Diving Question

Hello im new here, I am looking for a diving instructors job,im a BSAC sports diver at the moment but would crossover to PADI or SAA and do the required training. Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Derek (in England)

Derek, Hi. the problem you have is that there are lots of instructors here already looking for work. I would imagine it would be difficult to get work especially when you are in the UK. There isn't a great deal of call for BSAC here either so a crossover would be the best thing to do. If I was you I would get myself a 1year non immigrant O visa from the Thai embasy in Hull and come over and do your crossover. Do some diving here and put yourself about the dive shops. Have yourself a long holiday and see if you like it. You might miss the freezing cold murky waters ha ha ha.Have a think also where you want to base yourself as well. If you need anymore help drop me a PM. Good hunting :o

Derek, Hi. the problem you have is that there are lots of instructors here already looking for work. I would imagine it would be difficult to get work especially when you are in the UK. There isn't a great deal of call for BSAC here either so a crossover would be the best thing to do. If I was you I would get myself a 1year non immigrant O visa from the Thai embasy in Hull and come over and do your crossover. Do some diving here and put yourself about the dive shops. Have yourself a long holiday and see if you like it. You might miss the freezing cold murky waters ha ha ha.Have a think also where you want to base yourself as well. If you need anymore help drop me a PM. Good hunting :D

H20Dunc would be about right...

I am only a rec diver, but my brother is an instructor...

It is very hard to get decent work as an instructor anywhere... most places you actually get paid to work in the shop, and the instructing is just a bit of cream on top... In Byron Bay (as an example) the dive shop I use has about 30 people working, of which only 4 are paid... the 3 skippers and the girl in the shop... the other 27 did it for free accommodation...

Not saying that you won't be able to find work, but I probably wouldn't think of it as much more than a semi-subsidised holiday... my brother still has to get a 'real job' for 6 month every 2 or 3 years to replenish is bank account...

Also, you will need to get up to speed with underwater photography/videography as that is where the shops try to make their money... selling video's of the ( esp :o Japanese) divers underwater to them for high prices at the end of the day...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Derek, Hi. the problem you have is that there are lots of instructors here already looking for work. I would imagine it would be difficult to get work especially when you are in the UK. There isn't a great deal of call for BSAC here either so a crossover would be the best thing to do. If I was you I would get myself a 1year non immigrant O visa from the Thai embasy in Hull and come over and do your crossover. Do some diving here and put yourself about the dive shops. Have yourself a long holiday and see if you like it. You might miss the freezing cold murky waters ha ha ha.Have a think also where you want to base yourself as well. If you need anymore help drop me a PM. Good hunting :D

H20Dunc would be about right...

I am only a rec diver, but my brother is an instructor...

It is very hard to get decent work as an instructor anywhere... most places you actually get paid to work in the shop, and the instructing is just a bit of cream on top... In Byron Bay (as an example) the dive shop I use has about 30 people working, of which only 4 are paid... the 3 skippers and the girl in the shop... the other 27 did it for free accommodation...

Not saying that you won't be able to find work, but I probably wouldn't think of it as much more than a semi-subsidised holiday... my brother still has to get a 'real job' for 6 month every 2 or 3 years to replenish is bank account...

Also, you will need to get up to speed with underwater photography/videography as that is where the shops try to make their money... selling video's of the ( esp :o Japanese) divers underwater to them for high prices at the end of the day...

Cheers,

Daewoo

also any languages you speak other than English will be a boon, throw a stick and you will hit a 100 english speaking instructors, but japanese / korean speaking instuctors who also can teach in English and you will get more opportunities and possibly a job!

Was ona trip to Similans with my nephew a few years back, we had a seedy couple who had a video cam, and took 90% of their videos of all the other divers on the trip........... figured out what they were up to, and every time they took video of me, I took a picture of them with my stills camera.

Sure enough, and they end of the trip they tried to flog me their video for a mere 4000 baht to me, offered them, my pictures and that give me 2000 on top. For some reason they did not like the deal.

did a dive at 17 meters with no O-rings for 60 mins or so........ but thats a story for another day !