World Suicide Prevention Day

Jai Dee

World Suicide Prevention Day by WHO

The World Health Organization predicts that there will be more than 1 million suicide victims this year, with an average of one person successfully committing suicide every 40 minutes.

The World Health Organization reports that the successful suicide of one individual impacts an average of 5 other individuals, whether they be father, mother, siblings, friends, or lovers. Thailand experiences between 4,000-5,000 successful suicides per year, with no less than 20,000 people affected by the victims' passing.

Health officials say that relatives and acquaintances can prevent a person from committing suicide by listening to their problems, refraining from criticism, and not taking a judgemental stance on their issues. The northern region of Thailand is reported to possess the highest suicide rate, more than 5 times the number of other regions, with Lamphun province containing the greatest number of suicide victims, followed by Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phrae, and Mae Hong Son.

The Department of Mental Health is therefore focusing its efforts in the northern region by organizing health campaigns on the occasion of World Suicide Prevention Day today. Officials will be hosting group activities, conferences, and other events related to suicide prevention.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 September 2007

I'm wondering why the suicide rate should be so much higher in the North than the South or Bangkok for that matter.

Because they get killed faster than they can kill themselves.

I don't see the point human beings creating he11 on earth and trying prevent people from suicides.

and your point is ???

My point is it is human beings themselves who very often enjoy creating harsh environments for people to live in whether it is out of greed or selfishness or whatever.... now they are trying to ask people not to kill themselves.

This is not going to solve the problems if those who wished to kill themselves at the end couldn't solve the problems that have made them suicidal.

This is greatly oversimplifying the problem..."human beings create harsh environments...now "they" (who?) are asking people not to kill themselves". Suicide isn't necessarily the answer to dealing with harsh environments, just as suicide isn't entirely about harsh environments. Feelings of suicide can arise out of many different and varying reasons, and occurs because an individual does not feel able to cope or to live around a problem. Very often all they need is someone to talk to. Contrary to what "health officials" are advising - that talking to relatives or friends may help solve problems of suicidal people - these individuals want to talk to someone who will not judge them, or their issues. Sometimes the issues involve family members, such as incest for example. The website to which I drew attention is from an organisation that adheres to a non-judgemental approach.

Conflict zones and war zones are well noted for having low suicide rates. It seems that even people who want to end their own life don't particularly relish the idea of somebody doing the job for them.

Also, I think the situation in conflict zones detracts from the ennui and boredom that lead many depressed people into carrying through with suicide.

Undoubtedly a lot more complex than this, but just a thought.

Conflict zones and war zones are well noted for having low suicide rates. It seems that even people who want to end their own life don't particularly relish the idea of somebody doing the job for them.

Also, I think the situation in conflict zones detracts from the ennui and boredom that lead many depressed people into carrying through with suicide.

Undoubtedly a lot more complex than this, but just a thought.

if people want to top them selves there nothing anyone can do or say to stop them..