What Next?

OK guys, i don't know much about the building game. After nearly 2 years of messing about, i have the design for the houses i want to build, and yesterday got the BOQ from the contractor.

Whats the next step?

I know i have to make a contract with the contractor, right? I guess this encompasses timescales, when i pay him for what, completion date etc.

Haven't laid a single brick yet, but it's stressful already!

OK guys, i don't know much about the building game. After nearly 2 years of messing about, i have the design for the houses i want to build, and yesterday got the BOQ from the contractor.

Whats the next step?

I know i have to make a contract with the contractor, right? I guess this encompasses timescales, when i pay him for what, completion date etc.

Get a second quote and possibly even a third for comparison

Whats the next step?

Get a second quote and possibly even a third for comparison

No matter what you do - DO NOT HIRE JOHN GEORGE WOODS - He's wanted now for two court cases involving fraud

what's BOQ?

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/BOQ

BOQ Bachelor Officers' Quarters

BOQ Bank of Queensland (Queensland, Australia)

BOQ Base Officers' Quarters

BOQ Basic Officers Qualification

BOQ Bill of Quantities

BOQ Bunch of Questions (web forums)

I personally favor the last one: Bunch of Questions :o

Whats the next step?

Shave your head! Its a lot tidier than having it fall out with stress, or you pulling and tearing it out over the coming years.

Finished off a good friend and long time expat, building a house did. Buy the time it was transfered (I deliberatly say transfered and not COMPLETED!! as they never are) he had put it on the market and gone back to blighty.

Whoever does it, will not finish it properly and will try to pull the wool over your eyes at every stage.

You still get good bang for your buck though and as you have spent a few years designing it, you may have picked up enough knowledge to carry out some supervision of your own.

Good luck, my house is lovely.... if unfinished, but if I every wanted to sell it, I would have to carry out a fair bit of work and hope to pull some wool over some eyes myself.

Ask your contractor if water runs downhill.

I can't count the showers I've see wher the water heads away from the drain....even after ripping it out and doing it 3 times.

Just doing minor home repairs can be a huge struggle. Getting overcharged for inferior work, again and again...

I will never build or do any business in Thailand.