Name Law In Thailand?

Back Sida

My youngest daughter was born in Bangkok, and has the obviously Thai name of Jennifer.

The only problem was getting someone to write this phonetically in Thai script for the birth certificate. (all it took was someone at the hospital who was bilingual to write it down).

- Just make sure that when you get the translation into English of the Birth certificate, in order to apply for a passport at the embassy, that the translation uses the spelling you want to appear in her passport.

Hi bkk_mike,

as I wrot before the writing of the name in Thai was not the problem.

I can read a little (and write a littel less) and also my wife is good in english.

The problem was the Amphur a./o. the officer there, or new regulations.

Thank's anyway for your replay and the advice with the tranlation for the

passport application.

Back

12 years ago I was presented with a baby daughter in Nakhon Phanom that I named Hana. Mainly because I wanted her name to having a meaning as well as sounding like a falang name (Hanna/Hannah). Hana is the Japanese transcription meaning flower. The meaning was quite apt to, as my wife's name is Dokmai which is Thai for flower. I did want a middle name of 'Louise' but with the Thai pronunciation sounding too identical to the surname pronunciation of Lewis, made it very difficult to get a reliable Thai spelling, so I opted out for the middle name.

Registering her name was no problem. In fact my brother in law went into town to the office to do it. No problem whatsoever.

Gazza

We knew all along the name we wanted for our daughter, it is neither Thai nor Western but closer to a Thai nickname than anything else.

Alas, the Doctor wrote it down wrong on the birth cert. and turned it into a western name :o

But the name the doctor chose is quite nice too so we are sticking with it.

Besides, it wouldn't matter what she was called, she is still the most beautiful little creature I have ever seen.

agree?

Photo of my daughter in the members photo album.

A bit proud Leith ? :D

So you should be. :D

Unless the laws have changed since april this year you can call your child whatever you want. My daughter has first and surname all falang. A Thai and British birth certificate with both names on it and a Thai and British passport with both names on it. . There was never any mention of what a name meant or any questions about why. They just registered the names selected and away we went. My friend also has a son with Falang name first and last, no probs there! My daughter was born in Petchabun and my friends son in Bangkok.

TIT or give me dosh to register!!!!!

My friend also has a son with Falang name first and last, no probs there! My daughter was born in Petchabun and my friends son in Bangkok.

TIT or give me dosh to register!!!!!

Hi lemel

I don't know why this was happened and also the embassy employees was

surprised of this (but it is all true, nothing is exaggerated).

I only can guess, that in the first place the officer say some

(Thainame, law) and then don't want lose face.

So she made it up that I need this document.

Dosh nobody want have or mention this.

To Chanchao,

It makes no difference if you are married or not. Give the child whatever name you want. Just make sure that your own personal details are translated correctly on the birth certificate. ie: if your middle name has a spelling in thai that can easily be mispelt as another name, this will cause problems for the child later. Especially, when they go to school. :o

To Chanchao,

It makes no difference if you are married or not. Give the child whatever name you want. Just make sure that your own personal details are translated correctly on the birth certificate. ie: if your middle name has a spelling in thai that can easily be mispelt as another name, this will cause problems for the child later. Especially, when they go to school. :D

A friend of mine tells me when his child was born the officals at the hospital insisted that the kid had to have the mother's surname since he and the mother were not married. He has since met a number of guys in similar circumstances who had no problems giving their children their surnames. :o

-redwood

Hm, okay it seems I will have to look into this and make sure beforehand that I get the name I want. Then again, it may not be a bad thing for the kid to have a full Thai name in Thailand? Espectially if the kid can have the Western name in his/her European passport? Would that be possible, like a full Thai name in Thailand (passport + ID) and a different Western name in the foreign passport?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hm, okay it seems I will have to look into this and make sure beforehand that I get the name I want. Then again, it may not be a bad thing for the kid to have a full Thai name in Thailand? Espectially if the kid can have the Western name in his/her European passport? Would that be possible, like a full Thai name in Thailand (passport + ID) and a different Western name in the foreign passport?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Both sides want the birth certificate. The name duly registered prevails on both passports.