Kids To Australia

We're taking our kids to Australia for a holiday. My eldest has a British and a UK passport, my youngest none yet. Which passport would be best to get a visa - the thai or the British, or doesn't it matter. My wife's, who's Thai has been before. I'm British.

We're taking our kids to Australia for a holiday. My eldest has a British and a UK passport, my youngest none yet. Which passport would be best to get a visa - the thai or the British, or doesn't it matter. My wife's, who's Thai has been before. I'm British.

On a British Passport, you can apply for the ETA Visa http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/976/index.htm which costs $Au20

On a Thai Passport you have to apply for the Tourist Visa http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/index.htm which costs $Au75 and is probably a bit more hassle.

You can apply for both online.

Cheers,

Daewoo

I noticed a mistake in Daewoo's entry:

You can NOT apply for a Tourist Visa to visit Australia Online if you use the Thai passport. Citizens holding passports from 48 countries listed here can apply Online. Thailand is not one of them. You have to go through Australia Visa Services if you use the Thai passport.

Note to self: Get through the APEC security and lobby Prime Minister John Howard and Thailand's representative (in Sydney this weekend) to allow Thai passport holders to apply Online for Tourist Visa (Subclass 676).

Peter

Ok, I remember now that my wife had to go to the Embassy the last time we went. It all gets a bit confusing - get a British passport for my youngest and then leave using the Thai, enter/leave Oz with the British and enter Thailand again with the Thai passports. Seems a lot of hassle just to see a kangaroo!

Ok, I remember now that my wife had to go to the Embassy the last time we went. It all gets a bit confusing - get a British passport for my youngest and then leave using the Thai, enter/leave Oz with the British and enter Thailand again with the Thai passports. Seems a lot of hassle just to see a kangaroo!
'

not too hard. I do it all the time, though I never get to see any Kangaroo's.

Why not get the other little one a Brit PP as well? Saves the hassel in the long run, and good invesmtment. Also believe that British nationals are covered by Medicare in Australia for emergency treatment (a better version of the NHS) based on reciporcal arrangements between the two countries.

I noticed a mistake in Daewoo's entry:

It would seem that Peter is correct, I saw that you could apply online on the dimmia website and didn't look into it further.

Oh well, the Kangaroos are worth the hassle, especially if you get to use a big gun to shoot them :o

Cheers,

Daewoo

Oh well, the Kangaroos are worth the hassle, especially if you get to use a big gun to shoot them :o

Skippy would have been shocked to hear you say that.

Not sure if it is true, but it is said that Australia is the only country to shoot our national emblem.

Thai's may put Elephants to work, but shooting them is a big no no...

May be because 'Roo meat tastes much better than an Elephant drumstick...

Cheers,

Daewoo

We are the only country that eats our national emblem....so it is said

Nope... you will have to vie for that honour with the Welsh who eat their leek but at least they don't have to shoot it!

I meant the national fauna emblem....our floral emblem is the Golden Wattle.

I'll look out for it this trip

• 2 weeks later...

On a British Passport, you can apply for the ETA Visa http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/976/index.htm which costs $Au20

On a Thai Passport you have to apply for the Tourist Visa http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/index.htm which costs $Au75 and is probably a bit more hassle.

Cheers,

Daewoo

So,

Myself and 2 daughters with British passports - $60

Wife - $75

Daughter $550 for getting Uk passport. Thai passport $30

Total about A$700

Myself and 1 daughter $40

Wife and daughter 2 on Thai passport - $150

Thai Passport $30

Total - A$220

Ecuse me for thinking aloud. What a bloody rip off for a UK passport. I've a good mind to write to my MP, whoever that may be, or not get a british passport for my youngest daughter. maybe I'm just a stingy Scotsman?

1: Get your younger one two passports.

2: Exit Thailand with the Thai Passport.

3: Enter Australia with UK Passport.

Is it a waste of money?

What benefits will a British passport give her?

Which countrie(apart from UK) would a British passport be advantageous?

Edited by Neeranam

Cheers,

Daewoo

So,

Myself and 2 daughters with British passports - $60

Wife - $75

Daughter $550 for getting Uk passport. Thai passport $30

Total about A$700

Myself and 1 daughter $40

Wife and daughter 2 on Thai passport - $150

Thai Passport $30

Total - A$220

Ecuse me for thinking aloud. What a bloody rip off for a UK passport. I've a good mind to write to my MP, whoever that may be, or not get a british passport for my youngest daughter. maybe I'm just a stingy Scotsman?

I guess the point is to make sure that they all have their British nationality sorted now, so they aren't denied it in the future. The passport think is a rip off though. But so long as she is always elgible for it, I guess you should save the $700 on it now, as you'll burn that pretty quickly in Sydney, the London of the south pacific when it comes to prices...

Got to say, the brits have been ramping up the charges of late. As a comparison, my little one now has her Aus, NZ and Thai PP's. Got nowhere near $700 for all three of her PP's and her nationality registrations. Rip-off britain comes to Thailand!!

Is it a waste of money?

Why does it cost A$550 to get a childs passport (that's £233 isn't it?), I know you're not in UK but in UK the cost of a passport for a child is £45 (they have announced increases from October of £6 for an adult passport). In Thailand the passport cost is B5472

If you intend to travel to UK with your family then the costs of the visas (currently B4536 each)will far exceed that of a UK passport not to mention the hassel of getting them (everyone having to present themselves for fingerprints etc).

Most countries in Europe dont need a visa for UK passport holders, USA many many more.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Is it a waste of money?

Why does it cost A$550 to get a childs passport (that's £233 isn't it?), I know you're not in UK but in UK the cost of a passport for a child is £45 (they have announced increases from October of £6 for an adult passport). In Thailand the passport cost is B5472

If you intend to travel to UK with your family then the costs of the visas (currently B4536 each)will far exceed that of a UK passport not to mention the hassel of getting them (everyone having to present themselves for fingerprints etc).

Most countries in Europe dont need a visa for UK passport holders, USA many many more.

looking at it, he may be including the 10K fee to register the birth, plus the 5K passport fee (ie THB 15K = AUD$500 odd). But looking at the site, I don't beleive it is totally necessary to register the birth....

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717512679

But looking at the site, I don't beleive it is totally necessary to register the birth....

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717512679

I agree, as it does say:

Birth registration is not compulsory, but we recommend it.

Excellent work, Vinny. Given that we have saved him 10,000 baht, lets charge him 4,000 for our advisory services and split it between us. He still would have been 6,000 ahead anyway... :o

Excellent work, Vinny. Given that we have saved him 10,000 baht, lets charge him 4,000 for our advisory services and split it between us. He still would have been 6,000 ahead anyway... :o

It says on the UKPA Website

What documents do I need for a child's first passport application?

The child was born outside the UK

In this case we need to see:

*the child’s full birth or adoption certificate showing parents’ details and evidence of one parent’s nationality or immigration status at the time of the child’s birth. That is, either:

o the mother’s UK birth certificate,* Home Office certificate of registration or naturalisation, or her passport that was valid at the time of the child’s birth;

or

o the father’s UK birth certificate,* Home Office certificate of registration or naturalisation, or his passport that was valid at the time of the child’s birth and the parents’ marriage certificate.*

Note*: If the child has a birth certificate issued by a British consulate or high commission abroad you can send that instead of the parents’ birth and/or marriage certificates.

It doesn't say that the child must have a UK birth certificate and doesn't mention UK registration

So can we now share the spoils 3 ways?

• 1 month later...

steady on....remember we are dealing with a Scot here....

All sorted now regarding UK registration. I feel better now that both my kids have UK birth certs. The sooner we get independance from The UK, the better.

All sorted now regarding UK registration. I feel better now that both my kids have UK birth certs. The sooner we get independance from The UK, the better.

I'm all for booting out lizzie as well.

I'm all for booting out lizzie as well.

For sure, we need our own king.