Need Advice

My husband is a commercial electrician (union member) with over 15 years experience- does anyone know about this specific job market in Thailand? What are the chances of him getting employment? Is there a union? can anyone recommend employment websites? thank you in advance for your help!!

My husband is a commercial electrician (union member) with over 15 years experience- does anyone know about this specific job market in Thailand? What are the chances of him getting employment? Is there a union? can anyone recommend employment websites? thank you in advance for your help!!

0% Chance for any union member to get a job in T.

Being a little bit more of an optimist than most, I'd rate his chances of finding work as a sole trader, or even employed as an electrician by a company, a little higher than zero, but not much.

As suggested above he may need a career change.

Other than that, the only constructive thing I could think of: Instead of being a sole trader or employee doing the labour work, try and get or create something in a managerial capacity. That might be able to draw on his electrician skills and knowldege. Again may be difficult to find employment, but perhaps creating a business enterprise where he is managing other local people might be an option. eg agency/company managing a pool of local Thai people, ensuring that they provide a service which meets certain standards/expectations/qualities, providing international best practices, tweaked for Thailand. Think this may provide a better chance of success, but really not sure how much. Won't be easy, and would require quite a bit of business set up.

To draw comparisons, no foreigners are likely to want to be say cleaners, maids, security guards, given the wide availabilty of locals to do this. On the other hand there are companies like PCS (Property Care Services) Thailand, which provide these services to people. PCS incidentally was bought out by a UK company (OCS?), but must have started out small by themselves somehwere along the line. They then branch out into other areas, eg electronice security. Not sure the scope for this type of idea in electricians, plumbers etc, but might be possible. Less volume tho'. eg assuming you supplied handymen/electricians to apartment blocks, businesses, offices the number needed would be much lower.

Edited by fletchthai68

Thank you for all the replies- Should we consider another country in southeast asia where employment opportunities would be better? Any suggestions on an alternative?

I've met many western electricians in Hong Kong but they tend to be working on contract for big projects such as the airport or disneyland.

do you?

Yes I do, otherwise I wouldn't have posted. See my first post above, just before you added your irrelevance.

you tink he want to work for thai wagees?

If you mean "think", then I really don't know - she is not asking about that is she ? She is now asking about what other countries would have have better employment opportunites. Or can't you read ?

I was saying, before I got cut off..

I think teaching electrician tranees in a tech college could be an option.

There are plenty of good Thai electricians, but there need to be more - an experienced electrician passing experience and skills to Thai tranees could be a good angle.

I'd love it to work out for you that way - You'd get your new life in Thailand and the rest of us would look forward to Farang Sparkies who delight in running down Thais (Many who do a great job) being retired.

I've heard that foreigners can get jobs as supervisors easily in the construction business, but never seen any proof.

Foreigners in Thailand would feel a LOT safer knowing that a farang had at least overlooked the building process I can imagine.

Anyone know if this is true or not?

I've heard that foreigners can get jobs as supervisors easily in the construction business, but never seen any proof.

Foreigners in Thailand would feel a LOT safer knowing that a farang had at least overlooked the building process I can imagine.

not really, more often than not the farang supervisor will be stuck in the office or selling to new clients.

not really, more often than not the farang supervisor will be stuck in the office or selling to new clients.

I know zip about being a Sparks in Thailand - but I would guess you would never be able / want to compete with a local wages wise, even if your work was better.............which would I think force you higher up the food chain into a managerial / supervisor / quality control (innovation?)..........or ownership role.

Good quality tradesmen outta work in farangland? methinks not. In times of need they can sometimes even throw in reliable :o

seems most responses are not nswering op question.....lol. cant u guys reed?

that guy must be fuming.........lol.

i wonder wot its like having a wife who would move to los for her husband with the accompanying low wages and ample nightlife.

Edited by blizzard

seems most responses are not nswering op question.....lol. cant u guys reed?

On the contrary, most posts are answering the OP's questions and seem to be helpful. You are the only one who can't read (or write for that matter).

that guy must be fuming.........lol.

Oh yes, absolutely fuming here.

i wonder wot its like having a wife who would move to los for her husband with the accompanying low wages and ample nightlife.

It's fascinating to know what you are wondering......why don't you send her a PM and ask, then keep the answer, if you get one, to yourself.

Let's stop this petty bickering now. I'll let you get the last word in if you want it..........

who is bickering.

you do have a fascination (strange as it is ) with me.

you not helping op at all...........lol.

my reeding comprhension skills must be lacking, i dont see mut helpful advice. we all saying its a fooleesh idea.

if the lady wants to share her thoyght process im sure she will. no need for privates,

Edited by blizzard

I wonder if he would be happy having to re train to meet the local standards :o ?

Picture of a new installation from a local company that we had to interface with.

Looks pretty good for Thailand...

At least its proper connecting blocks and not just black sticky tape.

You beat me to it. :D Our house had no junction boxes or connectors. Just big balls of tape and not always even electrical tape. :D

To get back on topic, when I was still working here I hired a US electrician to work in the factory. He was actually more of an electronics guy. I wanted old machines converted to programmable controllers and wasn't able to explain to the Thai electricians what I wanted the controllers to do.

Edited by Gary A

Employment, no. But there is the possibility of starting an electrical contracting company hiring only Thai nationals and training them to international standards, and then personally supervising every installation for a long, long time to be sure they were adhering to those standards on every job.

I used to have contact with a construction company here that employed over 150 western foreigners.

Times have changed and while most larger construction companies do have foreigners working for them its not in the numbers it used to be.

There used to be some foreign sparkys out there taking care of construction equipment but not general installations.

I believe the Japanese construction companies still employ Japanese nationals in the same numbers.

GH good idea.

Cheers

Thank you for all of your responses. It seems that his options might be limited to teaching or starting a company. Someone did mention the possibility of obtaining a supervisory position- he does have experience as a foreman on major commercial projects. He also has gained extensive experience in marine electronics and underwater demolition/ projects during his 8 years in the Navy. I don't know if this would open other doors/ opportunities?

I was saying, before I got cut off..

I think teaching electrician tranees in a tech college could be an option.

There are plenty of good Thai electricians, but there need to be more - an experienced electrician passing experience and skills to Thai tranees could be a good angle.

I'd love it to work out for you that way - You'd get your new life in Thailand and the rest of us would look forward to Farang Sparkies who delight in running down Thais (Many who do a great job) being retired.

Good thoughts but how many Thai electricians with the English skills at the level they need to be taught by a native English speaker?

Would a Frenchman come to the local tech college and teach English sparkies in French?

Its not like teaching at say Uni level.

If the lecturer was fluent in thai then yes.