Annual Trip - 10 Days In Bkk?

wamberal

My wife comes back to visit her family every year..they live about 1 hours drive south of BKK. I come every second year. We are arriving at the end of September. The deal is that she stays with me for a night and then goes to her family's house for a couple of nights, and so on.

I have lived in Thailand for a number of years, and there is nothing touristy I want to do. My current plan is to spend three or so nights at each of three hotels, say, the Pan Pacific, then the InterContinental, then the Oriental.

Does anybody have any bright ideas? Originally I thought I might go down to Hua Hin for the middle 4 days, but then it is too far for my wife to come over to stay...she doesn't drive herself, so her sister has to go there and back every time my wife comes back to see me.

wamberal, sounds something like I do:

We (Thai wife and I) come over the big pond together. We stay in a nice resort for a few days.( this time we go to Hau Hin) then we head to Chaing Rai. I stay a day of two with the in-laws, then leave my wife for a week with them so they can all bond. The in-laws and wife drop me off at the Chaing Rai airport and off I go to later meet my wife a week later in Bangkok for the flight back home.

Last year I spend a week in Phuket, rented a motorcycle and rode all over the island, ate some great lunches. Yes, I even hit a bar or two, but I do not drink and love to go to bed early to raise early.

i cherish "my week" and really have a blast.

the hotels you are staying at would almost be enough to just relax and get messages and go for long swims. Read some books and soak up the sun. Enjoy.

Why don't you just stay with her family? I always spend a few weeks each year in Isaanville and love it.

The family house is a bit on the small size, and the village is tiny. There is nothing to do for a spoiled farang. We are thinking of building ourselves a little house and a lap pool which I can use for exercise. I need a bit of space. My wife has three younger sisters, all unmarried, and all they want to do is talk.

I guess the question of the day is why even bother coming every other year? I can't imagine not being able to endure 10 days with family once in two years.

Why not treat the family to a stay? You don't have to use 5 stars hotels to find a pool or gym. You would have your own room for privacy. Maybe rent a condo in Cha Am?