What To Do With A Reasonable Sum Of Baht Sat Idly In My Bank

vanalli

Quite simple really. Spend your Thai bank account baht (earning no interest) on normal living expenses for the next 12 months until you leave. Don't touch your funds in your international accounts and they will accumulate and earn interest. This will have the effect of depleting your baht and increasing your overall wealth.

that is probably the most sensible suggestion...

(vanalli @ 2007-09-08 21:47:59) *

Hey all,

I've got a sum of money sat in a Bangkok Bank account earning no interest and generally doing very little.

we are in the same boat. my wife found a sum of money in the back pocket of one of my shorts earning no interest and generally doing very little besides being heavy (it's all coins).

i wonder what we should do :o

For both of us, it would be of little concern, but we are a tad older. At 24 he is concerned about his small nest egg. No problem with that - you have to start somewhere.

I just posted a question about import taxes due on used cell phones. Now that is much more trivial than his post.

Edited by siamamerican

The book that YOU are looking for is titled " how to not see a crash coming for dummies".

Sportsmans bet (or cash if your up to it) between next interest rate rise and one after that (%7) market will crash in Aus.

as it has throughout history.

Don't waste your time with placing bets with Dr. Nam. Take all your money, add to it all the money you can get on margin from your brokerage account, and cash out all your credit cards.

Now take this money and use it ALL to short the market. Now that would show us all and you will, without any doubt, be rich.

Seriously, the market might decline in the next few years, but this happens all the time. Very few have the foresight to accurately time the market. The bulk of investors would be better served by making longterm stock investments and not panicking. For example, Peter Lynch, one of the best fund managers, had an average return of 29% over a 13 year period. More than half his investors lost money though. They got in and out of the fund on their personal hunches.

What history of the Aus. crashes are you referring. You have to go back more than 20 years to find a semi-crash and the market almost fully recovered in a few short years. Its growth has been pretty consistent ever since.

The earnings between 2001 to 2006 of ASX200 companies has grown on average 19% compared to the S&P's strong 14% growth. Australian stocks aren't cheap, but I wouldn't predict a precipitous decline. That is my opinion and it isn't worth much.

crash, correction, guess it depends on your terminology. last one about 7 years ago not 20.

economy - housing boom, stock market boom, housing correction, stock market corection, stagnancy, housing boom, stock market boom .......

Agreed about fund management - they are definately only effective for the long haul 10 years plus unless your clued in or lucky.

Agreed also it is very hard to predict economy with a degree of acuracy especially with government now trying to influence federal reserve monetry policies. However, this 7 percent figure is something that was pointed out to me years ago by an economics professor and very real. Not to say its going to 100 percent be spot on again but an invester must but be pretty lax with his savings if he does not take countermeasures when history gives us warning signs like these, whats more it was spot on last correction.

Edited by stevenjm

The book that YOU are looking for is titled " how to not see a crash coming for dummies".

Sportsmans bet (or cash if your up to it) between next interest rate rise and one after that (%7) market will crash in Aus.

as it has throughout history.

Don't waste your time with placing bets with Dr. Nam. Take all your money, add to it all the money you can get on margin from your brokerage account, and cash out all your credit cards.

Now take this money and use it ALL to short the market. Now that would show us all and you will, without any doubt, be rich.

Seriously, the market might decline in the next few years, but this happens all the time. Very few have the foresight to accurately time the market. The bulk of investors would be better served by making longterm stock investments and not panicking. For example, Peter Lynch, one of the best fund managers, had an average return of 29% over a 13 year period. More than half his investors lost money though. They got in and out of the fund on their personal hunches.

What history of the Aus. crashes are you referring. You have to go back more than 20 years to find a semi-crash and the market almost fully recovered in a few short years. Its growth has been pretty consistent ever since.

The earnings between 2001 to 2006 of ASX200 companies has grown on average 19% compared to the S&P's strong 14% growth. Australian stocks aren't cheap, but I wouldn't predict a precipitous decline. That is my opinion and it isn't worth much.

crash, correction, guess it depends on your terminology. last one about 7 years ago not 20.

economy - housing boom, stock market boom, housing correction, stock market corection, stagnancy, housing boom, stock market boom .......

Agreed about fund management - they are definately only effective for the long haul 10 years plus unless your clued in or lucky.

Agreed also it is very hard to predict economy with a degree of acuracy especially with government now trying to influence federal reserve monetry policies. However, this 7 percent figure is something that was pointed out to me years ago by an economics professor and very real. Not to say its going to 100 percent be spot on again but an invester must but be pretty lax with his savings if he does not take countermeasures when history gives us warning signs like these, whats more it was spot on last correction.

This post makes sense to me. No guarantees when investing and history does have a habit of repeating itself. I don't know if I would put to much faith in the fact that a professor was spot on in his last prediction. As the borrowing costs increase, usually the economy is humming. Eventually there is always a correction, but very hard to determine when exactly. I try to buy stock in quality companies and ride the waves over the long term. Never experienced a crash and can only assume I will have the metal to stick to this philosophy.

Edited by siamamerican

Hey all,

I've got a sum of money sat in a Bangkok Bank account earning no interest and generally doing very little. I'd like to ask some advice about what to do with this. My main concern is that I will leave Thailand in about 12 months and have this lump of money. Being in Thailand, what's the best thing I could do with this money? It's essentially my Thai savings, as I use my Kasikorn account for my day to day spending. I have another sum left in the UK in a Natwest ISA, and I'd like to somehow combine these two for maximum benefit and ease of access for when I leave for Indonesia next year.

Would it be easy enough to transfer my money in Thailand over to Natwest without incurring hefty charges, or is there another way to bring the two sums together and keep them in order. I just worry that I will find myself leaving Thailand with a massive wad of cash that I don't know what to do with. While it isn't a great sum, I'm only 24 and it's several thousand GBP that I feel is not being used effectively.

Any advice appreciated.

what a nice position to be in :o