Flight Bkk To Hat Yai Then Overland To Penang & Back

Hi, I have done quite a few visa runs to Penang and usually do it by flying direct with Air delaysia but when i checked their prices this time i was not willing to pay almost 8000b that they were asking for it at the time so instead I have booked a flight to Hat Yai (2700b) and intend going overland to Penang and then back. I have done the overland thing before but it was years back and its all a bit hazy now. I fly into Hat Yai on the Tuesday morning at around 0930 and then want to get to Penang as easily but inexpensively as possible. I dont mind payin extra if it means safer or more comfortable though. I have given myself an extra day in Penang to do the Visa stuff just incase and then my return day is Friday for flight at just after 1700 from Hat Yai. I am just tryin to find out if anyone has done anything like this of late and can save me time/hassle/cash with some info etc. Anyway, cheers if you can. Regards

Not sure this post will be much help to you.

The last time I flew into Hat Yai was 5 years ago, I then went to Sungai Kolok on the way through to Kota Bharu. I remember the Airport is some way from Hat Yai town, but I was able to book a minibus. I have done the journey to/from Hat Yai to Penang a few times and it took over three hours. Note that Malaysian time is 1 hour ahead so you will probably arrive in Penang at least +4 Hours later on the clock. You need to file your visa application in the morning, so you must be at the Consulate sometime before applications close at 12:00. So it looks like you will not be able to apply the same day you arrive.

You can collect your visa after 14:00 on the next working day following your application, but often there is often quite a queue there, so it is better to arrive after 14:30. Not that you need to, but it wouldn't be possible to then get back to Hat Yai Airport in time for a 17:00 flight that same day. Think there is a minibus that goes to Had Yai in the morning, but I have never tried it. Note that with the time diiference you will arrive in Had Yai at about +2 hours on the clock, the minibus can drop you at the airport.

From HDY arrivals, go outside, ignore the taxi touts and look across the parking lot out to the main road (via the parking lot's exit street which runs perpendicular) and you will see a blue waiting songtaeo just outside the lot. Walk across the lot to this main road. He will wait until the back is full before he leaves for town (but make a bee-line for it anyway). Cost is only 20B for the 10 min. ride. It drops you off at the main taxi stand. From there you can take a short taxi ride (20B) to Cathay Guesthouse (rooms from 160B) and book an air-con minivan to Georgetown from the agents on the ground floor at the entrance. Cost is 260B. Departure times: 9:30am, 12:30pm, 3:30pm, and 4:30pm, everyday (last one is 280B for some reason). Van starts loading a half hour before departure so get there early for a good seat.

Hi, I have done quite a few visa runs to Penang and usually do it by flying direct with Air delaysia but when i checked their prices this time i was not willing to pay almost 8000b that they were asking for it at the time so instead I have booked a flight to Hat Yai (2700b) and intend going overland to Penang and then back. I have done the overland thing before but it was years back and its all a bit hazy now. I fly into Hat Yai on the Tuesday morning at around 0930 and then want to get to Penang as easily but inexpensively as possible. I dont mind payin extra if it means safer or more comfortable though. I have given myself an extra day in Penang to do the Visa stuff just incase and then my return day is Friday for flight at just after 1700 from Hat Yai. I am just tryin to find out if anyone has done anything like this of late and can save me time/hassle/cash with some info etc. Anyway, cheers if you can. Regards

Just checked Air Asia website, about Bt 2,500 plus tax for a return. Where did you get 8,000 from ?

Naka.