Looking To Buy Car

twix38

Can anyone advise me on any tips to buy a 2nd hand car in Pattaya. Looking for one around 200,000 Baht.

Any tips for model? car only, not pick up etc

What happens about foreign ownership? I am English. Heard about Yellow book, but know nothing about it or process. Can I own jointly with my Thai girlfriend?

I will have my UK license and International Driving Permit. Is this enough?

I return to Thailand each year and so can renew my IDP in England each year. Hence I can think of no reason to need a Thai driving license, but is that correct?

Best insurance cover and company?

Any other help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Ownership is based on your visa not your license. You'll need a non immigrant visa for that. Get a Thai license.

2nd hand prices are a rip off mostly as vehicles hold their value much more than the west. You can buy a new vios from Bt509,000

Edited by torrenova

thanks torrenova,

Interesting.

I plan to return to England and then back to Thailand each year anyway on a new Non mmigrant O visa. This is what I want to do. On this basis is there any advantage to get a Thai license, as for ease it seems straight forward and simple just to pay my GBP 5.50 annually and get a IDP from home? Couldn't be much easier, unless there is some sort of catch or restriction I don't know about?

Still means I can buy a 2nd hand car for half the price or less. I am looking to spend only about 200k and ok with a reliable 5 or 10 year old car at half the 500k price. Am I thinking well here?

All other info appreciated, as original question (insurance choices recommendations etc)

Thanks

Edited by twix38

Torrenova is right that used cars are too expensive in Thailand. I think there is a second option to buying new, however: Buying an old junker for a very low price. Repairs are very cheap in Thailand, and as long as you get a car with a lot of parts available, you'll be able to get by quite cheaply.

The downside of course is you may have some downtime for repairs. If you intend to do a lot of driving, you should think about getting an lpg or npv vehicle, or converting. Saves a fortune on gas.

We picked up an old clunker for less than 100,000 about 5 months ago that runs on lpg, and we've done ok so far (knock on wood).

As for insurance, if I were you I'd go to a couple brokers and get quotes. There's one near Excyte disco ( called NCD?, north on third road next to the big motorcycle sales shop) and a new one near Big C South Pattaya in the new shophouses opposite. If you buy new I'd try to get the insurance thrown in free.

Look at this very useful post has detailed description of what is involved.

I think that legally you may need to drive on a Thai license if you own the car, or are staying here for a prolonged period. Having said that a lot of people don't bother ... I don't think it is worth the risk of the police/insurance/liability problems if ever involved in an accident, when you have a Non O visa it is easy enough to get your girlfriend to help you get a license in Pattaya, just check the numerous threads on here for doing so. Then a year later get your 5 Year, very easy to do and then you're sorted, also serves as ID.

Is is very easy to get a Thai driver license + they give your UK license back.... [i had to take colour blindness test + reaction test, took all of 3 mins.

Most insurance Companies will not cover you unless you have a Thai license.....

You need proof of thai address to reg the car here + to get Thai License, The Embassy charges a lot but is easy, or [what I did] find your local Amber Rep take him/her to the Town Hall > see Junta > get ampur Rep to explain what you want > call back next day for said letter > Costs Nill or just a gift to the Ampur Rep

I would recommend extreme caution buying a second hand car in Thailand, if you are not mechanically minded get someone who is to assist. As labour is so cheap, it is very easy for them to tart up a piece of junk, to resemble a nice motor! There are good motors out there, but at the price you wont to pay they are not easy to find.

Personally, I would register car in girlfriends name (mine is), then if there ever is a problem the Police will come looking for her - not you!

Good Luck