Farang Bride Can Expect Sin Sod

Dazzler

If a farang lady living in Thailand is to marry a Thai man, should her family expect Sin Sod?

After all, the parents had to raise her, educate her and need supporting in later life....?

If the parents are living in Thailand - yes, of course.

I expect a 'sin sot' for my daughters. :o

Hmmm sinsod don't apply to farang only thai lady. :D

Wrong!

I've asked many thai ladies similar question - they laff at this idea. :D

My mrs reckons absolutley they should.

Rang Ms Brit up, she laffed at this one, she said not same same. I couldn't bother with the explanation, take to fking long. :o

Have actually seen 2 farang brides in Thai-falang marriages receive a sin sot. They even got the gals' parents involved to do the traditional carrying off of the bundled funds -in that bundled cash, cut flowers, and seed mix thing- to the back room (both ceremonies performed in the groom's house instead of the bride's house... because neither bride had a home locally). And like most weddings these days, the funds are simply later returned to the groom (in most Thai-Thai and Thai-Chinese weddings I've witnessed... returning just means the funds are left on some table in the back and the groom collects it before whisking his bride off to wherever, sometimes the groom's agent... like a trusted brother or best man type person will take care of it).

IMO you only 'lose' your sin sot if you're doing something like trying to marry two people with huge gaps in socio-economic status (with no ill intent by either party and it's specifically agreed that nothing will be returned) OR if the bride's family is intent on ripping off the groom (ill intent intended).

:o

Have actually seen 2 farang brides in Thai-falang marriages receive a sin sot. They even got the gals' parents involved to do the traditional carrying off of the bundled funds -in that bundled cash, cut flowers, and seed mix thing- to the back room (both ceremonies performed in the groom's house instead of the bride's house... because neither bride had a home locally). And like most weddings these days, the funds are simply later returned to the groom (in most Thai-Thai and Thai-Chinese weddings I've witnessed... returning just means the funds are left on some table in the back and the groom collects it before whisking his bride off to wherever, sometimes the groom's agent... like a trusted brother or best man type person will take care of it).

IMO you only 'lose' your sin sot if you're doing something like trying to marry two people with huge gaps in socio-economic status (with no ill intent by either party and it's specifically agreed that nothing will be returned) OR if the bride's family is intent on ripping off the groom (ill intent intended).

You know full danm well sinsot was created to scam farangs! Heng! All we Asians know!

You know full danm well sinsot was created to scam farangs! Heng! All we Asians know!

are indians asians ????

:D

:D great answer Heng, from the geniune thai point of view :o if only all the hopeful foreign grooms paid attention to it, there would be so much less unsuccessful marriages in this country !

Funny nobody asked the farang women married to Thai men. :o

In case anyone wants a first hand opinion instead of snide comments, I did not receive sin sot, but then I did not have a wedding. I could not handle 1200 people at a wedding. HOWEVER, my husband's parents said if my parents had come out and we had a traditional wedding I most certainly would have received sin sot. As it was, my father-in-law voluntarily gave me gold jewelry (several baht) after we got married. Felt it didn't look right if his daughter-in-law didn't have gold when getting married. Didn't seem to matter to him farang or not.

If a farang lady living in Thailand is to marry a Thai man, should her family expect Sin Sod?

After all, the parents had to raise her, educate her and need supporting in later life....?

If the parents are living in Thailand - yes, of course.

I expect a 'sin sot' for my daughters. :o

How much you asking?

i got a one baht gold necklace (his sister shipped it to us in a jar of hot peppers) when we anounced we were going to get married (they considered us as married with that declaratin) ; when we did the mrriage ceremony and jot tabien wedding a year later in thaliand the sinsot was sort of moved around in a way that his elder sister acted as my parents, we returned the money to his mom to pay for expenses, gave some to pichai, and we kept some...

i was 'used goods'!!! :o) so not expensive

Sin Sot is a joke. The parents of most thai girls marrying falangs should be kissing the falang's hairy bean bag to get the girl off their books.

Oops, almost forgot, many thai 20-30 yr-old girls support their layabout parents.

If a Thai ever paid sinsot for a falang lady, he would be the laughing-stock of his mooban.

(This from an Issan perspective, of course)

I didn't get sin sod or the one baht necklace...I'm gonna be kicking some husband butt when he comes home!! Jokes...

I think that farang women who marry Thai are less interested in the money situation (considering how few of us there are) than a lot of Thai women who marry farang men.

Heng,

I am due to marry my thai lady in Feb next year,she is educated and used to work in a company as a QC.I am being told the sin sot is part of her culture and that I have to pay 100,000 baht.I am concerned by your statement (ill intent intended)I do find it hard to swalow,having to give the money,but clearly you are knowledgeable on this,I did refuse to pay it in the beginning,which I think is the standard response and her parents said to her every one in there family had donme this in the past.I have read many threads on this and it just seems to become more cloudy!

We are being tiold that we will recieve any money presents however,so I am assuming it will sort of balance.

I would welcome your feedback.

Nick