Mozilla Leak And Alert

francois

hi'

I just received an alert for a leak or failure for mozilla and thunderbird ...

I'll tell you more soon ... time to translate the alert (I received it in french) ...

you can update them in a new version with the correctiv patch included

valid for : Mozilla 1.7.1, Firefox 0.9.2 et Thunderbird 0.7.2.

or visit this : mozilla infos

cheers

francois

hi'

here is the translation of the alert I received yesterday :

Victim of a fault of security on Windows Mozilla

A fault of security was discovered in the Windows version of the internet suite Open Source Mozilla. The updates of the software are already available.

ADVERTISEMENT

Internet Explorer, the Web browser of Microsoft, obviously has no monopoly of the faults of security. Proof is the discovery of a vulnerability in the Windows version of the internet suite Open Source Mozilla, nevertheless many a time praised for it's respect for the standards of Web and its high security level. The browser Firefox as well as the customer of e-mails and newsgroups Thunderbird are also concerned by this breach, which would allow a malintentionned user to take the remote control of the applications installed on the machine. A contrario, the Mac versions and Linux of these software does not present vulnerability.

The developers of Mozilla did not delay reacting: two solutions are already proposed to the users of Windows to seal this fault. The simplest consists in downloading and in running a corrective which will take care to deactivate the function incriminated in all the concerned software. Second option: install Mozilla 1.7.1, Firefox 0.9.2 and Thunderbird 0.7.2, the new versions of these applications including the update of security - but available only in English for the moment

Automatic announcement of the updates

This alert of security is the occasion for the foundation Mozilla to announce the next implementation of a system of automatic announcement of the updates, in the style of the Windows service Update of Microsoft. Besides, the thurifiers of the free software suite were pleased to underline the quickness with which the correctives of this fault were proposed, while Microsoft sometimes allowed to pass long months before reacting to a vulnerability of his browser (see publishing) of February 11th, 2004).

translation made with Prompt Translator (one of the best french-english translator)

cheers

francois