New International Hit Radio Station Coming To Phuket

hm1973

Following on from the success of PCN FM 105 in Pattaya, we have decided to open a similar radio station in Phuket. Our music policy will be Commercial Classic Hits and the best of today's new music and the station will operate 24 hours a day. PCN FM 101 will hopefully offer Phuket residents both Foreign and Thai a new listening option and we hope it will follow on from the Success of PCN FM 105 in Pattaya.

For a sample of what is to come, please log on to www.pcnfm.com and check out our Pattaya station.

For any feedback or suggestions for the new station which will be on-air soon, please email us

Howard

PCN FM 105 - Pattaya

PCN FM 101 - Phuket

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well....hoo-bloody-ray for some decent music on the radio in Phuket! i, for one, am delighted to hear this.

just today i was talking to a friend about how terrible the radio in Phuket is, and how it needed a good kick up the bum.

the one request i have is that you dont have talkback radio. that drives me nuts. some decent UP TO DATE music (unlike 90.5) as well as some good rock and roll!

ooh...im so excited!

when you gonna start?

Thanks for the support!!!!

Not exactly sure of when we will start...we have to wait for a bit more official documentation first, but production is underway. There will be no DJ's and will follow on from our successful concept used in Pattaya. Please listen to our current Pattaya stream for a taster of what is to come!!!!

We will feature new music...some of which has yet to be released and some of the best music ever made..I hope you like it.

Howard

Our music policy will be Commercial Classic Hits and the best of today's new music

"Commercial Classic Hits"???? Oh no! Sounds to me like another excuse to play even more songs by the old dinosaurs like The Eagles, Brian Adams, Toto and all that horrible stuff from the mid seventies, not to mention all the dodgy eighties stuff as for "today's new music" I hope so, and can't wait to here something that I've never heard before.

Oh and please never play stuff like that dreadful song 'final countdown' by equally dreadful band called Europe. Seems to be a favorite throughout Thailand, included on every discount rock compilation album for some strange reason and even played at some local schools.

Good luck with the new station, much needed in Phuket.

also....i hope that there is not one Scorpions song in the whole collection!

Maybe the odd one or two!!!!

We use the latest computer software to ensure that you do not hear the same song over and over again which used to bug me when I listened to and worked for commercial radio in UK (which is where I come from). The music database we have already assembled for PCN FM 105 in Pattaya includes over 2,900 Hits from 60's right through to today. We will also broadcast in surround sound stereo to offer the best listening experience.

With any radio station, we don't expect everyone to enjoy EVERY song that is played on the station but the mix of music we are currently playing in Pattaya (a very demanding audience!!!!) has proved a success. We are not billing ourlseves as a "Ferrang" station only as an International Hits station. We have found in Pattaya that many Thai's are listening and enjoying music they have not heard before!!!!

To give you an idea of my experience in radio....I was a DJ on a FM station in my hometown in Essex, England for 7 years and I worked in Bangkok on a station for a year. Radio (and music) is my life and I never thought I would have an opportunity to open a radio station in Thailand, let alone 2. It is a dream come true for me and I am having a great time doing it. I hope the people of Phuket, will enjoy the station and if it brings a smile to your face (atleast once a day), then I have done my job!!!!!

Howard

oh howard, believe me when i tell you that you will be VERY welcome here on Phuket. we arent a bad bunch and will look after you, im sure!

For me personally, I won't be down there too much because of commitments in Pattaya, however I have a marketing team and a foreign spokesman for the station lined up. I will be contactable by email for requests and suggestions and other enquiries. I do have family friends in Phuket so maybe this a good excuse to take up their constant invitations to pay a visit. Heres a scoop for you......I have NEVER been to Phuket before!!!!!

oh howard, believe me when i tell you that you will be VERY welcome here on Phuket. we arent a bad bunch and will look after you, im sure!

For me personally, I won't be down there too much because of commitments in Pattaya, however I have a marketing team and a foreign spokesman for the station lined up. I will be contactable by email for requests and suggestions and other enquiries. I do have family friends in Phuket so maybe this a good excuse to take up their constant invitations to pay a visit. Heres a scoop for you......I have NEVER been to Phuket before!!!!!

Welcome indeed, but I don't think I would ever buy one CD, mp3 or whatever from the below playlist

10:38:19 (Local) George Michael - I Want Your Sex

Previous Tracks: 10:38:11 (Local) PCN FM 105 Live Playlist 29

10:35:12 (Local) More Music In Seconds From Now 3

10:29:36 (Local) Stevie Wonder - Happy Birthday

10:29:17 (Local) PCN FM 105 Live Playlist 71

10:25:38 (Local) DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Boom! Shake the room

10:25:29 (Local) PCN FM 105 Live Playlist 108

10:21:12 (Local) Toni Braxton - Un-Break My Heart

10:21:07 (Local) PCN FM 105 Live Playlist 95

10:17:33 (Local) Samantha Fox - Touch Me

10:15:02 (Local) More Music In Seconds From Now 2

No U2, REM, Kanye West, Snow Patrol, Gorillaz, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay to be seen.  Hopefully I just hit a rough patch of pop in the above lineup. Any hip hip, house or anything slightly alternative in the plans?

Uggggh! that playlist just makes me want to jump in a deep well and never have to hear it again. Please don't forget the likes of Celine D**n and of course Whitney. Please never pollute the airwaves with stuff that all the other dodgy stations like 90.5 play with no consideration for the punters. Thank you Donna for bringing that horrible german band to attention. I had forgotton about them.

Welcome indeed, but I don't think I would ever buy one CD, mp3 or whatever from the below playlist

No U2, REM, Kanye West, Snow Patrol, Gorillaz, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay to be seen. Hopefully I just hit a rough patch of pop in the above lineup. Any hip hip, house or anything slightly alternative in the plans?

i'd listen to some of that, and at least it's better than "all elevator all the time music" on 90.5

Listening to your stream now and it's nice to have some upbeat music.

i'd also like to throw out there that it would be nice to have some happy beach music too

Bob Marley, jack Johnson , beach boys, Dave Matthews band John butler Trio and the like

Edited by ozymandious

No U2, REM, Kanye West, Snow Patrol, Gorillaz, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay to be seen. Hopefully I just hit a rough patch of pop in the above lineup. Any hip hip, house or anything slightly alternative in the plans?

sounds like a good play list to me . :o

No U2, REM, Kanye West, Snow Patrol, Gorillaz, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay to be seen.  Hopefully I just hit a rough patch of pop in the above lineup. Any hip hip, house or anything slightly alternative in the plans?

You have sampled 20 minutes of music from 24 hours!!!!!

U2, REM, Kanye West, Snow Patrol, Gorillaz, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay, Bob Marley, jack Johnson , beach boys. They are all on the playlist. Please remember its a 24 hour station and there are 2,900 hits to get through on a rotational basis. The station will remain 99% commercial, with the odd "alternative" song in the playlist. However in my experience, alternative music and themed shows can affect your listerner figures.

U2, REM, Kanye West, Snow Patrol, Gorillaz, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay, Bob Marley, jack Johnson , beach boys. They are all on the playlist. Please remember its a 24 hour station and there are 2,900 hits to get through on a rotational basis. The station will remain 99% commercial, with the odd "alternative" song in the playlist. However in my experience, alternative music and themed shows can affect your listerner figures.

Very true! playing the commercial stuff already mentioned increases your listener figures by attracting the moron element who know very little about music and will always listen to dodgy radio stations and be very happy. If you are trying to do something new and/or different, why not do it instead of playing the same old stuff that people can by in any Big C or Tesco discount compilation section.

Quality will always win in the end, There is no future in quantity.

Beach Boys? well that is just typical!

Edited by BillStickers

Very true! playing the commercial stuff already mentioned increases your listener figures by attracting the moron element who know very little about music and will always listen to dodgy radio stations and be very happy. If you are trying to do something new and/or different, why not do it instead of playing the same old stuff that people can by in any Big C or Tesco discount compilation section.

Quality will always win in the end, There is no future in quantity.

Beach Boys? well that is just typical!

I can assure you that the mix of music that we will play will be unique and something Phuket has not had as yet. Just wait and see.............

i think that before everyone jumps on and criticizes the small selection that was posted earlier, we should be bloody grateful that we will have another choice!

the man is trying to do us a favour here and cops criticism for it.

what was that saying about gifts....horses....?

It comes to something when the only decent music you hear is AC/DC's Hells Bells being belted out by Rock City's mobile sandwich boards. Actually, I did hear Bone Machine by Pixies blaring out down Soi Eric one night, which restored my faith in music, until the opening bars of Smoke on the Water brought me shuddering back home to earth.

Farang music in Thailand is shocking.

We will also broadcast in surround sound stereo to offer the best listening experience.

Curious.. How is that possible and what surround formats can you use ?? DPL ??

I use a piece of software which compresses and processes the stereo output of the broadcasting software and widens the stereo field to create the surround sound effect. It even works on the Internet stream as well. I don't know exactly how it works but it does and I think sounds pretty good. As far as I know, no other station in Thailand (except for PCN FM 105 in Pattaya!!!!) broadcasts in this format.

It comes to something when the only decent music you hear is AC/DC's Hells Bells being belted out by Rock City's mobile sandwich boards. Actually, I did hear Bone Machine by Pixies blaring out down Soi Eric one night, which restored my faith in music, until the opening bars of Smoke on the Water brought me shuddering back home to earth.

Hardly shocking, I would say more like abysmal. Talking of that DP song, I recently witnessed a man trying out a guitar in Tesco and guess what tune he was treating the poor unsuspecting public to.

Hardly shocking, I would say more like abysmal. Talking of that DP song, I recently witnessed a man trying out a guitar in Tesco and guess what tune he was treating the poor unsuspecting public to.

Tom Jones - Sex Bomb

Hi Howard - I used to listen to you on Saturday and Sunday evenings on FM 107 Metropolis. What happened to that great staion and the way it's presenters were treated was terrible.

Good luck with both these stations (I listen to PCN 105 on-line).

I hope one day these projects can evolve into a 24 hour live music station with live DJs - streaming on the internet and broadcasting on FM from BKK.

Edited by bulmercke

Hi Howard - I used to listen to you on Saturday and Sunday evenings on FM 107 Metropolis. What happened to that great staion and the way it's presenters were treated was terrible.

I hope one day these projects can evolve into a 24 hour live music station with live DJs - streaming on the internet and broadcasting on FM from BKK.

It's hardly suprising that that load of garbage was closed down and we certainly don't need any more of it being dug up like a stinking corpse. If anyone doesn't know take a look at this little lot still lurking around at MCOT's site:

http://radio.mcot.net/fm107/ And this from 2004? (I'm sure the date must be wrong! looks more like 1974) http://www.pbase.com/mindeye/107

The bad selection of music available here can only be credited to the people that bring it with them. Please either leave it in your own country or if you must listen to it, do so in your own home with all doors and windows firmly shut.

Edited by BillStickers

This is awesome. After more than 12 years in Phuket with nothing even close to be called a radio station, this is more than welcome.

Funny thing though, it seems like we will have no less than 3 new English speaking/programming radio stations very soon. I guess it's due to the recent change in the constitution that eases up the use of the frequencies.

One question remains, where will you transmit from? Khao Rang in Phuket City? I assume you are only allowed to broadcast within a 30 km radius?

(For those of you that complain about the music before they even started broadcasting, MP3-players are on sale at Big C). :o

It's hardly suprising that that load of garbage was closed down and we certainly don't need any more of it being dug up like a stinking corpse. If anyone doesn't know take a look at this little lot still lurking around at MCOT's site:

http://radio.mcot.net/fm107/ And this from 2004? (I'm sure the date must be wrong! looks more like 1974) http://www.pbase.com/mindeye/107

The bad selection of music available here can only be credited to the people that bring it with them. Please either leave it in your own country or if you must listen to it, do so in your own home with all doors and windows firmly shut.

Bulmercke,

Thanks for the memory recall!!!!!

I enjoyed working at Metropolis, however I have to partly agree with Mr. Stickers, the music policy was wrong, in my opinion. I have actually based the music policy of PCN FM partly on Metropolis and the rest of it is what think would have made Metropolis a fantastic station. Some of the "DJ's" on the station were certainly "interesting" but.....the station was very popular with both Thais and the expat community of Bangkok. The reason it was changed to a CHR Thai language station was because of a crap deal MCOT did with some record companies who now basically control the station. MET 107 now basically plays EVERYTHING and for me it brings me to tears every time I happen to be in Bangkok and listen to it. Oh well........memories!!!!!!

Back to PCN FM.....I would love to eventually broadcast in Bangkok, but the FM Frequency restrictions are huge and most are owned by the Thai Government who charge huge rental fees. Virgin were paying up to 3 Million Baht a Month for their English station 105FM which has now closed.

In my opinion Bangkok is crying out for a Classic Hits and new music format radio station.....i am very surprised no one has opened one yet....they may be waiting for the aftermath of the next General Election.

Mr. Stickers....I have just checked the music database and Tom Jones - Sex Bomb IS THERE!!!!! Do you want me to take it out? :o