Thai Fruits Sweeten Tourist Welcome At Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

Thai fruits sweeten tourist welcome at Suvarnabhumi airport

SAMUT PRAKAN: -- International arrivals passengers at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport will be given a surprise welcome with famous tropical Thai fruits, following the government's Thai fruit promotion policy.

Serirat Prasuthanond, director of Airports of Thailand (AOT), stated that Suvarnabhumi's international arrival terminal would be richly flourished with tropical Thai fruits including northern sweet 'longan', the queen of fruits 'mangosteen' and juicy southern 'longkong' to promote Thai fruit among foreigners, under the concept of 'Experience Thai Taste in Thai Fruits' from September 5-11.

"40,000 international passengers stop at Suvarnabhumi airport each day. It is a good opportunity to promote Thai fruits worldwide," added the AOT director.

Foreigners will be advised on how to eat Thai fruit properly. Also they can carry the fruit home in a fine sealed package.

The 20-tonnes of free Thai fruit to be distributed at Suvarnabhumi airport is targeted as part of the government policy to introduce Thai fruit to world markets and also to help fruit growers after prices dropped dramatically recently.

--TNA 2007-09-05

'Experience Thai Taste in Thai Fruits'

the government think tank responsible for the endless stream of inane promotions must have worked, sweated and brainstormed long into the night to come up with that brilliant slogan.

at first i thought a welcome by the queen of fruits would mean tourists would be assailed by screeching ladyboys upon arrival.

if they had a brain between them they would be offering the fruit on arrival so that people can actually BUY MORE when they are here.

why the heck even bother to carry the fruit home in a 'fine sealed package'? as Mid said, Australia is gonna looooove this!

amazing thailand.

SAMUT PRAKAN: -- International arrivals passengers at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport will be given a surprise welcome with famous tropical Thai fruits, following the government's Thai fruit promotion policy.

Serirat Prasuthanond, director of Airports of Thailand (AOT), stated that Suvarnabhumi's international arrival terminal would be richly flourished with tropical

Foreigners will be advised on how to eat Thai fruit properly. Also they can carry the fruit home in a fine sealed package.

and , Aus is going to love this ........................................

And what has that to do with the "International arrival terminal" ???? "Mid"

They are not selling the Fruits in the "Departure Terminal" or are they????

Fine sealed package to take home = wherever you rest you head, that is you home, i.e hotels etc.. That was what I read it to mean.

Pry tell us more "Mid".......................... :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. Donna. They are selling them on arrival and not departure, or have I miss read George's the OP post. :o

And this is a ploy to attract more tourists?

From the OP:

The 20-tonnes of free Thai fruit to be distributed at Suvarnabhumi airport is targeted as part of the government policy to introduce Thai fruit to world markets and also to help fruit growers after prices dropped dramatically recently.

As far as that desired goal is concerned, I think this is a reasonable move. How many tourists are normally inspired to buy longan? But, if they taste a free sample and like it, maybe they will?

And, if there is an oversupply of some of the fruits right now (as I seem to recall reading there is?), it will help the farmers with their surplus.

How about just some smiling immigration officials instead of the grumpy hmrff's you get on arrival now.

Amazing Thailand, indeed!

:o

Hey, you may be on to something there. Maybe they all seem so grumpy because they're constipated. Eating lots of fresh fruit could alleviate that. Let's give that fruit to them, not the arriving passengers!

Serirat Prasuthanond, director of Airports of Thailand (AOT), stated that Suvarnabhumi's international arrival terminal would be richly flourished with tropical Thai fruits including northern sweet 'longan', the queen of fruits 'mangosteen' and juicy southern 'longkong' to promote Thai fruit among foreigners, under the concept of 'Experience Thai Taste in Thai Fruits' from September 5-11.

"40,000 international passengers stop at Suvarnabhumi airport each day. It is a good opportunity to promote Thai fruits worldwide," added the AOT director.

--TNA 2007-09-05

It seems that farmers have more than harvest for those fruits, so in some areas, they dumped the fruits from field because of not enough market with the value.

I think that why they are doing this.

Because of over-producing fruits, market values are soooo cheap.

Unfortunately I didn't see this from the airport when I left even though I learned to how to eat longan properly. ^.-

I think it is just gesture to calm down angry farmers for dealing surplus fruits.

I'm wondering what will happen when you bring sealed fruits from this airport.

In most country, Customs doesn't allow fruits to bring in unless it is already processed like can food or something like that.

Probably you have to dump out into trash can in front of customs officer.

Edited by moonhunt

• 1 year later...
''Experience Thai Taste in Thai Fruits''

I think people might think a 'quickie' with a bar girl.

Or is it just me?

This is a discussion of fruits, so I'd guess a lady boy would be the proper person and not a bar girl :D

any reason for bringing this "ZOMBIE" - topic, dated year 2007, back to life ??? :o