Farang Lobby

afrosau

Better late then never.

:o

Heng

As a Thai citizen that could afford an American post-secondary education and who is a significant stakeholder in this country (based on references to ownership of revenue properties), do you think this idea has legs?

I hope you do because I would like to see a movement by farangs to have some say in the direction their lives will take.

A proper, influential entity that could quietly offer the position of the many farang who have voted with their feet and relocated to Thailand.

A grass-roots approach marked by cooperation between the various expat groups leading to retaining the services of "some organization/someone" who knows the system here and can work it.

Unfortunately, the experiences of the various Chambers of Commerce relatve to the FBA don't offer much hope. But then again, it has stalled out for the time being.

Thanks Bobbin, but mine are hardly unique nor significant credentials.

As for the idea... so far it's not really clear what that idea is exactly. As mentioned there are ALREADY more than a few avenues for foreigners and to a slightly lesser extent falangs that can be used to exert their influence.

By your reference to my property related endeavers I assume you're asking me about foreigners and their right to own property in the future and what I think about that? As to what I think would happen if they suddenly threw open the doors to the candy store (why beat around the bush and say "lobby" at all?... there are only so many things that the kids outside of the candy store want... they want to right to be in the store -immigration rights-, they want the right to buy candy -property-, and they want the right to work/own businesses themselves so that they can shop in said store) to foreigners, I think that the poor and downtrodden masses of locals -myself and about 10% of the slightly to much better off Thai population not included- would only find themselves poorer and even more downtrodden. Contrary to popular belief, those in the Thai middle class and the relatively small numbers that make up the elite would benefit by leaps and bounds with an open door policy.... after all, most of us bought our shares of the country (in land, businesses, etc.) at a dime or less a share. It's the masses who have spent their lives and generations looking into the candy store from the outside that would find the candy even further out of reach.

:D

Best explanation I have heard. Not sure all the elite think the same though :D

Edited by OlRedEyes

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that contributed with reasonable comments; thank you. I will consider your input and look into some of the organizations mentioned.

the implication being that sum of us 'contributors' are worthless scum and not worthy of serious consideration...

Not necessarily, tutsi... I'm sure he'll look into the highly regarded Association of Foreigners in Thailand that was recommended earlier in Post #32.

They already have a lengthy list of accomplishments, have connections at the highest levels of government, and are an organization that demands respect for the significant changes in legislation that they have already achieved for the betterment of foreigners' rights in the field of immigration, labor laws, and residency. I'm positive that in just a short while, they will be able to achieve more, such as easier citizenship and land ownership.

Edited by sriracha john

A lobby in Thailand, no. It won't do any good. A lobby in the US, Canada, Australia, UK, New Zealand and Europe to keep those governments focused on how trading partners like Thailand who depend on exports and access to those markets treat foreign nationals, yes. A major international law firm with offices in the aforementioned countries could do the job. Its not free so it is doubtful enough people would step up to the plate and contribute. Still, such representation would be far better for ordinary people that the various chambers of commerce who really don't give a rats a** about anyone other than multinationals.

For those of you that contributed with reasonable comments; thank you. I will consider your input and look into some of the organizations mentioned.

the implication being that sum of us 'contributors' are worthless scum and not worthy of serious consideration...

Not necessarily, tutsi... I'm sure he'll look into the highly regarded Association of Foreigners in Thailand that was recommended earlier in Post #32.

They already have a lengthy list of accomplishments, have connections at the highest levels of government, and are an organization that demands respect for the significant changes in legislation that they have already achieved for the betterment of foreigners' rights in the field of immigration, labor laws, and residency. I'm positive that in just a short while, they will be able to achieve more, such as easier citizenship and land ownership.

maybe the Bourbon bar and grill was the wrong place to organise their weekly meetings. They did take a step up and decide to meet at Subway on the corner of Nana, but me thinks that is not the right place from which to lobby government officials.

maybe the Bourbon bar and grill was the wrong place to organise their weekly meetings. They did take a step up and decide to meet at Subway on the corner of Nana, but me thinks that is not the right place from which to lobby government officials.

You mean the Association of Foreigners in Thailand actually has members "in" Thailand? :o

I was under the impression they were all "outside" Thailand...

But, it's good to hear they have their power lunches at the prestigious Subway. I expect that after just a few more ham and cheese foot-longs on French rolls, citizenship and Thai passports will be available for all.

Edited by sriracha john