Sushi?

cneuy3

I know of Hot Pot and they use to have a Japanese restaurant in Central which I now think has been closed. Does anyone know of any alternatives to Hot Pot where I can eat some sushi?

I have always enjoyed the sushi at the Empress Hotel lunchtime buffet, but you must be there by Noon with sharp elbows! It may also be the only table worth visiting now, as I heard from regulars last week that the quality of the rest of their once proud, excellent value offerings were becoming poor to inedible.

A Japanese friend said a year ago that Zen in Airport Shopping Plaza was her favourite local sushi place. A few weeks ago I found it just average and just a little pricey.

Try the hotly recommended buffet at the Grand View Hotel on the city side of superhighway (formerly the Holiday Inn, Green-something-blah-blah), said to be superb, generous and Very low cost.

Also the tiny Japanese restaurant in Sidornchai on your left after you cross the stinking klong heading for Changklan. Cheerful people, fast service, good prices.

I know of Hot Pot and they use to have a Japanese restaurant in Central which I now think has been closed. Does anyone know of any alternatives to Hot Pot where I can eat some sushi?

I have always enjoyed the sushi at the Empress Hotel lunchtime buffet, but you must be there by Noon with sharp elbows! It may also be the only table worth visiting now, as I heard from regulars last week that the quality of the rest of their once proud, excellent value offerings were becoming poor to inedible.

A Japanese friend said a year ago that Zen in Airport Shopping Plaza was her favourite local sushi place. A few weeks ago I found it just average and just a little pricey.

Try the hotly recommended buffet at the Grand View Hotel on the city side of superhighway (formerly the Holiday Inn, Green-something-blah-blah), said to be superb, generous and Very low cost.

Also the tiny Japanese restaurant in Sidornchai on your left after you cross the stinking klong heading for Changklan. Cheerful people, fast service, good prices.

I agree about ZEN, the restaurant is conveniently located in the mall and its nicely decorated, but I still find it hard to justify the price for the quality of their sushi. For more authentic Japanese food and sushi, I'd try Gigantea Restaurant, its next to the Gecko Bookstore near Mike's Burger on the moat; and another upmarket place is ZYU Restaurant, located in the Twin Peaks Residence on Changklan Road.

For quick sushi fixes, there is Tsunami on Huay Kaew Road, near Lanna 3. And also there is a road side open-aired resto with decent sushi; from the Kad Suan Kaew/Huay Kaew Road junction, take a left onto Hassadisewi Road, the place is shortly on the left hand side. I think its only open in the evening.

Has anyone tried Tabeya? Its on Soi 11, Sirimangkalajarn Road, opposite from Zum Sabai Moo Kata. The place serves Japanese fusion cuisine, first of its kind in C.M.? I can't wait to give it a try this weekend!

I find the sushi in most hotel buffets be a little stale and usually inferior quality (they use the wrong kind of rice and don't use rice vinegar), but I will have to try Gigantea Restaurant to see if the sushi is better or cheaper than Zen which I think is quite good for the price. We have eaten there before, but didn't try the sushi. I thought that it was more expensive than the chain places, so didn't bother to go back.

Excellent value for money, and quite a wide selection. Also very good Thai dishes, but the western food tends to be a little inconsistent. As far as value for money goes, you just can't beat it for 120 Baht finishing off with a coffee and pastries on the terrace.

cneuy3: You may be thinking of the Japanese Restaurant on the 2nd level of Huay Kaew shopping center, its exact name escapes me, but I believe it is Sakei and it is still open. Its quite close to the Bangkok Bank and has been there for more than five years. It is a chain with restaurants in Singapore, Manila and other Asian cities. For the 30 baht a plate, its Sushi is a good price, cheaper than Zen, but not as good.

The problem with their Sushi is the rice. They just don't know how to mix in the seasoned vinegar as the rice is cooling. On the other hand, the rice they produce in the kitchen is excellent Japanese rice and I often order their chicken "tonkatsu" just to eat their rice. Overall, their prices are quite reasonable considering what is available elsewhere and you aren't too fussy about your Japanese food.

I admire my daughter who has eaten sushi all over Asia and has eaten in the best sushi establishments in Tokyo due to her job. She enjoys sushi as her favorite dish and never complains about the quality. She said she enjoyed the sushi at Sakei, the restaurant mentioned above, when I took her there. I have had the best sushi the world has to offer, not only in Tokyo but in Japan Town in L.A. and I am most nostalgic about those experiences. However, if you enjoy Sushi and crave it on a regular basis, you take what you can get and make the best of it. Convenience and price are always a consideration with me. But then my best friend once told me "You eat, I dine" and I think there is a lot of truth in what he said, as far as I am concerned and may well explain my point of view outlined above. On the other hand, I will not eat sushi that has been "assembled" more that thirty minutes before I have ordered it.

Tsunami gets my big thumbs up... :o

Of course, I'm a bit prejudiced...it's steps away from the front door of my apt bldg.

I've eaten at Zen at Airport Central; OK quality but pricey.

I haven't tried some of the other places mentioned, and I thank all of you for your posts.

Like ProThaiExpat, I am a real sushi hound, and have eaten the best of the best, on a weekly basis, in SoCal, where there is a very large number of both sushi restaurants, and Japanese salarymen, on company expense accounts, who can spent the money.

When I first moved here, I really didn't expect to even find or eat real sushi.

Glad to read this thread, and will try out some of these places soon....!

McG

The Empress does serve some very nice sushi and sashimi if you get there early. My only complaint, and this goes for ALL the Japanese restaurants in Chiang Mai, is the limited selection. I lived in Japan for 13 years, and would eat at kaitenzushi restaurants (these are the ones with the conveyor belts like "Sakura" in Central) at least 2-3 times a week. I got very used to being able to just reach up and snatch so many different dishes. Here in Chiang Mai I've NEVER seen hamaguri, hamachi, tai, maguro, awabi, roast duck, uni, ika, scallops, etc. It all seems to be either saba or salmon, with the occasional shrimp thrown in, or else drowned in ebiko or tobiko! So tonight I made a fusion dish... I had made a vindaloo last night, roto-tilled the leftovers, and make temaki zushi vindaloo for dinner tonight! Not bad, but would never go over in Osaka....

Most expats that I know seem to frequent either Fuji or Zen, and I've heard reports that BOTH have reduced portions and jacked up prices, however, I've noticed that there are often rumors around about such things that are actually not true.

I shall be forced to check it out personally! :o

I'm now living more than a year in Chiang Mai, and I'm a regular visitor to Fuji or Zen, at least once a week. So far I haven't noticed any price increase. Concerning sushi and sashimi Zen seems to be better.

A good value for money is the japanese buffet every friday night at the Duang Tawan Hotel. I think it's 230 B.

The best I have had in Chiang Mai so far is Zen at Airport Plaza. The price is a bit on the high side though. Before Zen opened I used to go to Fuji, but have not been back for over a year.

My impression is the presentation and service are better at Zen, also, Zen have excellent New Zealand beef at a decent price.

The open air Japanese place on Huay Kaew Road, opposite Buffet House, has decent quality sushi, and the best fresh gyoza I have tasted in Chiang Mai. Due to popularity they have raised their prices a bit though. They used to be extremel good value, now they are just ok.

I've only tried Tsunami once, and thought it was about the same as the open air place, so for that reason I have not been back. There is supposed to be another small Japanese restaurant in the vicinity of Chang Moi Rd. apart from the one behind Rydges Amora and the Gigantea on Chang Moi Rd. proper. Does anyone know which one I am talking about? Supposed to be good.

Concerning sushi and sashimi Zen seems to be better.

I agree that Zen is the better for sushi and sashimi and I would guess the best in town.

I went to Fuji today and it was as good as ever and I niticed no price increase.

Man, I'm happy that we have these places in Chiang Mai! :o

Guys, there is a Japanese Restaurant out the other side of Nong Hoi market (the other side of the Holiday Inn) on a Soi off the Lamphun Road the same area as Nang Nual restaurant ?? that has a buffet priced at 325 baht but includes sushi, sashimi, teppanyaki, even oysters thai style as well as your usual noodles etc plus a dessert bar. Price is up there I know for a buffet but the food is great, fresh and plenty of it. Its well worth a try for those who haven't been there, we (my g/f and I) go there a couple of times a month and are never disappointed. Give it a try if you love Japanese like we do!!!

• 4 months later...
. . . . . For more authentic Japanese food and sushi, I'd try Gigantea Restaurant, its next to the Gecko Bookstore near Mike's Burger on the moat; and another upmarket place is ZYU Restaurant, located in the Twin Peaks Residence on Changklan Road. . . . .

My wife and I discovered Gigantea recently, through a simple sighting of it as we passed by on our scooter. Decided -- without the benefit of the quoted post -- to give it a try a couple of days later.

My wife being Japanese and me being half-Japanese, we were delighted to find that it has some of the best and most authentic Japanese food we have found yet in Chiangmai. We highly recommend it. Just now, in what is close to the right season for it in Japan, they have sanma shioyaki (a fish called Pacific saury in English, according to my dictionary, grilled simply with salt). That alone would inspire any number of Japanese to high-tail it straight to the restaurant. Well prepared and scrumptious. As Japanese diners, we don't focus so exclusively on sashimi or sushi and in fact did not order any at all, so I cannot say how good it is there.

Don't get the wrong idea. This place is not at all up there in the stratosphere compared with Japanese restaurants in Japan, but from what we tasted, definitely worth the dine.

Oddly, it is not owned or run by Japanese. The owner is a youngish, friendly Thai man. His Japanese is excellent, though, and he has spent years doing business, of some kind, with Japan. However he got there, he knows what he is doing.

I agree about ZEN, the restaurant is conveniently located in the mall and its nicely decorated, but I still find it hard to justify the price for the quality of their sushi. For more authentic Japanese food and sushi, I'd try Gigantea Restaurant, its next to the Gecko Bookstore near Mike's Burger on the moat; and another upmarket place is ZYU Restaurant, located in the Twin Peaks Residence on Changklan Road.

For quick sushi fixes, there is Tsunami on Huay Kaew Road, near Lanna 3. And also there is a road side open-aired resto with decent sushi; from the Kad Suan Kaew/Huay Kaew Road junction, take a left onto Hassadisewi Road, the place is shortly on the left hand side. I think its only open in the evening.

Has anyone tried Tabeya? Its on Soi 11, Sirimangkalajarn Road, opposite from Zum Sabai Moo Kata. The place serves Japanese fusion cuisine, first of its kind in C.M.? I can't wait to give it a try this weekend!

For Tabeya, the place looks good but both service and food sucks big time. Oh well, it's just another place where CMU students want to persue their own business but it just doesn't work (it was once known as Yatai)

For the best Sushi restaurant in Thailand, it would be "Tsu" at the Marriott Hotel (same owner as the Ginza Sushiko in Los Angeles). For two it costs over $600 but in Bangkok the exact same menu costs 8000 Baht.

But in Chiang Mai, sadly, for me it would still be Zen at Airport Plaza. I think it is worth every baht you pay for. The quality is acceptable and the service is okay. Fuji is now getting way too commercial and I think for that quality it doesn't deserve the price they're charging.

Japanese Restaurant in Royal Princess Hotel sucks big time. No good, and no match for its neighboring Chinese Restaurant which is pretty good. There is also a Japanese Restaurant at Nang Nuan Restaurant and it's buffet. But I think it has gotten worse every year (more competition in town).

Therefore money wise, I think Zen is probably the best choice.

There is also a new japanese restaurant opened in front of Tops Supermarket, Airport Plaza. I haven't had a chance to try it just yet.

Yesterday I had a home delivery from Oishi of Alaska crab bento for 179 baht. It was excellent. Having eaten at Fuji regularly and around town at many Japanese places with Japanese business associates, I can honesty say the the food was superb and fresh. This was tremedous value, phone service was efficient and delivery prompt (<30 minutes)