individuals may not remember events they experienced while under the effects of the drug. Also, Rohypnol may be lethal when mixed with alcohol and/or other depressants."

GHB: "Coma and seizures can occur following abuse of GHB. Combining abuse of GHB with other drugs such as alcohol can result in nausea and breathing difficulties. GHB may also produce withdrawal effects, including insomnia, anxiety, tremors, and sweating."

Both drugs (and others) are VERY common in the party scene and are used to drug innocent people, rob them, sexually abuse them or worse...( I reported a horrible story in the Gay forum where people were drugged and injected with HIV infected blood :o !)

In the western world it happens on a daily basis and I don't see why these drugs wouldn't be used in Thailand as well.

There are evil people in the party scene and in the streets, so: it's NOT rubbish.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/Infofacts/RohypnolGHB.html

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Rohypnol: "..It can produce "anterograde amnesia," which means individuals may not remember events they experienced while under the effects of the drug. Also, Rohypnol may be lethal when mixed with alcohol and/or other depressants."

GHB: "Coma and seizures can occur following abuse of GHB. Combining abuse of GHB with other drugs such as alcohol can result in nausea and breathing difficulties. GHB may also produce withdrawal effects, including insomnia, anxiety, tremors, and sweating."

Both drugs (and others) are VERY common in the party scene and are used to drug innocent people, rob them, sexually abuse them or worse...( I reported a horrible story in the Gay forum where people were drugged and injected with HIV infected blood :o !)

In the western world it happens on a daily basis and I don't see why these drugs wouldn't be used in Thailand as well.

There are evil people in the party scene and in the streets, so: it's NOT rubbish.

LaoPo

And that would make you possesed by somebody else, operated like a robot and do what they tell you to do, even remember your PIN?

Junk!

"Somewhere along the way I withdrew 20000 baht from my account with my debit card...They said I was lucky they didn't kill me!! "

You're lucky that your wife doesn't kill you, with that story. "I was unconscious and I withdrew 20,000 baht" - hmmm...

And that is exactly why it is posted here. To convince the wife!

Basically if you're new to Thailand or Asia and look, in the slightest, a little naieve then you'll be spotted a mile off and pounced upon by unscrupuous individuals (almost cetainly Thais - but there is the fair share of farang con-men here as well) if you're unlucky.

I think most drugging cases don't get reported here and the problem is much bigger than is generally acknowledged.

In Thailand - fifty or so druggings a day wouldn't surprise me from my experience. And I'm talking about Pattaya, Bangkok, Samuii, Up-country etc. combined.

I don't think it's "a little naive" ... you'd have to be extremely naive to fall for this ... blowing it out of proportions in a forum like that just leads to everybody becoming paranoid.

Just remember to not leave your brain in the overhead compartment when arriving in Thailand; seems a few does that.

GHB: "Coma and seizures can occur following abuse of GHB. Combining abuse of GHB with other drugs such as alcohol can result in nausea and breathing difficulties. GHB may also produce withdrawal effects, including insomnia, anxiety, tremors, and sweating."[/i]

He definately had withdrawal effects...... 20000 of them :o

It was near 5.40pm... a large Singha beer ... [/i]

definitely much too early to start drinking. never drink when the sun is still up.

but sounds like a one of those typical bangkok party nights. blow 20000 baht away and next day have no memory at all what happend. aka the 'great' night out.

but strong physique, though. wake up 6 in the morning and no reports of hangover, or at least that on beer was bad and not good for the stomach.

Just remember to not leave your brain in the overhead compartment when arriving in Thailand; seems a few does that.

Sorry, Phil, brains are not allowed on board. There are now two collecting points at all airports - one for sharp objects such as nail scissors and one for dull objects such as some people's brains. After depositing your brain, you collect stickers, badges and temporary tattoos bearing the legend 'I am a walking ATM.'

Then, some strangers come and turn you into a zombie who would know how to withdraw the money and remember the PIN and do whatever they ask - without knowing or remembering it.

IMO, it's a BS.

I'm not sure about that. I have heard similar stories about these drugs.

LaoPo

And that would make you possesed by somebody else, operated like a robot and do what they tell you to do, even remember your PIN?

Junk!

YES ! That's what scientists say and many victims as well.

Victims who were raped or robbed (or worse, like the injected victims with AIDS blood) had absolutely no memory whatsoever what they DID and WHAT happened after the 'forced' use of those drugs...

There seems to be a time-frame that they are still able to know/remember certain things just AFTER they took the drugs but that memory vanishes after a longer period.

Maybe you should try it with your wife and wait what she says after you wake up...? :D

LaoPo

IMO, it's a BS.

I'm not sure about that. I have heard similar stories about these drugs.

I wonder if that 26yr old man sentenced to death for murder of 2 Russian women in Pataya February this year has reached for such an explanation. Drugged and did what somebody told him, not remember who, what and why.

At the end of the day, police watch same rubbish movies and soapies as him.

He might had, then they connected his testicles to the diodes.....

The replies from people on here who are saying drugs don't make you do this or that etc. Obviously haven't got any experience with recreational drugs! You see you consume a drug somethings you can't remember - but you did them it that's simple.

If you drink alchohol - you'll obviously of at some point had a morning of waking up with no recollection of what you did. The types of drugs being talked about here make that sensation happen quickly and also without the hangover.

I've had many a night consuming all different types of rec drugs and many a time not remembered nothing from a certain point onwards. But had a good time and regularly spent money or paid for stuff I can't remember.

GBH (UK name) and poppers aren't the nicest things in the world - I've tried both - and neither are something I enjoyed. GBH just in small amounts gives you a rush and in larger amounts makes you sleep and Poppers just give you a head rush (and personal I just felt like throwing up!). Rohypnol isn't something I've tried - I think it's also used as a downer by speed freaks.

So just because you've never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

EDIT: Quote "I wonder if that 26yr old man sentenced to death for murder of 2 Russian women in Pataya February this year has reached for such an explanation. Drugged and did what somebody told him, not remember who, what and why."

Don't talk utter <deleted> people are put into what is similar to a sleep induced state where people are susceptible to suggestion or easily coerced. These drugs induce sleep not just suggestability - you really have no clue do you!

Edited by technocracy

The only thing that is scary about this is that some people can be so foolish. Honestly, did he leave all his comon sense back in farangland?

Good to hear he is ok though.

sounds like they hit you with roehipnal,or halcion.Both make you very suggestive and blank your memory,there date rape drugs.........you were lucky :o:D

Did your butt ache? :D

Could it have been an Alcohol related black out?

Google on that and you will see that some people even after one glass of alcohol black out for hours or even weeks.

Pilots flying planes and not even remember doing that, just google for it and you will find some amazing stories.

Google on that and you will see that some people even after one glass of alcohol black out for hours or even weeks.

Pilots flying planes and not even remember doing that, just google for it and you will find some amazing stories.

Sure, watch X-files. And watch more of it. Roll in a ball and sit at Pantip steps (if the cleaners don't remove you) and the story evolves....

Sure, watch X-files. And watch more of it. Roll in a ball and sit at Pantip steps (if the cleaners don't remove you) and the story evolves....

did you mean, that in the 'great' night outs i had in the past, where i wake up next day and had a completely memory loss, my head empty same as my wallet, it was not only alcohol related but i came across panthip plaza and those spike my drink gangsters? ohh, i should have known better. call the police.

and for those who maybe concerned about, no buttache but headache. and lucky me, no bloody hiv needles in my arm.