Canon G7

wilko

It's come to the time when I have to get a new small camera.

• I've been looking at the G& - does anyone know of an online review of this model?
  • Are there any of the accessories available in Thailand - i.e. - wide angle/long range lens etc.
  • Any shops giving a discount - RRP seems to be B19900?

Any problems known with this model?

An image shot in raw gives you the ability to adjust your images in 16bit color which is magnitudes higher than 8bit jpegs. In Photoshop you can make dramatic adjustments to levels that are non catastrophic. This means you can tweak an image back and fourth and still retain an unbroken curve in the histogram.

In simpler terms; you can pull a ton of detail out of your image without destroying it. The downside is very large file sizes. Any serious shot should be done in raw if you have the space on your card. There is a raw image importer available for free on the Adobe site, I think it is called DNG camera raw. It converts your raw file into an Adobe friendly format.

So it might be a consideration as I do use Photoshop a lot.

what similar price range - under 20 k would you suggest.

It needs to be quite compact.

I'll get an SLR later

Dude, don't waste your money.....get an SLR.

If you are serious, and want to learn, get a Nikon D40 kit. Almost in price range.

You will thank me. Good luck!!

So it might be a consideration as I do use Photoshop a lot.

what similar price range - under 20 k would you suggest.

It needs to be quite compact.

I'll get an SLR later

Dude, don't waste your money.....get an SLR.

If you are serious, and want to learn, get a Nikon D40 kit. Almost in price range.

You will thank me. Good luck!!

I second that :o

G9 eh? But I suppose that will be dearer or maybe we will see the G7 discounted a bit?

AS for SLR???? I've said I want a compact camera......I have been using cameras as part of my job for longer than I care to mention....I have an SLR for when I need an SLR but at present I'm up dating my compact....but when it comes to actually taking photos you might as well try and teach your granny to suck eggs!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Are there any of the accessories available in Thailand - i.e. - wide angle/long range lens etc.

This camera is not an SLR, so interchangeable lenses are not an option.

Forget any screw on lens adapters, they are not worth while.

• 1 month later...

OK - I'm well aware that a G9 is not an SLR and I know what I want to use it for.......

I've used "screw-on adapters" before from Canon on my old model and they were very good.they are available for this model too but not in Thailand...I'll get some sent over.

The G9 is now available over here and I hope to get mine this week.

It seems that there are a lot of people who own cameras who are much more interested in the equipment than what you are meant to do with it.......in case you've forgotten they are for TAKING PHOTOS.....

the click is only one part of a long, creative process - some of the best photos in the world were taken on box brownies or similar and you may recall that the famed Leica range was primarily not SLR.

To take a good photo you need first to be able to take the photo - then the APPROPRIATE equipment to take it is only one more stage and what you do after that is what can make or break it as a successful image.