Sonthi May Become Deputy PM For Surayud

george

That's the problem with Abhisit, btw. He doesn't have the hunger and he won't get his hands dirty as a matter of principle. I'm pretty sure he'll step aside after the elections unless Dems win an overwhelming majority.

I am sure you can explain this better if you try as I am not sure what you are getting at. What exactly do you mean by getting his hands dirty? As for being involved in a tough political fight, you sell Abhisit short, not to mention the seniors in the Democratic party.

I'm saying that Abhisit doesn't look like PMship material.

When was the last time Abhisit made a political statement? People like Samak are all over the place, every day.

What holds him from talking to the public and the media? Leaders are supposed to lead, be at the front, in the spotlight. With Abhisit it looks like you have to drag him out by force. He just doesn't have the hunger. I suspect that deep down he doesn't want to be there, it's the role pushed on him by everyone else.

I also suspect Abhisit is afraid that whatever he says will be misconstrued. He's afraid to speak about the junta, and if he starts making promises, he's afraid people will accuse him of being populist. Not very promising when you consider he'll have to trade Cabinet horses with ex-TRT politicians who now are on the junta's side.

I'm not saying that he would be a bad PM, just unexciting and maybe downright boring, more like Burin's letters to BP and the Nation - spouting niceties and plattitudes and usually ignored.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Abhisit is playing it by the book as he was plenty active prior to the coup. I see a certain strategy here in letting the former TRT and other parties go out and strut their stuff and analyze them for weakness without exposing himself. I suspect when the day comes that the actual campaigning starts he will be very visible. I recall one of the sky trains was used for advertizing the democrats in early September last year gearing up for the elections that never were because of the coup.

Edited by John K

Could be, but his opponents, and especially Thaksin, are visible even when on the other side of the planet.

I also don't think that Abhisit is intentionally restraining himself at the moment. I think it comes naturally to him.

Could be, but his opponents, and especially Thaksin, are visible even when on the other side of the planet.

I also don't think that Abhisit is intentionally restraining himself at the moment. I think it comes naturally to him.

Perhaps we should get a DNA sample from him as this could be the next step in evolution, politicians who don’t just run their mouths. :D If that is the case we men can hope for women who actually come back from shopping still with some money on them. :o

The outcome of the election is no big deal, provided the new Senate is strong enough in doing its stuff as a revisionary chamber.

There does seem good hope that the overblown middle classes can have their say in Parliament, and let off their steam, and then the Senate will do what is right for the country.

Huh?

What do you think about half the senate being appointed and the overall selection process?

Abhisit said they would do away with it and return to fully elected Senate. I think they should give it a try first. The last elected Senate was a dissapointment.

PM Surayud and DPM Sonthi took oath before HM the King

The Prime Minister and Interior Minister, Gen. Surayud Chulanont (ΰΈͺΰΈΈΰΈ£ΰΈ’ΰΈΈΰΈ—ΰΈ˜ΰΉŒ จุΰΈ₯ΰΈ²ΰΈ™ΰΈ™ΰΈ—ΰΉŒ), and the newly appointed Deputy Prime Minister overseeing national security, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin (ΰΈͺΰΈ™ΰΈ˜ΰΈ΄ ΰΈšΰΈΈΰΈΰΈ’ΰΈ£ΰΈ±ΰΈ•ΰΈΰΈ₯ΰΈ΄ΰΈ™), pledged their oath before His Majesty Bhumibhol Adulyadej at the Chitralada Palace at around 16:30 hours yesterday(October 5th).

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Surayud expresses no concern over Squadron Leader Prasong Soonsiri (ΰΈ›ΰΈ£ΰΈ°ΰΈͺΰΈ‡ΰΈ„ΰΉŒ ΰΈͺΰΈΈΰΉˆΰΈ™ΰΈ¨ΰΈ΄ΰΈ£ΰΈ΄)’s plan to probe his possession of land in Nakhon Ratchasima province. Squadron Leader Prasong Soonsiri (ΰΈ›ΰΈ£ΰΈ°ΰΈͺΰΈ‡ΰΈ„ΰΉŒ ΰΈͺΰΈΈΰΉˆΰΈ™ΰΈ¨ΰΈ΄ΰΈ£ΰΈ΄) is currently the chairman of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA)'s ad-hoc committee on morality and ethics of politicians. Gen. Surayud reaffirms that he is ready to be scrutinized.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 October 2007

PM assigns DPM Sonthi to address security in southern Thailand

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont assigns Deputy Prime Minister Sonthi Boonyaratglin to oversee the duties in the southern Thailand.

Gen. Surayud says he had a meeting with Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas and the National Security Council (NSC) on the role of Gen. Sonthi. He says Gen. Sonthi will be responsible for administering the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) and addressing security problems in the deep South.

However, the Prime Minister says other Cabinet members overseeing economics and social issues are also involved in tackling southern issues.

Prime Minister Surayud says he cannot tell whether Gen. Sonthi will play politics in the future or not. In addition, he considers this matter as a private matter. However, Gen. Surayud reiterates that he will not re-enter politics following the upcoming general election, scheduled to be held on December 23rd this year.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 October 2007

PM told Interior officials to stay neutral during election

The Prime Minister and Interior Minister, Gen. Surayud Chulanont, traveled to the Ministry of Interior to perform his duty as the Interior Minister for the first time today (October 8th).

Following the Prime Minister’s arrival, he gave the work policy to the officials and personnel under the Interior Ministry and told them to stay neutral during the general election. The Prime Minister is scheduled to hold a press conference at 14:00 hours today.

In the meantime, the Deputy Prime Minister and former Council for National Security (CNS), Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin, traveled to the Government House this morning to work as the Deputy Prime Minister for the first time. He said he is excited about his new post, but he has not had a discussion with Prime Minister Surayud yet.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 October 2007

DPM Sonthi in talks with independent organizations to build mutual understanding

The Deputy Prime Minister, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin (ΰΈͺΰΈ™ΰΈ˜ΰΈ΄ ΰΈšΰΈΈΰΈΰΈ’ΰΈ£ΰΈ±ΰΈ•ΰΈΰΈ₯ΰΈ΄ΰΈ™), says he is gradually developing a better understanding with independent organizations formed by the Council for National Security (CNS).

Gen. Sonthi says he had discussed with a few agencies under the CNS already. He says they have been established to resolve conflicts between the interim government and other independent working bodies, particularly the National Legislative Assembly (NLA).

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 October 2007