Good Gym In Pattaya/jomtien ?

SARAHJ101

Cal Wow worries me as I suspect with the lifetime offers the place is probably packed in the evenings - which is when I need to go. Can anyone comment? But I could get access in both Ptya and Bkk so that is a bonus.

I'm a lifetime member and what you suspect is true. The gym is becoming far too crowded at just about anytime of the day or night.

Please spread the word: WE DON'T NEED NEW MEMBERS!

Maybe you will soon need a new Gym then, no new Member no new Money.....

Cal Wow worries me as I suspect with the lifetime offers the place is probably packed in the evenings - which is when I need to go. Can anyone comment? But I could get access in both Ptya and Bkk so that is a bonus.

I'm a lifetime member and what you suspect is true. The gym is becoming far too crowded at just about anytime of the day or night.

Maybee he has a cashflow crisis with opening his newest gym? :-)

Kuma,

Castra is open and has been for while but is at top of soi khao talo so dont know if location is any good for you but i dont believe it gets too busy.........as far as i can remember prices were good.

Universe Gym is still open on sukhumvit rd, prices used to be good and i guess they still are ok and i wouldnt expect it is too busy in the evenings but to be honest most gyms busiest times are about 6 to 8 pm mon to fri so if they aint busy at that time then they are probably struggling for members.

Golden gym is open on 3rd road between the 2 tonys gyms on same road, there is also a small gym(dont know name) on 3rd road on opposite side to Golden and not far from Golden.Sorry dont know prices or much else about them.

There is also a gym near police station on corner at Jomtien if its still open, not very good though .

I have that covered because I'm also a member of Tony's. There's always a risk in joining gyms with life time memberships but it is not a serious risk at California Wow because the amount of money invested is not much more than a year's membership at other gyms. (one year at Tony's = 7000 baht, lifetime at California Wow = 10,000 or less [i've heard of 9,000])

If they continue to increase their membership at the present rate by offering sub 10k lifetime memberships they will eventually be too busy for anyone to get a decent workout. They're still ok in the cardio machine area, but the weight training area is becoming ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, and what about in the jomtien area? Imagine living in view talay 1 or 2 (has a small gym inside) or near jomtien beach, and wanting a decent gym with aircon and equipment within taking the baht bus to pattaya for Wow or others at such location?

Do you know if there are new gyms opened recently in the jomtien area?

Thank you very much proximity for this information, I would have never found out since I never ventured to this place, always turn the road to jomtien beach. I went today and I confirm it's still not opened, but the door was open so I had a look inside and took a few pictures to show the current state:

post-89427-1270107446_thumb.jpg

post-89427-1270107490_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much proximity for this information, I would have never found out since I never ventured to this place, always turn the road to jomtien beach. I went today and I confirm it's still not opened, but the door was open so I had a look inside and took a few pictures to show the current state:

Just ride over the hill to Tony's Soi 16 or 3rd Road Gyms and get stuck in. If you're pinning your training hopes on his new Jomtien Gym you could be waiting quite a while. If traveling a few kilometers to train is too much for you, you certainly aren't very motivated.

They are building Tony's in jomtiem, go past view talay 2 and go straight where the road turns and then follow the road around to the left, the new tony's location will be on your left. Not open as of last week.

from Hanuman Statue, pass Ace Café, follow old Jomtien 2nd Road, past front of Aiyaree Hotel, Tony's is next door, before road bends and Tax office.

Just ride over the hill to Tony's Soi 16 or 3rd Road Gyms and get stuck in. If you're pinning your training hopes on his new Jomtien Gym you could be waiting quite a while. If traveling a few kilometers to train is too much for you, you certainly aren't very motivated.

There may be a special opening Offer, so to wait a little may be not a bad thing. As they put in already the equipment is`nt a bad sign either.

Or let it put us that way. What ever first is finished, the road over the hel_l, I mean Hill or the Gym (and yes I know there are other ways to go

to 3. Rd. then over the Dirt Trak) :)

There may be a special opening Offer, so to wait a little may be not a bad thing. As they put in already the equipment is`nt a bad sign either.

Or let it put us that way. What ever first is finished, the road over the hel_l, I mean Hill or the Gym (and yes I know there are other ways to go

to 3. Rd. then over the Dirt Trak) :)

I hate to say this after generally being a supporter of Tony's Gyms (in the past), but he expanded the "Powerstation Gym" on Soi 16 last year and put up the prices but he's only done a half job of improving it for many reasons that I won't go into here. He's spreading himself too thin in the gym department and is taking on too many new gym projects. I wouldn't hold my breath on the new Jomtien gym being anything special, and certainly not anything I'd be waiting for. We're still waiting for his special new gym on 3rd Road that is going to be so fantastic we will all get excited. He's hardly started that one. The harsh reality is that he doesn't know as much about gyms as he thinks he does.

Get a cheap lifetime membership at California Wow while the going is good. :D Just about everyone else in town has one.

Edited by tropo

• 1 month later...

I've been a member at Tony's gym since they opened and got the lifetime membership a few years back for 15,000Baht. Still great value for me as I do a few of the classes and it's all included.

I will be interested to see what this new place turns out like but if it all goes tits up now then i think I've defo had my moneys worth.

California WOW must be ram packed with life timers now though..

California WOW must be ram packed with life timers now though..

It is! The weight area is getting far too crowded with hundreds of members who will never contribute another baht to the business. It's a catch 22 because they are getting too busy to be able to easily entice normal paying members to join the gym.

Used to always go Tony's but he has revised his prices.

I believe it is now £70 for a month at life fitness off walking.

Although a 6 month or yearly membership still represents good value.

Im here for 2 months and go to this gym and 3600 baht a month is waaay too much, considering you can pay 120bht a time ... i asked for a reasonble price but got told i can use all Tony gyms for this price (not that this is of much use to me as i only go to 1 gym a maximum of 1 time per day.)

Dont like the 40bht for a towel lark either, it cant cost more then 2bht to clean them and theyre the scabbiest towels possible so no one will steal them as they claim.

Edited by hansum

Im here for 2 months and go to this gym and 3600 baht a month is waaay too much, considering you can pay 120bht a time ... i asked for a reasonble price but got told i can use all Tony gyms for this price (not that this is of much use to me as i only go to 1 gym a maximum of 1 time per day.)

Dont like the 40bht for a towel lark either, it cant cost more then 2bht to clean them and theyre the scabbiest towels possible so no one will steal them as they claim.

It makes perfect business sense for him to charge 3600 baht a month in a tourist town where most gym users are only here for a short time. He's certainly not making much money out of his yearly memberships. Perhaps he's decided to charge 3,600 baht a month to entice people to pay for daily visits in that it sounds cheap by comparison.

Tourists like you who are only here for 2 months are the best target for making some money, afterall most business are open to make money. If these prices are excessive, you could always use one of the cheap Thai style hole-in-the-wall gyms of which there are many.

Most gyms don't provide towels and why should they. You don't HAVE to pay 40 baht for a towel...just bring your own.

"And Fairtex seemed to be a well equipped place, I am not in the market for Muay Thai but they have a nice pool and the gym seems alright, any comments on crwods etc there would be appreciated"

K

Fairtex is very expensive compared to other Gyms, it also had a fire recently in the sauna, crowds of kids in the pool from the attached hotel, Gym no, but if you are into Muay Thai definetely.

It makes perfect business sense for him to charge 3600 baht a month in a tourist town where most gym users are only here for a short time. He's certainly not making much money out of his yearly memberships. Perhaps he's decided to charge 3,600 baht a month to entice people to pay for daily visits in that it sounds cheap by comparison.

Tourists like you who are only here for 2 months are the best target for making some money, afterall most business are open to make money. If these prices are excessive, you could always use one of the cheap Thai style hole-in-the-wall gyms of which there are many.

Most gyms don't provide towels and why should they. You don't HAVE to pay 40 baht for a towel...just bring your own.

I agree of course he can charge what he likes ... but if its more reasonably priced in comparison to the current monthly price lets say 2000bht then he would make more then charging 120bht a time or 3600 month more people would happily pay it ... i probably go 15 time a month (15 x 120 = 1800bht)

California wow is 1500 for 1 month at a time, i got this price last time but its too busy (see what better pricing does)

ps im not a tourist to LOs as such i have a kid here and the applicable visa

pps i never knew i didnt have to pay 40bht for a towel and could bring my own thankyou for informing me .. but 40bht is expensive

I agree of course he can charge what he likes ... but if its more reasonably priced in comparison to the current monthly price lets say 2000bht then he would make more then charging 120bht a time or 3600 month more people would happily pay it ... i probably go 15 time a month (15 x 120 = 1800bht)

California wow is 1500 for 1 month at a time, i got this price last time but its too busy (see what better pricing does)

pps i never knew i didnt have to pay 40bht for a towel and could bring my own thankyou for informing me .. but 40bht is expensive

If you're not a tourist, then why are you paying monthly? You can get a whole year at all 3 facilities right now for 6000 baht.

California Wow is very busy not because of 1500 monthlies, but because of 10,000 (or less) lifetimes.

You live here so you can buy 100 baht towels and wash them yourself. The 40 baht towel hire is an option for tourists and not excessive.

Edited by tropo

If you're not a tourist, then why are you paying monthly? You can get a whole year at all 3 facilities right now for 6000 baht.

California Wow is very busy not because of 1500 monthlies, but because of 10,000 (or less) lifetimes.

You live here so you can buy 100 baht towels and wash them yourself. The 40 baht towel hire is an option for tourists and not excessive.

Im an offshore worker so will spend every other month in BKK, but am here in Pattaya for 2 months (may and july) as ive rented a place here for 3 months as a certain young lady didnt wish to take a newborn baby to BKK whilst the troubles were going on the other week.

Most tourists are here to get drunk and run after girls and though they might have good intentions of keeping fit whislt away, i doubt too many would drop 3600 to join a gym for a month but theyd be more willing to pay 1500-2000.

But he seems to be opening gyms left right and centre so maybe he's making money charging 3600bht to tourists and knows a lot more then myself.

PS They ought to play some better music in there that 80s fairground music just isnt appropriate.

• 3 months later...

just a quick update, the tony gym in jomtien has opened for about a month.

I went there 4 times. They say it's open 24h which is a plus, but for how long?

There are 4 floors, each have machines except the top floor which has two massage baths, one hot one cold as well as a sauna with 2-3 seats.

Each floor (maybe not the first/ground one, I don't remember as I don't exercice on this one) have one toilet/shower for boy and one for girls. The lockers are in the room, on each floor. So there is no changing room.

They don't give towel or padlocks, but can be rented for 40 baht each.

If you want to test it, the best is to pay 180 for one session, after 4 sessions you get one free. This is only for this gym.

After you can take other schemes like 10 sessions for X bahts, for all tony gyms.

The 180 per session was more interesting for me as I will have unfortunately to leave thailand for several months. I'll probably take a one year subscription when I return.

Edited by kola

If you want to test it, the best is to pay 180 for one session, after 4 sessions you get one free. This is only for this gym.

After you can take other schemes like 10 sessions for X bahts, for all tony gyms.

The 180 per session was more interesting for me as I will have unfortunately to leave thailand for several months. I'll probably take a one year subscription when I return.

Thanks for that info. I especially like the 24-hour part. Do they have (free) water fountains, do you remember?

No, there is no free water as far as I saw, no water fountain at least.

In fact there is at least one small changing room I spotted on the third floor, but nothing fancy, no need for it really.

About the 24 hours, that's what I gathered by talking with a male employee and insisting on the fact that 24hours didn't mean closing at midnight. But I didn't have a chance to check it out by myself in the night and now I'm back in my country for a few months.

So if indeed it is not open 24 hours it would be just one more of those not so uncommon misunderstandings..