Advice About Baby Poo

Aussietraveller

Hi all,

I never in my wildest dreams thought that one day i would be inquiring on the internet about baby poo, but here i go...

We have a little girl about 10 weeks old.

She is well healthy, and up until now, pooing a lot.

For the last 3 days, nothing...

She is well, eating well, peeing a lot, no sign of any problem.

But no poo.

Should we worry, or take her to the Doctor tomorrow.

As a first time parent, i do not know if this is normal, or if we should worry.

It just seems like a long time with no bowel movement for one so small.

All serious advice appreciated.

Regards

Hi all,

I never in my wildest dreams thought that one day i would be inquiring on the internet about baby poo, but here i go...

But no poo.

Regards

Our daughter at the same age didnt go for a week, it can the the milk binding them, we gave her some prune juice, still nothing, then my wifes sister has the idea to use a smal candle, ! gently and lubricated, by now its a week, it did the trick ,there were some tummy rumblings and out it came,she then sleeps for almost 3 days, we were worried and went to the doctor, he told us the babys at that age can get confused and think they are still in mums tum and just relax !, i wouldny worry if i were you, goood fun arent they !, :o

My son is 3 months now, we had exactly the same problem. The doctor said it was normal. Just to help a little we feed him betagen, (yakult), with a syringe/dropper. I guess he has about 20 ml per day. By the way, he is 100% breast fed, i don't know if that makes any difference.

I think like others have said it is perfectly normal. One thing that helped me that my mother-in-law told me to do is under the belly button just massage gently in a circular movement clockwise. Not sure why this helps but when my daughter was young and she got gas, or constipated I did this and it helped.

I think like others have said it is perfectly normal. One thing that helped me that my mother-in-law told me to do is under the belly button just massage gently in a circular movement clockwise. Not sure why this helps but when my daughter was young and she got gas, or constipated I did this and it helped.

Well just under the belly button and slightly to the right (looking at the baby or left looking down at your own stomach) is your bowels. So gently massaging here 'could' help constipation however it could also be slightly distressing and tender if very constipated.

My wife has told me that if a baby doesn't poo for 4 days then it should go to the hospital, which is what she did with our little one.

Something about the poo blocking up and causing a problem in the stomach, and it being very hard to get out if left any longer anyway, could tear the kids rectum.

The doc gave some suppositories and it was all out within half an hour. Sounded a lot like an 'old wives tale' to me but better not take any chances I reckon.

Another technique the doctor told us to do when our baby was not pooing was to lay him on his back and cycle his legs like hes riding a bike. We had times when he wouldnt poo and times when he was pooing alot I dont think it is anything to serious.

Recently hes been pooing alot and the doctor reconmended Lactos free milk just until he pooing got better

Hi all,

But no poo.

Regards

As i posted one serious one i hope you dont mind this one ,.We had a guy we use to go round with a few years back, his nickname was nappy, cause he was full of s@it ! :o Edited by mikethevigoman

• 2 weeks later...

Some healthy babies will have only ONE bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is NO CAUSE to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is NOT NECESSARY to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have HARMFUL consequences to your baby.

My little girl is seven months old now.When she was breast feeding for the the first few months, she would often go 3 or 4 days without a poo.My wife was not at all worried, she said its normal (this is her third child and my first). I asked the doctor in the maternity ward anyway and she agreed with my wife.You have nothing to worry about....she did suggest a small suppositary if we were really worried or a week went by.

Now she is on milk and solid food, she is as regular as clock work and a very healthy litle baby---

just as my wife and doctors told me she was

Edited by BossHogg

From what I've heard it isn't a problem - when my son was newborn, he was very irregular! Now I have the opposite problem - stopping him from pooing (when Mummy's not around!) I've found that when he's going to poo he always assumes 'the position' - standing up, leaning forward against a door and grunting! Stop him from getting into the position, and he's poo free till Mummy comes home! :o

From what I've heard it isn't a problem - when my son was newborn, he was very irregular! Now I have the opposite problem - stopping him from pooing (when Mummy's not around!) I've found that when he's going to poo he always assumes 'the position' - standing up, leaning forward against a door and grunting! Stop him from getting into the position, and he's poo free till Mummy comes home! :o

And there was me thinking "door stop" was a kind of wedge!

• 2 weeks later...
Some healthy babies will have only ONE bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is NO CAUSE to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is NOT NECESSARY to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have HARMFUL consequences to your baby.

Seconded.

Any website on baby poo - and yes, there are many out there, no i am not joking - will tell you this.

Especially breastfed babys can not poo for a week, or several times a day and very runny and it's all normal.

• 3 weeks later...

Seconded.

Any website on baby poo - and yes, there are many out there, no i am not joking - will tell you this.

Especially breastfed babys can not poo for a week, or several times a day and very runny and it's all normal.

nonsence. once a week ? constipation is very harmful in many ways, the best thing to do is to use sup'ry - works great.

Yakult for little baby ? Another nonsence. Kick that doctor in the arse ...

Prune juice - another creeppy advice.

Sorry for partial flame, but I can't see ppl torture their own just from retarded advises. Nobody teaches that kind cr*p in medical school - it's all an amature knowledge.

Ok, now about subject. very nice and best effect would come from enema of warm water + few drops of sesame or another neutral oil. The goal is to keep baby fresh and healthy and not storing any two days crap. In fact - none of us too :-)

Edited by Oleg_Rus