Ford Ranger 2004 Auto.

thai4u

2.9L not 2.5L .

but other then this I dont care about thirsty I can get it for service to bring it to the optimal usage.

I think... :o

so ..why is the ford so cheap compare with isuzu and toyota? its because reliability or ust a bad name.. ??

I’ve had 2 rangers as work vehicles. Both of them were manuals. The first was a model with the smaller engine. It was still going strong at 100,000 Km’s when it was replaced by the current one with a bigger engine. Most of the driving is 60 kmph or slower towing heavy loads (up to 1,500 kilos).

Both have been very reliable. The current one averages 8 kms per litre with an average mileage of 150 kms per day.

The only problems I’ve had to date were -

1. Water in the fuel filter, easily fixed by undoing the plug and draining the filter.

2. The aircon draining condensation into the passenger foot area.

and

3. The door being ripped out of my hand on opening in strong wind causing damage to the door and front guard.

Both 2 and 3 dealer fixed.

so ..why is the ford so cheap compare with isuzu and toyota? its because reliability or ust a bad name.. ??

Toyota and Isuzu are well entrenched in the Thai mentality, they got there first with a cheap, rugged, reliable product. Ford arrived late with a product that was relatively expensive and fuel inefficient, probably not helped by being a 'Western' brand. The herd-mentality did the rest holding resale values artificially high on the popular brands.

We bought a new Ranger just before christmas, the interest-free credit was just too good to miss, coupled with wifey actually not wanting an Isuzu (tractor) or a Toyota (everyone else has one).

Whilst it's not the same as the one you're looking at, I'm 100% happy with the beast and the service from Ford Thailand.

beast? :o) u r funny. hehe

Just came back from the dealer from general treatment and fix some small problem.

all fixed.

when advice with the mechanic he advice that this model worth 250K or little bit more.

the guy wants 300K so I dont know whats the realistic market price I should pay.

though the car is in good condition as the mechanic says but say again and again..

gin nam man mak.. (thirsty engine..) 1liter/10 km.

2.9L auto transmition.

what do you think guys?

Ive got an older Ranger 4x4, and my guys tell me its thirsty, but i dont think its too bad at all. My other motor is a monster compared to the ranger.

Mine hasnt had any problems at all, apart from the air con needed regassing, but thats nothing.

I would heartily recommend it. 300,000thb doesnt sound a bad price, especially if its 4x4 model. Just set the price in your head that you would be willing to pay and go with that. Check out one2car.com for comparable prices from car tents in BKK.

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 turbo deisel and on a run I get around 10km/ltr which is OK.

It is the old 2.5 turbo model with 165,000 plus on the clock. One family owned from new, me and then I sold it to my wife for 10 baht and she still hasn't paid me in the last 4 years.

We had a front suspension leg problem 3 years ago and a new radiator this year. Ford paid for the suspension but the radiator was out of the warranty period. It has been regularly serviced and fairly well looked after all its life and I would quite happily buy another one but the top of the range 3 litre turbo auto 4x4 comes in at just under 1,000,000 baht and I cant justify that for a while.

The 2.9 auto that the OP is on about is the 2WD and not a 4x4 but if it has been regularly serviced and had a farang owner it is probably OK.

My wife wouldn't touch a second hand car but that may be due to the face value of the red plate and the probability that 5 or 6 Thai drivers have thrashed a s/h car to death.

I am in Papua New Guinea and my company Avis hire car is a 4 door 4WD manual non turbo Toyota Hilux. It is OK but I wouldn't buy one in Thailand.

What I drool about over here is the Ford 250 which is a monster truck with about a 5 litre turbo diesel and it is big, comfortable and goes like greased weasl s**t. Pity the roads over here are crap though.

• 1 year later...

Older Ford Rangers had the well deserved reputation for being thirsty for diesel. The newer common rail engines turned that reputation around. The Ranger is now second only to Isuzu for fuel economy. I'm not sure when they went to the common rail but I wouldn't buy a pre common rail Ford.