New Annex For Gecko Books Main Branch Open

Ulysses G.

Our new double-sized Annex is open today directly across the street from the Gecko Books Main Branch and original store.

We have a lot more books and a lot of different sections and types that we didn't have many of before, including a good sized Art section, First Edition Books section, Music section, Martial Arts section, Birds of Thailand and Southeast Asia, as well as lots more Non-fiction, History, Thailand, Asia, New Age, Biographies, Novels, etc.

Very few books are duplicated on both sides of the street other than some of the novels and more popular books, so, for example, most of the history in the Annex will probably be completely different from that in the original store and vise versa. We also have more bookshelves and lots more books and types of books coming, including a lot of serious non-fiction from London.

Please come by and check us out! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Thanks all.

We had a very good first day despite still being in low season, and we still have to finish filling the place with even more types and titles. :o

Our new bookshop on Loi Kroh road is called Night Bazaar Books, rather than another Gecko Books, and it is next to the Chiang Mai Saloon near Kom Pang Din road.

We have been closing early because of the small number of tourists around, but will start staying open later in October.

Our new double-sized Annex is open today directly across the street from the Gecko Books Main Branch and original store.

We have a lot more books and a lot of different sections and types that we didn't have many of before, including a good sized Art section, First Edition Books section, Music section, Martial Arts section, Birds of Thailand and Southeast Asia, as well as lots more Non-fiction, History, Thailand, Asia, New Age, Biographies, Novels, etc.

Very few books are duplicated on both sides of the street other than some of the novels and more popular books, so, for example, most of the history in the Annex will probably be completely different from that in the original store and vise versa. We also have more bookshelves and lots more books and types of books coming, including a lot of serious non-fiction from London.

Please come by and check us out! :o

When I was in primary school we studied about the great library of Alexandria, holding copies of all the great wisdom, poetry, and prose of the ages. Here's hoping our future generations study the great library of Gecko! :D

Well, a lot of the Thai University Professors and local authors hang out in the shop anyway.

Yesterday, one Thai Doctor who is a regular customer and who talks on the radio about politics and is quite famous came in and bought a bunch of stuff from ALL of my Thapae Gate branches and gave us his opinion on what is going on in Burma. Very different from the farang perspective, and quite interesting. He will talk about this on his show next week :o

one Thai Doctor gave us his opinion on what is going on in Burma. Very different from the farang perspective, and quite interesting.

And what did he say ?

Maybe you could let us know in one of the Burma related thread.

As far as I know, the Thai doctors i've worked with couldn't care less about what is going on outside Thailand. Some don't even care about what is happening outside their respective dpts. They gave up updating their knowledge/gathering facts the day they got their PhDs.

Anyway congratulations UG.

Edited by adjan jb

Thanks adjan.

He was not very complimentary towards the Thai Government or the Thai Buddhist Clergy for not being more supportive of the Burmese people's revolt. He said that they have all been bought off to keep their mouths shut and go along with way things are.

He also touched on some things that I would be afraid to go into here as they would break some important rules.

I don't want to print his name here, but if you want to listen to him on the radio - in THAI - just PM me and I will let you know.

Them too, and the young girls love to consult with Old Khun Snakehead on the one book that they will eventually purchase, however, I go into teacher mode and behave myself while they are around. The truth is that they are so sweet and nice that I am more concerned with helping them find the book that they want, than anything else. :o

Them too, and the young girls love to consult with Old Khun Snakehead on the one book that they will eventually purchase, however, I go into teacher mode and behave myself while they are around. The truth is that they are so sweet and nice that I am more concerned with helping them find the book that they want, than anything else. :D

UG, that brought a tear to my eyes. :o

Any reader that cruises the bookshops of Chiang Mai will buy what he wants regardless of where he finds it. The shop that does better than the others shows that more people are finding what they want at that particular place.

Err.. what time do the college girls turn up General?

Always willing to offer my vast literary experience to a worthy cause.

Arjarn sceadugenga.

Edited by sceadugenga

Maybe I'm getting old as well but I just love watching them.... just being happy I suppose. There's a lot of cr@p goes on here about Thailand being the land of smiles but I get smiled at a lot by young people who are just genuinely happy to see me.

Edited by sceadugenga

Is this shop East of Kamphaeng Din Road? North of South side of Loi Kroh?

Must be blind......

Thanks all.

We had a very good first day despite still being in low season, and we still have to finish filling the place with even more types and titles. :o

Our new bookshop on Loi Kroh road is called Night Bazaar Books, rather than another Gecko Books, and it is next to the Chiang Mai Saloon near Kom Pang Din road.

We have been closing early because of the small number of tourists around, but will start staying open later in October.

Is this shop East of Kamphaeng Din Road? North of South side of Loi Kroh?

Must be blind......

If you were walking or driving from Moonmuang/Chaiyapoom roads with the traffic towards the Night Bazaar you will come to Night Bazaar Books and the Chiang Mai Saloon about three quarters of the way to McDonalds on the right side, about 10 meters before you reach the big beer-bar center with Thai Boxing and many lady boys. If you go another 10 meters, you reach the Kamphaeng Din intersection.

Edited by Ulysses G.