New £20 Notes

Addicted2Pattaya

Yep my pal and me were daft enough to have 200 + pounds of Scottish notes with us first time we went to Thailand. No bank or any other place would accept them at all. The only way was to send them back to the UK to a family member and get the money into a bank account where we could withdraw from internationally.

They have the bloody queen's head on them so it kind of pi**es me of how they are about as much use as toilet paper outside Scotland.

I once had a shop in England refuse to take a Scottish bill with a picture of HIS queen on it :o

Yep my pal and me were daft enough to have 200 + pounds of Scottish notes with us first time we went to Thailand. No bank or any other place would accept them at all. The only way was to send them back to the UK to a family member and get the money into a bank account where we could withdraw from internationally.

They have the bloody queen's head on them so it kind of pi**es me of how they are about as much use as toilet paper outside Scotland.

I once had a shop in England refuse to take a Scottish bill with a picture of HIS queen on it :o

same thing ,took some scotish notes in exchange for baht from a customer late one night ,no one would exchange them ,ended up giving to someone going home ,really strange that they still dont take them ,in regard to the new 20 pound notes ,try not to bring any if you can ,better to be safe than sorry......

Brought 1500 quid into Thailand of the new 20 pound notes 4 weeks ago, changed some in Airport, and the rest at the SCB Bank in Buriram, no problem at all, did not even check them, maybe i look honest :o .

Edited by Thaicoon

I once had a shop in England refuse to take a Scottish bill with a picture of HIS queen on it

Simple solution is to threaten or actually phone the Police as it is against the law in the UK for anyone to refuse the currency in any guise, whether English, Scottish or even Isle of Man currency.

Wish I'd known that at the time. The guy was obviously just being a prat.

I once had a shop in England refuse to take a Scottish bill with a picture of HIS queen on it

Simple solution is to threaten or actually phone the Police as it is against the law in the UK for anyone to refuse the currency in any guise, whether English, Scottish or even Isle of Man currency.

Shops in England are perfectly entitled to refuse Scottish banknotes:

From the Bank of England website:

"Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?

In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.

The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application."

who owns the magic wand that turns paper into money anyway? thats one to ponder, the few white middle aged guys(i'd put that at 99% prob) that run the federal reserve have their identities protected. what a wonderfull world.

more on topic, as long as it says bank of england, with yer old womens head on it, its fine. maybe she has the wand? madam!

who owns the magic wand that turns paper into money anyway? thats one to ponder, the few white middle aged guys(i'd put that at 99% prob) that run the federal reserve have their identities protected. what a wonderfull world.

more on topic, as long as it says bank of england, with yer old womens head on it, its fine. maybe she has the wand? madam!

Forgive my ignorance but.......

What does colour and age have to do with it?

Particulary when as you said their identities are not made public.

Isle of Man (Manx) Currency is not legal tender in the UK and therefore can't be used in England, Scotland etc.

But from past experiences,(I lived on the Isle of man for 14 years) some retailers around the North West of England will accept Manx notes but at their discretion.

Edited by Shrubbery

Isle of Man (Manx) Currency is not legal tender in the UK and therefore can't be used in England, Scotland etc.

But from past experiences,(I lived on the Isle of man for 14 years) some retailers around the North West of England will accept Manx notes but at their discretion.

Yep IoM currency is not accepted anywhere in the UK other than the IoM (however IoM accept UK Sterling). The IoM has there own government, banking, police force etc etc just has the same queen (much like Australia . . just a lot closer!).

Every year we'd be there for the TT and there was always the traditional get rid of your Manx money on the last day shopping spree. I miss the place to be honest . . . even outside of TT fortnight a nice part of the world just a pity it's so close to the UK!!! :o

Running a business in England, the only way I could use Scottish notes was at the bank, paying them in. But I still used to accept them - to be helpful to my customers. :o

Don't forget that, carrying more than £6.5k (or 10k of euros) in cash through security in or out at a UK airport, you will now need to declare them, explain where you got the cash from, and why you're carrying so much money. All part of the anti-terrorist money-laundering & tax-avoidance-control regulations. Isn't it great being a free citizen of the United Kingdom ?!

I had scottish money refused in a turkish shop in East anglia.

i also had thai money refused in a thai restaurant. Though as it was in East anglia, I kind of accepted the rejection and ended up paying them with said scottish pounds. Which were given to me by an English bank.

I didn't bring turkish lire this time.

Though I hope to next time, as they may be on euro's soon.

I had scottish money refused in a turkish shop in East anglia.

i also had thai money refused in a thai restaurant. Though as it was in East anglia, I kind of accepted the rejection and ended up paying them with said scottish pounds. Which were given to me by an English bank.

I didn't bring turkish lire this time.

Though I hope to next time, as they may be on euro's soon.

I thought the legal currency in East Anglia was carrots & turnips.

the problem with scotish money in england that not that many people are familiar with them and there is a higher risk of fakes being accepted in a hurry.

Same may go with accepting them abroad and I would suspect at the same time, that they don't have yet that good and that many security meausures on them and are easily falsified