Another Dead Tourist

mark100

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I got the R1, however, the EFI one's brake lights weren't working so after a quick spin I returned it for a 2003 Carbeurated R1 Deltabox II. Is there a difference between the carbeurated and fuel injection on this bike? I really don't notice anything different and they seem just as quick.

Didn't have any doubts or scares driving the R1 on the highway. Shifts were smooth and took it to about 90MPH without a problem. Putting my leather bike jacket on now and going to hit some turns and higher speed :o

Next would be the newer 2007 R1 :D then I'll lay low for a while.

1st base, when changing down, pull the clutch in blip the throttle and let out clutch, this will speed the engine up ready for the lower gear, this will help eliminate the reaction of the rear wheel having to speed the engine up, thus allowing a smoother gearchange as well,

Keep at it, im sure you will get there, cheers, Lickey.

1st base, when changing down, pull the clutch in blip the throttle and let out clutch, this will speed the engine up ready for the lower gear, this will help eliminate the reaction of the rear wheel having to speed the engine up, thus allowing a smoother gearchange as well,

Keep at it, im sure you will get there, cheers, Lickey.

I seemed to have concured that part pretty good now.

I finally got my first ticket here in Thailand :o I was speeding pretty much everywhere in the city and then I come to a left turn and slow down to about 20km/h and the cop pulls me over (the street I was turning from was blocked by a building so the cop only saw me then and there). Kind of ironic how you get pulled over for nothing here where passing 2 cops (1 in a car 1 on a bike) at 150km/h on sukumvit doesn't get you stopped. Was open to a 200 tea money thing but they wanted 600 so I went to the station, big line up, will go again tomorrow and get my lic back. Is the police station on soi 9 and pattaya beach road open 24 hours to pay tickets? I am kind of a night owl and a 4am trip wouldnt be a problem. Anyways, whats funny is as I was at the side of the road, the cop went in the middle of the road with his hand signalling a puney 100cc bike to pull over and the bike just continued going so the cop through his ticket book at the bikes passengers back, went and picked it up, then pull over the next motorbike he saw. haahahahahahahahahahahahaha i love this country.

Anyways, I learned another very important lesson today. After going 204km/h which was 2km/h more than my record yesterday, I know I know, im dead, 10 second later I hit this small bump at 140km/h and my front wheels shake as I quickly grasped to regain control. If I was riding with one hand or a bit more loosely or fast, I would have tested my motorcycle armor then and there flying or tipping at 140km/h. I am pretty lucky and was in shock for a few second, then I made a u turn and went back to the same bump at 100km/h, paying attention and holding onto my bike really tight, went over it with immense control, tried again at 140km/h, no problem,tried again at 160km/h, no problem. I guess hugging the bike really helps in this situation. Since I was protected I think if I did crash at 140km/h like that I wouldn't be dead but i figure probably would have broken my leg, hand, and neck at most on impact, no scrapes though cause of the armor. Any other advise to avoid this happening again other than hugging the bike tight or not riding?

Ok, so youve got the gearchanging right, listening to the engine, feeling when the power is used in that gear and time to change gear, good, and yes, you can change gear at 5000rpm or lower, big bikes have a lot of grunt and will accomadate your riding style easily,

Ok, moving on to speed bumps, potholes ect, you see a hazard like a speed hump or pothole you cant avoid, so hit the brakes as hard as road conditions allow, but before you hit the bump or pothole, let the brakes go, and relax yourself, if you hit the obstacle with brkes applied, the front forks are bottomed out and no travel left in them, thus causing you to take all the shock and thus testing your body amour, you could even stand on the footrests to lessen the shock through your body, and keep the throttle closed while this is going on till the bike is stable again, ive never 'hugged' a bike on a bad road, but whatever suits your style is ok for you, Good luck, Cheers, Lickey.

Ok, so youve got the gearchanging right, listening to the engine, feeling when the power is used in that gear and time to change gear, good, and yes, you can change gear at 5000rpm or lower, big bikes have a lot of grunt and will accomadate your riding style easily,

Ok, moving on to speed bumps, potholes ect, you see a hazard like a speed hump or pothole you cant avoid, so hit the brakes as hard as road conditions allow, but before you hit the bump or pothole, let the brakes go, and relax yourself, if you hit the obstacle with brkes applied, the front forks are bottomed out and no travel left in them, thus causing you to take all the shock and thus testing your body amour, you could even stand on the footrests to lessen the shock through your body, and keep the throttle closed while this is going on till the bike is stable again, ive never 'hugged' a bike on a bad road, but whatever suits your style is ok for you, Good luck, Cheers, Lickey.

Thanks thats some good advice. This was more of a patch of new pavement rather than a bump. About 1.5 meters long so when the patch starts the bike goes up and by the time the patch ends the bike could not be ready yet for the down. I actually used the stand up technique for some potholes and it worked great, but once i stood up a bit much and back and it flinged me back and reved the bike a bit, but i was going only 40km/h so it wasnt a biggy. I usually go over bumps in neutral and am well aware the power of braking and to avoid over doing it, same goes with cars I guess. No recent problems on my latest run. 120km/h on R1 so far, still haven't had to fill up on gas again :o Might try a hwy 36 run tomorrow during the daytime.

[Thanks thats some good advice. This was more of a patch of new pavement rather than a bump. About 1.5 meters long so when the patch starts the bike goes up and by the time the patch ends the bike could not be ready yet for the down. I actually used the stand up technique for some potholes and it worked great, but once i stood up a bit much and back and it flinged me back and reved the bike a bit, but i was going only 40km/h so it wasnt a biggy. I usually go over bumps in neutral and am well aware the power of braking and to avoid over doing it, same goes with cars I guess. No recent problems on my latest run. 120km/h on R1 so far, still haven't had to fill up on gas again :D Might try a hwy 36 run tomorrow during the daytime.

try Siam country road. they just re-surfaced all the way up golf course. lovely sticky tarmac all the way :D:D just do a slow run first to check out any bad patches :o

Edited by deckx