Vegetarians ?

Gonzo the Face

Knowing that this forum is full of members who do not shy away from offering their opinions, no matter how they come across, I thought I would pose the following.

I direct it towards those members who have a moderate amount of contact with vegetarians. Maybe restaurant owners or those who may come in contact with tourists from all over the globe.

The question.

Do you find that vegetarians have unusual personalities and act or are a little different from non-vegetarians?

This question is posed seriously and not intended to pick on either side of the issue.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I have met some real weirdos in the vegetarian sector--but meat eaters certainly have there share of weirdos as well.

I have quite a few friends who are vegetarian and a few of them a militant. Most happily order vegetarian dishes and if there is meat accidently in it, they pick it out and eat the rest. Some return it with a smile or give it to someone else. A few have an absolute hissy-fit, and must pontificate on the horrors of eating meat, killing animals and the myriad health problems facing all and sundry--I can't imagine why they would go out to eat actually.

No. Most of them stuff themselves on milk, butter, eggs, cheese, ice cream and other unhealthy foods that "enslaved" animals produce, so what is the point of not eating milk.

Vegans - that actually stick to it - might have different personalities, but I'm not sure that I know any REAL ones. :o

Do you find that vegetarians have unusual personalities and act or are a little different from non-vegetarians?

i am convinced they act different. those pure vegetarians i know are much less tolerant in each and every respect than meat-eaters.

i am convinced they act different. those pure vegetarians i know are much less tolerant in each and every respect than meat-eaters.

The vegetarians I've known have been so much more tolerant and at peace than meat-eaters.

Compare a tiger and elephant.

When an animal is slaughtered, there is a negative imprint left in it's meat. Our 'soul' is very sensitive to these imprints.

When I became a vegetarian years ago for 4 years, I noticed a huge improvement in my level of serenity.

Meat-eaters have a much harder time trying to meditate - one reason that monks in Thailand are advised to eat no meat.

Most of the published research and studies I have read show that vegetarians are healthier and on an average live quite a few years longer than meat eaters. I am not a vegetarian but have tried through the years to eat less meat as I personally think this is for me a healthier way to eat. I think for most people that the quest for good health and possibly personal and religious beliefs has more to do with it than personality traits. I think that being a true vegetarian probably requires a great amount of self discipline so would guess that would be a fairly common trait that was found in strict vegetarians.

Since this is a Thai forum it might be appropriate to mention the link between Buddhism and vegetarianism. The subject is somewhat more complex but in simple terms, the Buddha ate meat and therefore was not a vegetarian. However, he advised that meat should only be eaten when it was not seen, heard or suspected that the animal had been specifically killed for the monk's consumption. In Buddhism, therefore, meat is not something that is forbidden but the circumstances which result in the meat being served for consumption is a factor. However, it does not appear to me in my personal observation of Thai eating habits that most Thai's I know pay much attention to this aspect of Buddhism. :o

Last week I received some disturbing information from a friend of mine who lives in Chumphon. This information affects everyone, especially vegans, and as a public service I want to alert as many people as possible.

It appears that the contractors that pump out the waste from septic tanks in the region immediately sell it to farmers to fertilize their fruit and vegetable crops. This untreated waste still contains everything good and bad that humans expel and I’m not sure if certain cells can leach into the crops that evidentially end up in the produce we buy at our markets.

Hopefully someone will investigate and let us know if the untreated human waste fertilization process is totally safe. At the very least this cannot be good news for the vegans among us.

Human beings are so called "omnivores", which means by nature, by evolution they eat everything, meat, plant, fish.

By leaving out one of the components of a balanced food diet, you inevitably influence the well being of the body, and not in a good way.

I never understood why some vegetarians are almost on a mission to convince me not to eat meat, have merci for the poor animals, etc. But I had a great-grand father who incidentally invented the "muesli" (his name was Bircher), but he died very young. His brother, smoked, eat lots of meat and enjoyed life, lived 92. OK, just a single case, statistically irrelevant.

But, you know the guy who went to see the doctor and asked if he would turn vegetarian and give up drinking and smoking and seeing women, would he live longer? The doctor said: "No you won't live longer, but it sure feels like that." (So boring).

You see, I am a guy who has no vices: i don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't swear and I am faithful. I have only one problem: I lie ... :o

Edited by dominique355

Human beings are so called "omnivores", which means by nature, by evolution they eat everything, meat, plant, fish.

By leaving out one of the components of a balanced food diet, you inevitably influence the well being of the body, and not in a good way.

I never understood why some vegetarians are almost on a mission to convince me not to eat food, have merci for the poor animals, etc. But I had a great-grand father who incidentally invented the "muesli" (his name was Bircher), but he died very young. His brother, smoked, eat lots of meat and enjoyed life, lived 92. OK, just a single case, statistically irrelevant.

But, you know the guy who went to see the doctor and asked if he would turn vegetarian and give up drinking and smoking and seeing women, would he live longer? The doctor said: "No you won't live longer, but it sure feels like that." (So boring).

You see, I am a guy who has no vices: i don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't swear and I am faithful. I have only one problem: I lie ... :D

my wife is a vegetarian ,always has been ,mainly as a child being poor and family could'nt afford meat ,i do find i eat less meat than when living in the uk ,only eat chicken now ,no red meat ,feel helthier ,dont notice any change in my personality ,still a misrable son oef a........ :o

When an animal is slaughtered, there is a negative imprint left in it's meat. Our 'soul' is very sensitive to these imprints.

My soul is sensitive to utter hogwash too.

More silly drivel from people lost in their own sphere. Oops, guess I am not tolerant enough.

Dr. B

Some good points, ex Oxwill's comment.

Untreated sewer waste used for fertiliser is toxic. The Chinese learned this during the Cultural Revolution when they used night soil to fertilise. I think it's hepatitis (like you get from swimming in the ocean near resorts that have ringed septic tanks near the beach). Also, e coli, which was in fresh spinach in North America this summer. There are warnings here not to cut into melons or avocado -- remove the skin first and wash because of some disease. I also remember several years back going to the morning market and all my Thai neighbours were checking out the veggies like they were murder suspects. Asked them what's going on, and they said, "Jettie, make sure it has a worm or bug on it, otherwise it's been sprayed with super pesticides" -- which is very true. Ah, fresh veg covered in DEET or whatever they use and it lasts for weeks in the fridge, along with the chemicals.

Militant vegetarians are as bad as militant anyone. I've know many that are lethargic, b*tchy and cantankerous. I always think of the vegan girlfriend of the guy who did the "Supersize Me" documentary. No thanks; I think I like myself as is.

Agree, we are omnivores. I can do vegetarian and I like the clean tastes, but I need protein from meat or fish. Give me a gun and I'll shoot, skin and eviserate my kill. And tan the hide for my moccasins.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Agreed, to be fanatic about anything is wrong.

cheers

onzestan

quite correct Neeranam! i realize that sensitivity of my soul every day after eating bread or drinking beer. when a grain is killed by drying, boiling or baking a negative imprint is left on it. but the best example is wine. the grapes are killed without mercy by mashing and then fermenting takes over. whenever i open a second bottle of portwine in the evening i feel the negative imprint the very next morning... not to talk of the bloody grimaces my old lady makes when she finds out that i went after a second bottle. by the way, my wife is 100% vegetarian. she discards her preference only when some friends visiting from Germany bring a suitcase full of "home made" sausages and ham and when my brother visits (he is a hunter) and carries with him deer or wild boar salami she becomes an animal and i have to fight with teeth and claws for my share.

edited: to adjust tchermann krammer that english speaking TV-members are able to udnerstand.

Edited by Dr. Naam