Motorbike Taxi Drivers

actiondell4

After spending a few months in Pattaya recently,this being my 13th visit,i found among the most irritating business people to use are the motorbike taxi drivers.

They would sit/sleep on a rank,and when i went over to ask the fare from the beach to the day/night they would tell me some exhorbiant fare so i had to start haggling etc so in the end i just got a baht bus.

i was quite willing to pay from walking street to day/night 20 baht but they want anything from 30 to 60baht.

Then once im walking thru day night,it was hot so i asked the sleeping taxi driver and the 2 others playing chess how much to friendship,they say 40 baht,i said its only around the corner,so i thought i would walk it,on the way back the same motobike taxi drivers are still there and start clapping there hands and start telling me "ok 30 baht,but i told them i have already walked there and back.

Another farang told me not to ask the fare before riding on them so when we got from pattaya beach to jomtien the motobike taxi driver tells me 80 baht please.

i said,wait,yesterday it was only 50 baht,he says no no its 80 baht.

Then he starts telling me he is a policeman and has a volunteer badge he shows me., and has some sort of radio scanner i can hear people talking on,so i give him 80 baht.

Catching another taxi big c ,i wanted to go to day night,the motobike taxi driver starts heading up somewhere else,when i ask him where he is going he says pattaya tai,i told him no pattaya day night,he then gets angry and turns the motobike around and nearly collides with a large young farang guy who is driving a another bike.

At the next intersection he purposelly bumps the farangs bike hitting the farangs leg,i say sorry to the young farang guy,large guy with tatts and bald,and the taxi driver obviously angry at making a mistake going to pattaya tai says something to him,he then stops the bike abruptly and i grab him around the waist to get my balance and he grabs my hands off so i nearly end up falling off the bike,so i decide to end it here,he starts telling me the charge is double because its my mistake,meanwhile the young farang guy is behind us ,and bips his horn and i think purposelly bumps back into the taxi drivers bike,the taxi driver starts yelling at the farang who still sits on his bike,then another motobike taxi driver stops and they both seem to challenge the farang and the thai bloke gets into a muay thai boxing stance and the next thing the farang gets off the bike and punches him in the mouth knocking the thai down.

The other motobike cab driver rides off and the farang stays there,then i decide to do the bolt so i pissed off around the corner.

These motobike taxis have a very bad image for pattaya even though i did meet a nice lady one who told me they make so much money they dont need farang customers.

She was very nice and i would use her all the time if i could.

In front of Royal Garden, there's no less than 10 baht buses at night sitting idle waiting to be hired.

I tried negotiating 150 baht return to Buddha Hill and was told to ###### off.

I pointed out the drivers sit there for hours doing nothing and how much more did he expect to get off another customer for a short trip?? 150 is better than 0.

I was told to ###### off again.

In front of Royal Garden, there's no less than 10 baht buses at night sitting idle waiting to be hired.

I pointed out the drivers sit there for hours doing nothing and how much more did he expect to get off another customer for a short trip?? 150 is better than 0.

If the motorbike or baht buses try to overcharge me I tell them to ###### off loudly.

The problem is that wherever Thais make money from tourists they get lazy and complacent because it's such easy money - besides Pattaya - just see the attitude of market traders and tuk-tuk drivers in Khao San Road and Phuket - bloody minded. I avoid them at all costs (after telling thjem to ###### off)(loudly).

It is true that they have been fed too much and are now so fat that a regular meal is insufficient and they wait for the fatted cow to come along once in a while.

However, should someone else wish to work alongside them, servicing the normal fares, then they get agressive because they believe the normal people will be forced to pay the fattened cow afre if there is no other service.

They are vultures and I detest many of them. I detest 99.99999% of all baht bus drivers but perhaps only 99.5% of motorbike taxis.

You wan't us to think.

a baht bus driver told you to <deleted> off for 150 baht to buda hill.

Sorry BS mate.

No, sorry maybe your right he did.

Think he must have thought, you were a complete <deleted>. :o

you should try and brush up on your negotiation skills.

Have a nice day. :D

Sounds like your reply was written by a taxi driver with a grade 5 education. Cheers.

If a baht bus driver posted a big sign with set and fair fares for common routes around town, would he be dead meat? I think so. Damnable mafia!

There's already a sign posted on the driver's rear window mentioning the fare scale (5, 10, 20 baht). It is only in Thai text (as Pattaya is absolutely NOT a tourist destination, this is perfectly fine).

My strategy for the last few years is to press the bell after my destination as the buses can't reverse into traffic to chase you. I pay always 10 baht and walk back to my destination.

I never had any problems with motorcycle taxis, whatever time of the day. I neither had major problems with Baht Bus Drivers.

I think, it not worth to discuss of the ride back home, which is less than than the price of the last beer. Easy.

After hiring motorcycles from the same place for some time, the guys know you and are more than pleased to take you anywhere. Baht Busses are a bit different, but negotiating with a smile on your face usually is successful.

Just my thoughts...

Moo9

I had nothing but a very good experience from the last time I got a motorbike Taxi which was the only one I have got in the last year... Me and a friend went from X-zyte to Slim, on motorbike Taxi, and he gave us a price of 80 baht each.. We were in a hurry and weren't in the mood for negotiating so we just took it... When we got to Slim, it should have been 160 baht for 2 of us, We both had 100 baht notes... He took a 100 , refused the other and said never mind about the other 60 baht and he was really nice about it....

One wet day I was told that the fares were double when it was raining and the guy wanted 200 baht to take me from Tesco on Pattaya Nua to Pattaya Tai. I was so angry that I walked. On a point of principle when in company we take two bikes rather than squeezing on to one since the fare would be the same.

One wet day I was told that the fares were double when it was raining and the guy wanted 200 baht to take me from Tesco on Pattaya Nua to Pattaya Tai. I was so angry that I walked. On a point of principle when in company we take two bikes rather than squeezing on to one since the fare would be the same.

You think so.!!!!!!

Would be the same, thats because you never tried it.

thats 200 baht each mate.

If you're in Pattaya it's better to get along with the locals, hurling abuse at a guy that works as a motorcycle taxi driver cos YOU think he's charging you 10 baht too much will get you absolutely nowhere.

Many Farang think that Thai people are lower than them, look at the original poster who seemed shocked that a taxi driver was asleep, or even worse, playing chess at the taxi rank! My god, such behaviour should never be allowed......

Does he expect motorcycle taxi drivers to stand to attention and salute him as he walks by and kiss his feet if he waves a 20 Baht note in their face?

If you don't wanna pay the Fare, walk, just like they would, or buy a motorcycle just like they did.

Never have any problems with the Baht buses either for a hop on/off

or a private deal.

Cannot understand why anyone would ever choose to ride on

a motorbike taxi. Is this some sort of reverse snobbery thing ?

Or is it because you can get in close and personal with the rider.

Naka.

After spending a few months in Pattaya recently,this being my 13th visit

Yeah, I bet you sit at home in Sunny England wondering if you should return for your 14th visit just cos of those chess playing taxi drivers.

Why 13 times to Pattaya? Ask yourself that. You're willing to travel thousands of miles to take advantage of financially vulnerable people, yet you feel aggrieved that a Thai person is willing to make a small profit out of you.

I bet you don't feel bad when you are getting a girl/boy for the price of 2 packets of cigarettes in your own country!

Yeah yeah, I know, you come to Pattaya for the temples and the crystal clear waters, lack of pollution and laid back manner.

Bleedin' parasites. You should be charged 500 Baht a trip, or walk!

After spending a few months in Pattaya recently,this being my 13th visit

Yeah, I bet you sit at home in Sunny England wondering if you should return for your 14th visit just cos of those chess playing taxi drivers.

Why 13 times to Pattaya? Ask yourself that. You're willing to travel thousands of miles to take advantage of financially vulnerable people, yet you feel aggrieved that a Thai person is willing to make a small profit out of you.

I bet you don't feel bad when you are getting a girl/boy for the price of 2 packets of cigarettes in your own country!

Yeah yeah, I know, you come to Pattaya for the temples and the crystal clear waters, lack of pollution and laid back manner.

Bleedin' parasites. You should be charged 500 Baht a trip, or walk!

Oooh ! Hungover are we ? :o

Naka.

On relatively short journey's, say from Walking St to Soi 7, i just get on a bike and try to throw a little Thai in, like "soi jet khrap".and when i get off, give him/her 40 baht. Never had a problem yet.

I'm right with you on this. 40 baht ($1.25 US) is a good price to get from point A to point B.

If it's further, they might quote me 50 or 60 baht, of which I still don't have a problem.

I don't care what they charge Thai women. Most Thai women are poor and have to sleep with filthy, smelly, sweaty, disgusting animals to get some cashflow.

Anyway, sometimes I even throw a little tip their way. Nice to have these guys on your side, not against, in case of an altercation.

On relatively short journey's, say from Walking St to Soi 7, i just get on a bike and try to throw a little Thai in, like "soi jet khrap".and when i get off, give him/her 40 baht. Never had a problem yet.

I'm right with you on this. 40 baht ($1.25 US) is a good price to get from point A to point B.

If it's further, they might quote me 50 or 60 baht, of which I still don't have a problem.

I don't care what they charge Thai women. Most Thai women are poor and have to sleep with filthy, smelly, sweaty, disgusting animals to get some cashflow.

Anyway, sometimes I even throw a little tip their way. Nice to have these guys on your side, not against, in case of an altercation.

Please don't talk about the police like that. its very rude. :o

My wife and I developed a good relationship with a moto taxi at the end of our soi in BKK and think nothing of giving him 5,000 baht and valuable documents and have him cross town to pay bills for us. I suspect most of people's problems with moto drivers stems from a low ability to speak the Thai language.