Official Airport Taxi Scam

jphripjah

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, that's a very good idea chiang mai. Perhaps we should start a new thread called 'Taxi Trips With Absolutely No Drama'.

Who's first?

about 20 years ago i took a bahtbus from Beach Road to Jomtien, paid the agreed 30 Baht and don't recall any drama.

:o

Actually, that's a very good idea chiang mai. Perhaps we should start a new thread called 'Taxi Trips With Absolutely No Drama'.

Who's first?

And you wonder why some of us get disgusted by a handfull of high-number-posters on this board .

Since the subject bores you soooo much why do you bother replying anyaway? (increasing your post count?)

Please remeber that the rotten apples in the basket spoil the fun.

And you (with some of your fans) do think to have some sense of (British) humor, really?

I think Bendix has a certain style and use of English

It's called literacy. :D

Really. I thought it was waffle. :o

I think salty is closer to the truth, to be honest.

And to tartempion . . well, i hardly know where to start. If occasionally trying to offer an alternative view to the 85% of whiney "the thais keep screwing me over" bullshit we read on here is symptomatic of a rotten apple spoiling the fun for the rest of us, then I plead guilty as charged. I prefer to think of it as providing balance, but what do I know?

To me this is simplicity, the Excise department is entitled to stop people and make enquires, if they have reason to believe that an offence is being committed. This is the case in most, if not all countries. As I noted at the antediluvian commencement of this thread such an event occurred to me in London, over 20 years ago. Strangely it did not leave me bereft or feeling emotionally scarred for life. I recall it only because it was, thus far, the only time it has happened to me.

Additionally, individuals who wish for a career in the Customs, Excise or Immigration divisions require a level of malevolence towards humanity thereby ensuring the appropriate level of 'people skills' we have all come to know and love from exponents of these professions, thereby leading to the more direct nature of said conversations.

Now unlike Bendix, I have indeed suffered a 45 minute wait at immigration, but only the once so I'm not going to throw myself off any roofs over it. Though like him I've been fiendishly overcharged by a taxi... once... after they had to install meters.

Regards

Who's first?

about 20 years ago i took a bahtbus from Beach Road to Jomtien, paid the agreed 30 Baht and don't recall any drama.

Pah, that's nothing ... just last Friday night, I took a taxi from the airport to Yannawa ... the taxi driver turned on the meter, went on the Bangna expressway to save me the 25 baht over the Rama IX one, and I just rounded up the fare to include the 50 baht surcharge stated at taxi desk plus a bit for him ... whole lot cost me 300 baht for a 40 minute ride ... what a swizz ...

OK, back to sensible stuff ... C'mon guys - I agree there are scammers out there, but the key is keep your brain engaged, don't pick up taxis from departures at the airport - nowhere in the world is this going to be a sound idea - or the ones that sit outside 5 star hotels all day obviously waiting for a pay dirt fare, and you'll be OK - and if in doubt, tell Khun Taxi to stop and look like you're going to get out - I've done this once or twice and the meter will definitely be switched on very quickly!

Visitors shoudn't be exposed to aggressive or violent exploitation but there is a burden of due care on everybody to look out for their own interests to some extent ... if you want to be spoon fed and coddled then you should only visit N America, western Europe or Australia / NZ and expect to pay for the privelege ... except scams do happen there too of course, but don't tell Tuddy that :D

To me this is simplicity, the Excise department is entitled to stop people and make enquires, if they have reason to believe that an offence is being committed. This is the case in most, if not all countries. As I noted at the antediluvian commencement of this thread such an event occurred to me in London, over 20 years ago. Strangely it did not leave me bereft or feeling emotionally scarred for life. I recall it only because it was, thus far, the only time it has happened to me.

Additionally, individuals who wish for a career in the Customs, Excise or Immigration divisions require a level of malevolence towards humanity thereby ensuring the appropriate level of 'people skills' we have all come to know and love from exponents of these professions, thereby leading to the more direct nature of said conversations.

Now unlike Bendix, I have indeed suffered a 45 minute wait at immigration, but only the once so I'm not going to throw myself off any roofs over it. Though like him I've been fiendishly overcharged by a taxi... once... after they had to install meters.

Regards

Bendix doesn't realize it but a few years ago, all Taxi rides were negociated.

The recent addition of Meters is supposed to help protect us from over charging, so now they have the Taxi Tout Crew, just outside arrivals, misleading novice travelers.

If the TAT cared about the passengers or Thailands reputation as a friendly destination, somthing would be done.

On the contrary, Bendix does realise it. I was 'done' long after meters were installed. It happened because I was stupid, drunk and - frankly - hadn't looked in advance at what the right fare should be.

Big deal.

As an adult, I accepted my error without hysterics, mentally patted the guy on the back and said 'Wow, you got me good fella, I hope you enjoy the beer that buys you" and got on with my life.

Now, how hard is that?

On the contrary, Bendix does realise it. I was 'done' long after meters were installed. It happened because I was stupid, drunk and - frankly - hadn't looked in advance at what the right fare should be.

Big deal.

As an adult, I accepted my error without hysterics, mentally patted the guy on the back and said 'Wow, you got me good fella, I hope you enjoy the beer that buys you" and got on with my life.

Now, how hard is that?

We know you are clever, heard it too many times to be honest.

You are missing the point of the discussion.

I'm writing to defend the millions of novice tourists that get taken advantage of every year.

These poor people save up a lifetime to take a holiday to The Land of Smiles and for the authorities to turn a blind eye to the shenanigans at the new airport is appaling. Agreed?

The recent addition of Meters is supposed to help protect us from over charging, so now they have the Taxi Tout Crew, just outside arrivals, misleading novice travelers.

Recent? You're not talking about Bangkok, surely...

for some people the time between late 1980's up to today are a bit of a blur :o

Perhaps this explains why 1970 and 1980's hairstyles and dress are seemingly quite popular around the traps.

Let's try to summarize the "secondary effects" of the official move from ground level, to arrival level...

-AOT "hostesses" (nice yellow unform) try to hook customers just after custom clearance (before they were located after the exit zone).

-taxis now park their car, get out, and go in line. So of course, some of them park their car, get out, and try to hook customers inside terminal, and outside (on the bridges). That could be a bit confusing for first timers (they follow the sign, the taxis stand is in sight, taxis are parked there, so everything look normal, and then one insane red eyes drivers come to ask "you look taxi ? cheap Pattaya good bargain sure we go okay").

-the drivers queue probably enhance "business" opportunities for the dispatchers

-the situation is even more shamefull than before for the airport management : now the "public taxis" stand is... a plastic chair. Period. On ground level, it was also a plastic chair... but they had a very old desk too. :o

Voila. It's mind boggling.

So basically : nothing has changed regarding the spirit of the system. :D

Overall, I see one improvement (public taxis can be found more easilly for first timers). And one drawback : there are less taxis available.

Edited by cclub75

for some people the time between late 1980's up to today are a bit of a blur :D

Perhaps this explains why 1970 and 1980's hairstyles and dress are seemingly quite popular around the traps.

Actually, metered taxis were introduced in the early 90's :D I arrived "permanently" in early 93 - as I recall metered taxis had only just been introduced and any taxi which was more than 10 years old would not be licensed. So Bangkok got a whole new fleet of two-tone taxis. Back then, though, most taxis still hadn't been licensed as meter taxis, so seeing one with a meter was almost like seeing a Ferrari :D

It was only a few years later when AOT officially allowed meter taxis to pick up passengers - and shortly thereafter, the 50 baht surcharge was introduced.

Edited by onethailand

Even Phnom Penh in Cambodia, as poor and under-developed as that place is seems to manage to run an airport efficiently and smoothly with no scams.

A truly classic post from the emperor. Is it possible - just possible - that there are no taxi scams at Phnom Penh airport because there are no meter taxis in the country?

Now . . walk around Phnom Penh and try to get transportation anywhere - haggle, haggle, haggle. Isnt that just the stuff that you fellas are attacking Thailand for?

I'm confused.

Even Phnom Penh in Cambodia, as poor and under-developed as that place is seems to manage to run an airport efficiently and smoothly with no scams.

A truly classic post from the emperor. Is it possible - just possible - that there are no taxi scams at Phnom Penh airport because there are no meter taxis in the country?

Now . . walk around Phnom Penh and try to get transportation anywhere - haggle, haggle, haggle. Isnt that just the stuff that you fellas are attacking Thailand for?

I'm confused.

We are attacking the AOT for permitting a mob of Taxi Touts to mislead the arrivals at their brand new 'world class' airport.

I got charged 1400 baht at the official desk to get to Pattaya. Did I get scammed?

I feel you overpaid. I would have hoped for 800 Baht and been prepared to pay 1000 to save the hassle. But I am tight with my cash. I also wouldn't have gone to Pattaya but that's another story. [askew glance]

Why is it that most of the participants in this subject seem to use the conversion rate of 1 baht = $1. We are exposed to one of the cheapest taxi rates you will find anywhere and the drivers do not make much money and sitting in BKK traffic is no fun for anybody. The deadly taxi touts I have always found polite and a simple no thankyou does the trick everytime. The present system is as good as you are ever likely to get so I suggest you learn to live with it.

What about Sydney, EVERY tourist is taken the long way into the city which nearly doubles the fare and the ripoff is a lot more than BKK.