Import A Vehicle

Amagnon

Hi, Id like to import a car to Thailand - this is an expensive and old car, with a very large engine.

I have read the difficulties involved fairly well, as seen elsewhere and also posted on this site.

Does anyone know which diplomatic officials can legally import tax free?

Which land borders can issue a 3 month renewable permit? I know only Malaysia, Id rather not travel that far every 6 months - plus a pain to import to Malaysia I believe.

What about importing as parts and assembling -any legal metods? Lead time isnt much issue, I can wait if I could import parts over a period of time and asemble the vehicle here.

What about registering a vehicle, is it neccessary to have assistance regarding this issue?

Anyone know any legal contacts who might have alternative methods?

Any ideas Ill listen to - doesnt matter how radical.

Edited by Amagnon

Hi, Your first words to describe your car " VERY EXPENSIVE " should stop you from doing it if yuo have any sense. The fact that it is an expensive car will just have the boys from customs rubbing their hands in gleefull anticipation. Trying to import an ordinary cheap car is costly and time consuming so for me your best option is to sell it where it is and buy an equally expensive one thats already registerd here. Good luck anyway. By the way what make is it? :o

Hi, Id like to import a car to Thailand - this is an expensive and old car, with a very large engine.

Take it apart and have it shipped in piece by piece, hope that passes muster, then have it re-assembled here. But then you'll probably be facing the axe and confiscation anyway trying to get it legally registered.

Hmm, sounds like selling it and buying a condo in sinking Bangkok is probably a safer idea after all

Dr. B

I have read the difficulties involved fairly well, as seen elsewhere and also posted on this site.

Which land borders can issue a 3 month renewable permit? I know only Malaysia, Id rather not travel that far every 6 months - plus a pain to import to Malaysia I believe.

What about importing as parts and assembling -any legal metods? Lead time isnt much issue, I can wait if I could import parts over a period of time and asemble the vehicle here.

What about registering a vehicle, is it neccessary to have assistance regarding this issue?

This is not a radical idea. It's straight forward and will enlighten you beyond what is posted here. Take an afternoon and visit the Ministry of Commerce in Bangkok. Tell them what you would like to do, and if you qualify, they will tell you what you must do. If you're living in Thailand permanently, i.e. retired, married to a Thai and residing here or working with a WP for a legitimate company, and not on contract, you may qualify. If you get a letter of permission from the MOC you can then go to a freight forwarding company who when then go to Customs and explain the situation. Once all is agreed to by all concerned, you can ship the vehicle. It would seem for you money is no object but it would be wise to know how much Customs Duty, excise tax and VAT you will have to pay. Customs will most likely place their own value on your vehicle but that depends on how well the forwarding agent knows his Customs contacts. My bike sat in Khlong Toey Port for nine months but I did get it. Good luck.

Edited by Sojourner

if you are willing all means, And IF YOU HAVE MEANS :o .. Consider 2 options: well 3: Soujourner advice sounds good,

if you want to save $$ than concider qualifying for 'Malaysia my second home' programm, which'll entitle you to ship in one car that YOU've used yourself in your country FOC :D , just get Malaysian number plates,road tax & off you go (btw, you can also do "visa runs" for your car to Laos,or Koh Kong(Trat)Cambodia.. Another option is to visit customs dept in Phnom Pehn, & have a chat with them, they do want your $$, but the level of greed may be somewhat lower, remember

that both of the latter options will make your car a 'permanent tourist' in Thailand, unless you'll discover, there'smore to SEAsia, than Thailand ..

Btw. Surely everybody would appreciate field report, after whatever you'll deside to do .. Which'll either shame the naysayers, or make'em giggle

I would rather be diagnosed with aids than attempt to import a car to thailand !,.they may invent a cure for aids, they will never cure the corruption or illness you will get from dealing with customs here!

Okay, obviously the search button is not working.

Just as a rule of thumb. Figure around 300% tax on the current new retail value of a similar model. If they no longer make that model, you can use $40,000 for a nice round figure. That makes the tax around $120,000. Got a spare 1.2 to gamble with and a year or two of time to waste after you fork it over in the low probability that you will ever see that vehicle legally registered in your name in Thailand?

I didnt think so. Just say no.

PS, did you note the Ferrari that was crushed at Customs today?

There is enough trouble in Thailand doing terrifically complex tasks like getting a landline hooked up or internet to work faster than 3K, dont take on this most onerous of all tasks here unless you have so much money and time to burn that nothing else can occupy you.

As rule of thumb thailand dosent want anything imported, (like most things in thailand its a one way ticket "out " ) that is from computers to cars/parts,.everything i have imported has ended up costing me more than if purchased here,.for an example,i imported a set of wheels from the states, prior to import i was quoted 15 per cent tax, ok, so i bring them in, taxes paid ? 14000 baht,( value of wheels $400 ) ! no negotiation, and this is 100 per cent true, the DHL woman said to me " why would you want to import wheels to thailand, there are plenty here " !