Airport Security

jonniebkk

A couple days ago, I traveled on EVA air from Bangkok to San Francisco, with a transit stop in Taipei. I checked one bag thru to San Francisco. Now, as I was traveling to the USA, I got myself one of the new TSA approved luggage locks. These are the ones with a 2nd master lock on it which is supposed to allow US customs/security agents at US airports (who have said master key sets) to open and search your bags if they have some reason to without having to use destructive methods on a non-TSA lock. Basically, these locks are supposed to allow one to lock their luggage (outside the US) but also allow for US authorities access to the bags.

Anyway, when I retrieved my bag from the carousel in SFO, the lock was missing. I opened the bag and the contents seemed a little disheveled (like someone had gone through the contents but I cannot be sure as this could also have been caused from being tossed about during the trip. Lucky for me, I only packed clothes and toiletries in this bag (all electronic valuables were with me in a carry on bag). and nothing was missing.

Now, I don't know where the bag was tampered with. It could have been at any of the airports. However, the least likely candidate IMO is SFO. This is because my time from deplaning and through immigration/customs was literally only 10-15 minutes. I had my bag off the carousal by 20-25 minutes after I got off the plane. Not much time to tamper with a bag I don't think. If if was a legitimate search for something (which I don't think they do for incoming bags...only outgoing for bombs and such), TSA folks are supposed to leave a note in the bag that it was opened and search by Federal officials. Also, they would have replaced the lock right or at least put it in the bag somewhere.

My layover in Taipei was about 2.5 hours so there was time for tampering there. However, my longest time in an airport was in Bangkok. I checked in really early and was in the airport about 3.5 hours after I checked the bag.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've never lost a lock, 'coz I never lock my bag.

I HAVE had my checked baggage searched at BKK, there was a sticker on the outside with a reference number and the name/signature of the person who searched it. I don't know if it's related, but that was also on an early check-in.

Meant my bag was absolutely the last out at my destination, I was beginning to ponder several days in Mumbai with only two shirts :o

• 2 months later...

I also fly EVA from Bkk to Los Angeles, frequently. I am sorry to say that on both the last two times I have flown, my luggage has been tampered with and some things taken, nothing of great value but I was upset nonetheless. One item was a very nice medallion of Ganesh that a musical friend had given me.

Because of the timing, I am convinced these thefts occur at Suvarnabhumi. I always check in very early, sometimes two hours before my flight. The connection in Taipei was very rushed this last trip allowing only time to scamper to the connecting flight and I picked up my bags tout-de-suite in Los Angeles. I just know it happens in Bangkok.

I don't lock my bags because of the reasons given above about US airports wanting access. I do use a twisty-tie in the hole where a lock goes.

But I am convinced there is a serious problem with thieves in the baggage handling cadre at Bkk.

I also fly EVA from Bkk to Los Angeles, frequently. I am sorry to say that on both the last two times I have flown, my luggage has been tampered with and some things taken, nothing of great value but I was upset nonetheless. One item was a very nice medallion of Ganesh that a musical friend had given me.

Because of the timing, I am convinced these thefts occur at Suvarnabhumi. I always check in very early, sometimes two hours before my flight. The connection in Taipei was very rushed this last trip allowing only time to scamper to the connecting flight and I picked up my bags tout-de-suite in Los Angeles. I just know it happens in Bangkok.

I don't lock my bags because of the reasons given above about US airports wanting access. I do use a twisty-tie in the hole where a lock goes.

But I am convinced there is a serious problem with thieves in the baggage handling cadre at Bkk.

When flying TO the USA you can lock your suitcase with ANY type of lock. It is only when flying FROM the USA that you need to keep it unlocked or use one of those special locks.

When flying TO the USA you can lock your suitcase with ANY type of lock. It is only when flying FROM the USA that you need to keep it unlocked or use one of those special locks.

Another useful way of detering the casual opening of your checked suitcase is to band it with a strap. It just makes it a little more time consumming to open and close.

A couple days ago, I traveled on EVA air from Bangkok to San Francisco, with a transit stop in Taipei. I checked one bag thru to San Francisco. Now, as I was traveling to the USA, I got myself one of the new TSA approved luggage locks. These are the ones with a 2nd master lock on it which is supposed to allow US customs/security agents at US airports (who have said master key sets) to open and search your bags if they have some reason to without having to use destructive methods on a non-TSA lock. Basically, these locks are supposed to allow one to lock their luggage (outside the US) but also allow for US authorities access to the bags.

Anyway, when I retrieved my bag from the carousel in SFO, the lock was missing. I opened the bag and the contents seemed a little disheveled (like someone had gone through the contents but I cannot be sure as this could also have been caused from being tossed about during the trip. Lucky for me, I only packed clothes and toiletries in this bag (all electronic valuables were with me in a carry on bag). and nothing was missing.

Now, I don't know where the bag was tampered with. It could have been at any of the airports. However, the least likely candidate IMO is SFO. This is because my time from deplaning and through immigration/customs was literally only 10-15 minutes. I had my bag off the carousal by 20-25 minutes after I got off the plane. Not much time to tamper with a bag I don't think. If if was a legitimate search for something (which I don't think they do for incoming bags...only outgoing for bombs and such), TSA folks are supposed to leave a note in the bag that it was opened and search by Federal officials. Also, they would have replaced the lock right or at least put it in the bag somewhere.

My layover in Taipei was about 2.5 hours so there was time for tampering there. However, my longest time in an airport was in Bangkok. I checked in really early and was in the airport about 3.5 hours after I checked the bag.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

:o I think I mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. I fly 2 or 3 times a year from Crete, through Athens Greece, to Bangkok. I can usually check my bags in at Crete straight on to Bangkok.

I have been told when checking in luggage in Crete through to Bangkok that I should not lock the bags as there may be a security check done in Athens on checked baggage. If I had a lock on the bags, the security would have to break the lock open to check. Apparently these security checks are random checks, done by the airport security people.

That is why Olympic Airlines advises you should not lock your bags.

:D

the overall impression, from reading many posts, infers that SUV in Bkk has some thieves in their employ.

I really wish the authorities there could get tough on the issue. It's such a drag not knowing whether you'll get stuff ripped off. Having a suitcase in the bowels of SUV, subject to the nimble fingers of one or more thieves is an unnerving feeling.

It's doubly annoying if SUV officials know about it, but either:

1. can't figure out how to bust the thieves

2. have found some thieving, but let it go with a stern warning (rather than summary dismissal or, better yet, criminal charges). Anything beyond a stern warning in Thailand is not realisitic - this being a land that can never dismiss a gov't official (let alone file criminal charges) - but rather assigns culprits to full salary at an 'inactive post.'

3. Know about the thievery and are taking a cut of the action.

This looks very bad on SUV's report card - and word is getting around. Many travelers will avoid SUV when possible. I know I will.

I never lock bags - it always seems like an invitation to cut them open. And in 40+ years of travelling I've never had a problem until the first time I checked a bag through at Suvanabhumi. Someone went through my bag and stole a Swiss army knife.

I have since read and heard numerous similar stories.

Sorry, Bangkok Airways, but I will never fly through Suvanabhumi again unless there is absolutely no other choice.

At Phuket Airport, you can get your suitcase shrink-wrapped in about 10,000 metres of clear plastic - that should foil any light-fingers amongst the luggage handlers :o

Simon

They had them at BKK too. We were charged 100 baht for 2 cases.

Last time we came through we saw the machines but no operators.

LAst week BKK-MNL

I used a small roller with a combo lock

The lock was broken when I got my bag in Manilla - Pretty sure it happened in BKK as the bags came out right away in MNL

Nothing missing because nothing to steal.

A great way to deal with THAI bag theifs and bribe seeking customs officals is place a pair of shoes - sole up so it is the first thing they see when they open the bag. Under this you can put some dirty underwhere.

this should convey the message

Btw....when I usally use my weathered shell suitcase with 2 key locks and a combo - i have never had a problem.

I never lock bags - it always seems like an invitation to cut them open.

Not any more. They can scan each bag for stealable goods on the x-ray screen, lock or no lock. A strap around a suitcase can be removed with one slash of a sharp knife. Most (all?) zippers can be easily invaded by running a sharp object over the zipper teeth to separate them, and then re-closed with the normal zipper action. We're in the new millenium now.

• 2 weeks later...

According to a report in the local press, there is an organized gang robbing the luggage.

They busted them, but it appears they are back at it.

As long as they don't ripoff any bigshot Thais and just target foreigners it will probably be allowed to continue.

Edited by PadThaiGuy

• 1 month later...

I use hardcase "American Tourister" brand luggage which has a built in combo lock and two side latch locks. I always lock it with the built in combo and the last few flights out and into Suavarnabhumi i've had valuables inside. I carry computer equipment often and last time I had a boxed brand new Samsung LCD monitor worth around 12,400 baht inside my suitcase, two 320 gig harddrives, and a very nice high definition/blu-ray LG dvd drive that's only available in the U.S. and would sell easily for 30,000 baht and up here Not to mention lots of nice dress clothes.

I've flown out several times with items of equivalent value and no attempted breakin has been made. Then again I use a heavy duty hardcase suitcase which could be the reason why. If you have valuables I suggest you lock it and do the same. If the authorities really want to bust your suitcase open I think they will at least make the effort to return it to you valuables intact. I'd rather lose a $75 suitcase from an official search than $2,000 worth of electronics.

Edited by wintermute

I carry computer equipment often and last time I had a boxed brand new Samsung LCD monitor worth around 12,400 baht inside my suitcase, two 320 gig harddrives

A bit OT here, but wouldn't you have pack the hard drives extremely well? Everyone knows how much luggage gets thrown about by the handlers. I'd hesitate putting them in there, or has the shockproof-ness of modern drives been improved significantly?

A bit OT here, but wouldn't you have pack the hard drives extremely well? Everyone knows how much luggage gets thrown about by the handlers. I'd hesitate putting them in there, or has the shockproof-ness of modern drives been improved significantly?

I carried both in their original plastic container and wrapped it in a shock absorbent gel blanket. So far so good. Seagate has a 5 year warranty regardless...