Penang Guide? For Visa

Sorry guys, i did a search and i found myself more confused den ever, im currently awiating for the neccessary papers to be process for my GF where den we will be heading to Penang's Thai consulate to collect her ED visa.

However, i am totally unsure about locations and navigations around penang, i noticed words like Penang, georgetown and chulia street etc

can some kind soul here please help me around here, like how do i get to the thai consulate and some recommandations for hotels? i heard there are some hotels that provide agents to do the work for you?

We arent big spenders and my gf doesnt want to spend alot on hotels, maybe a decent one will do, hopefully below 1000thb/day.

Would be glad if there could be a compiled guide around here so as to ease stupid TVforumers like me..

roughly navigational help like address and road names would be appreciated... I would really HATE to get lost in Msia

thanks!

Edited by jetzie

Island is Penang, city is Georgetown, backpacker area (street) is Chulia.

Access by train is mainland city of Butterworth - walk from train to ferry and cross to Penang/Georgetown and almost directly across from exit of ferry is Chulia Street - can use taxi or pedicabs to hotels/guesthouse. Access by air is airport on Penang and about 30 minutes to Georgetown by taxi. Access by bus/share taxi could be Georgetown by ferry or bridge or Butterworth next door to train/ferry stations.

Thai Consulate is in suburb for city so best to use taxi and have wait (if you do not use an agent). There are several hotels near the intersection of Chulia and Penang street (about 1km or so from ferry terminal) that are less than 1k but don't expect too much as they are pretty old and tired. One of better is about 200 meters to the left on Penang called Continental and old section would be lower than 1k but new room a little above. On small street just behind (last street to right on Chulia before Penang are Cathay Guesthouse (a Lonely Planet choice) and a smaller hotel called Waldorf that should be in the 600 baht or so range I suspect.

yeah only that I used to stay in Cititel for about Baht 900

where do you come up with those prices ? Professor

or do you have a tattoo on your forehead reading "Rip me off" ?

find it on the net for under 2K baht and link it here. I'd love to see it. I guess you have the cititel confused with another hotel or stayed there 10 years ago

Hello,

just returned from penang. I second the recommendation to use nj book store. Very polite and easy. The even pick you up fro the airport and bring you back to the airport. After all you save a lot of hassle and time and their charge is very small, if you remember that you are saving money for taxis.

drop them a line a [email protected] and tell them when you arrive and ask them about picking you up.

as i said used them this week and did not have any problems.

regards

Timo

Try the City Island Resort at the beginning of Chulia Street. Simple but decent accommodation for around 500 baht or so.

Hostelbookers.com has a good small list of hostels. Hotel Mingood is a popular choice (around 700-800 baht).

And Cititel is indeed now between 2000-3000 baht per night.Penang has a lot of cheap accommodation, just don't set your standard too high.

And because a ED visa (with special requirements) is not like a regular TR or Non Im, I would go to the Consulate myself in case they have further questions or comments.

so i suppose its recommanded that i stay in Chulia Street. From chulia street to the thai consulate, it's via cab right?

Im not sure how different is a EDvisa collection different from a B or O, since it's just collection because application would have to be approved and the school inform me to go penang to collect it ?

it's just to go down to the thai consulate, give them my passport tt has the tourist visa and collect it the next day with the TV replaced with a ED right?

Please clear my doubts . Appreciated.

Any website for City Island Resort? cant find online

Edited by jetzie

It's not going to be 'replaced' as the TR is void when you leave Thailand. It's a completely new visa.

And these agents not simply 'collect' it, they will also put the application in. In my case, they once asked me to collect it by myself because they had questions.So paid the agent, but still had to go myself.

Taxi is about 15-20 Ringgit one way. I usually walk to the bus terminal and get a taxi there (more offers). If you arrive by plane (Air Asia, 10am) it's better to go directly to the consulate and put the application in the same day.

City Island Resort is also known under another name. Can't remember.

Make sure you have the letter from the Ministery of Education.

Edited by sniffdog

Just go talk to Muhammad at NJ and he'll tell you what you need to do.

There are some real ratholes on Chulia st. so be sure to look things over before paying.

I found Penang to be a very easy place to get around and spend a few days and NJ made the visa process painless! Good luck!

There are some real ratholes on Chulia st. so be sure to look things over before paying.

I found Penang to be a very easy place to get around and spend a few days and NJ made the visa process painless! Good luck!

Thanks alot ngangu.

What are the cost roughly for giving NJ and others? haven't been to Msia in ages , dont wish to be overpaying or "ripped off"

find it on the net for under 2K baht and link it here. I'd love to see it. I guess you have the cititel confused with another hotel or stayed there 10 years ago

I just arranged a reservation at the Cititel hotel a few days ago at RM 165 nett per night. That's approx 1544 baht and it's for their Standard Room.

I passed up on the Continental Hotel which is getting lots of reports about how run down it is. The best I could do there was 1,200 per night.

The Oriental had some good rates at 770 baht per night, and it's worth a look because they are recommended by Lonely Planet.

Note: All the rates I've quoted above were for a booking 4 weeks in advance.

You've really got to shop around to find the best rates at any of these hotels.

post-34982-1191133986_thumb.jpg

Thanks alot ngangu.

What are the cost roughly for giving NJ and others? haven't been to Msia in ages , dont wish to be overpaying or "ripped off"

They charge RM 20 (187 THB) for their visa service.

Are you sure it is not the "Grand Continental" rather than the "Hotel Continental"? Hotel Continental new section is less than seven years old so hard to believe it is that 'rundown' and is a (or at least was) a major business hotel. Although the old section could probably be called run down it was better than most 3 star hotels at the turn of the century and the last I observed it was about 800 baht per night price for that section. Unless things have changed since my last visit (seven years ago) booking is best done direct with hotel rather than agencies.

Are you sure it is not the "Grand Continental" rather than the "Hotel Continental"? Hotel Continental new section is less than seven years old so hard to believe it is that 'rundown' and is a (or at least was) a major business hotel. Although the old section could probably be called run down it was better than most 3 star hotels at the turn of the century and the last I observed it was about 800 baht per night price for that section. Unless things have changed since my last visit (seven years ago) booking is best done direct with hotel rather than agencies.

I stand corrected, I had the 2 hotels confused. I was intending to book at the Hotel Continental but ended up reading reviews on the Hotel Grand Continental not realizing there were 2 of the same name.

I just noticed on the Hotel Continental website that there is an old wind and new wing for different rates...85 and 108 RM. That's a pretty good rate for a direct booking.

I just arranged a reservation at the Cititel hotel a few days ago at RM 165 nett per night. That's approx 1544 baht and it's for their Standard Room.

I passed up on the Continental Hotel which is getting lots of reports about how run down it is. The best I could do there was 1,200 per night.

The Oriental had some good rates at 770 baht per night, and it's worth a look because they are recommended by Lonely Planet.

Note: All the rates I've quoted above were for a booking 4 weeks in advance.

You've really got to shop around to find the best rates at any of these hotels.

post-34982-1191133986_thumb.jpg

LOL, that must have required some serious digging around to find that agent or did you find it off lonely planet? It boggles my mind how people come up with stuff that doesn't show up on the 1st 20 google pages. I'm also wondering where to get that mind blowing exchange rate to make 165 ringgets turn into 1544 baht. In my world, 165 ringgs = 1650 baht. I dont think it's possible to get better than 1 ringget = 10 baht anywhere in the real world. Anyway good job on the rate but couldn't you come up with that fantasy rate of 900 baht? BTW, not sure if you stayed at the cititel but it aint that special and overpriced even at 1650 baht. tiny tiny rooms, good location though and beats the hel_l out of fleabag chulia guesthouses like Banana

Edited by The Professor

I stand corrected, I had the 2 hotels confused. I was intending to book at the Hotel Continental but ended up reading reviews on the Hotel Grand Continental not realizing there were 2 of the same name.

I just noticed on the Hotel Continental website that there is an old wind and new wing for different rates...85 and 108 RM. That's a pretty good rate for a direct booking.

Not necessarily, that Continental hotel (not Grand continental) is a mid range priced hotel so even walk up rates will be in that ballpark

Edited by The Professor

Here's my Penang routine, fast and relatively cheap:

Air Asia, morning flight Bangkok - Penang, leaves 07.20 and arrives around 10. Usually THB 2,700 each way including taxes.

Go to the taxi counter at the airport, pay for a taxi to the consulate, RM 38 (THB 380 or thereabout). You'll get a receipt and are guided to the car which takes you to the consulate so that you are there before they close at noon. Applications are only accepted in the morning. Visa fee is RM 110 for tourist, don't know about the others.

Taxi downtown. I stay at SD Guesthouse at Love Lane (crosses Chulia street at the 7 Eleven around two thirds up). It's recently renovated, very clean, extremely friendly, free internet, rooms like monk cells (bed, fan and not much else), and very, very cheap. RM 18 for singles and twenty something for doubles. Clean showers in the corridor, lots of them. Taxi drivers know where it is. Mostly backpackers and visa runners there, but none of the noisy kind. They stay at Chulia street.

E-mail address to SD: [email protected] Phone +60(4)2643743

Taxi back to the consulate the nest afternoon to pick up the visa. It's possible to fly back the same day, but I usually stay another night to have some more (excellent and cheap) Indian food, and take the night train back to Bangkok the day after. It leaves early in the afternoon, around 2 me thinks, and takes around 24 hours. Tickets can be purchased at the mainland ferry terminal, which is at the bottom of Love Lane, second class is around RM 110. I recommend buying the ticket the day before. Trains fill up sometimes. The train station is at the ferry terminal on the other side. Very easy to find. If you are two people, book one upper and one lower bed. It's almost cozy that way :o

When back in Bangkok, get off the train in Bang Sue and take the MRT downtown or to wherever (it's close to Mo Chit as well). The train takes ages from Bang Sue to Hua Lampong.

Just my 2c

Edited by zakk9

Not necessarily, that Continental hotel (not Grand continental) is a mid range priced hotel so even walk up rates will be in that ballpark

I'm also wondering where to get that mind blowing exchange rate to make 165 ringgets turn into 1544 baht. In my world, 165 ringgs = 1650 baht. I dont think it's possible to get better than 1 ringget = 10 baht anywhere in the real world

It boggles my mind how people come up with stuff that doesn't show up on the 1st 20 google pages .

It's unlikely that you'll find a room at the Hotel Continental if you "walk up". Even last year before the new visa rules came into affect they were asking well over 1000 and nothing was available when I "walked up".

LOL, judging from what you've been posting one would wonder if you've ever actually been to Penang.

Check out the real world. The baht has been doing quite well against the Ringgit this year.

post-34982-1191152167_thumb.jpg

You may want to touch up on your Googling skills too while you're at it. "It boggles my mind" too how some people can't find stuff that's actually very easy to find.

Edited by tropo

I'm also wondering where to get that mind blowing exchange rate to make 165 ringgets turn into 1544 baht. In my world, 165 ringgs = 1650 baht. I dont think it's possible to get better than 1 ringget = 10 baht anywhere in the real world

It boggles my mind how people come up with stuff that doesn't show up on the 1st 20 google pages .

It's unlikely that you'll find a room at the Hotel Continental if you "walk up". Even last year before the new visa rules came into affect they were asking well over 1000 and nothing was available when I "walked up".

LOL, judging from what you've been posting one would wonder if you've ever actually been to Penang.

Check out the real world. The baht has been doing quite well against the Ringgit this year.

post-34982-1191152167_thumb.jpg

You may want to touch up on your Googling skills too while you're at it. "It boggles my mind" too how some people can't find stuff that's actually very easy to find.

Unfortunately, the banks and moneychangers in Georgetown disagree with you. In the real world, at least the real world in Georgetown, 1 Ringgit is 10 baht, give or take a couple of percent. One could always disagree with them, and tell them that, according to Google, they are wrong, but I doubt that it would lead very far.

The last time I went, less than a month ago, the rates at Suwannapoom were even worse.

That is correct Zakk. I have never been able to get better than 10 baht to 1 ringget either. I noticed that the money changers weren't pulling up yahoo currency charts and handing over that rate last time I was in town. Yes airport here and there are much worse than that rate

Edited by unbiasbob

Unfortunately, the banks and moneychangers in Georgetown disagree with you. In the real world, at least the real world in Georgetown, 1 Ringgit is 10 baht , give or take a couple of percent. One could always disagree with them, and tell them that, according to Google, they are wrong, but I doubt that it would lead very far.

The last time I went, less than a month ago, the rates at Suwannapoom were even worse.

You guys really like to talk real about the real world, ok, I don't use money changers in Penang and unless the people who do earn Thai baht it would be plain stupid.

My money and the money of many tourists and expats is tied up in other currencies. When I require Ringgit I use my international ATM card (dollar account) and get the going rate on that particular day. It wouldn't be too smart to use my ATM card in Thailand and then bring those baht to Malaysia to get stung again at the money changers would it?

Have a good look at that graph again and you'll notice that the ringgit dropped to 8.6 in August and it was under 9 for a month. If what you say is true and the magic number is always 10, then the money changers in Penang at that time were reaping a 10 - 15% bonus on exchanges to people without a clue. On a currency exchange of 10,000 baht they would be short changing customers 111 ringgit or approximately 1000 baht. You guys are making these money changers rich.

Edited by tropo

Unfortunately, the banks and moneychangers in Georgetown disagree with you. In the real world, at least the real world in Georgetown, 1 Ringgit is 10 baht , give or take a couple of percent. One could always disagree with them, and tell them that, according to Google, they are wrong, but I doubt that it would lead very far.

You guys really like to talk real about the real world, ok, I don't use money changers in Penang and unless the people who do earn Thai baht it would be plain stupid.

My money and the money of many tourists and expats is tied up in other currencies. When I require Ringgit I use my international ATM card (dollar account) and get the going rate on that particular day. It wouldn't be too smart to use my ATM card in Thailand and then bring those baht to Malaysia to get stung again at the money changers would it?

Have a good look at that graph again and you'll notice that the ringgit dropped to 8.6 in August and it was under 9 for a month. If what you say is true and the magic number is always 10, then the money changers in Penang at that time were reaping a 10 - 15% bonus on exchanges to people without a clue. On a currency exchange of 10,000 baht they would be short changing customers 111 ringgit or approximately 1000 baht. You guys are making these money changers rich.

please let us know what rate you get with that ATM card tropo. I'm curious

please let us know what rate you get with that ATM card tropo. I'm curious

Sure, I'll let you know what my ATM rate was when I return from my visa run at the end of October, however my accounts are all in US dollars. Perhaps someone who has a Thai ATM card could give you a better idea of the THB/RM rate.

I just looked for

"hotel continental" penang

at altavista. The first entry has a page on this hotel, including a rates link with

Room Type Daily Rates Peak Rates

Standard (Old Wing) RM 85.00 nett RM 115.00 nett

Superior (New Wing) RM 108.00 nett RM 149.50 nett

Deluxe (New Wing) RM 138.00 nett RM 184.00 nett

Standard Quad (Old Wing) RM 138.00 nett RM 161.00 nett

The "check availability" button shows red, nothing available far into the future -- maybe they don't book on-line? There is an "e-mail" link that brings up a reservation form. The rate page has a "check ALL on-line hotels" button that brings up a list of lots of other places. The second altavista search result is for the place in the reservation e-mail quoted above, but it says "journeymalaysia.com does not book with this hotel." They show what looks like a slightly older copy of the rate table above. There's also a list of lots of other places. I've stayed at the Cititel and liked it.

I vaguely remember that the Thai consulate closes for visa applications at 11a.m., not noon -- worth checking out. Peninsular Malaysia is one hour ahead of Thailand, and the embassy keeps local time, another barrier to getting your papers submitted on the day you arrive. Have your visa fee in exact change in R.M., and bring your camera to take amusing photographs of the applicants who don't. The area is residential with heavy traffic on surrounding main roads. I was super bored and walked around while waiting to pick up my visa, and saw nothing but very rich houses and two other embassy buildings. The consulate building looks like a former mansion with a high fence that's never open, except maybe for parties. Scum applying for visas are processed at the former outhouse building way around the corner to the left. Outside the fence. The Thai staff sit inside in the air conditioning; you stand outside and try to yell through the window. They will tell you to come back late the next afternoon. No web site, and I've never gotten a response to e-mail: 1 Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman, Phone: +6 04 226-8029 / 226-9484, Fax: +6 04 226-3121 [email protected]

post-42493-1191205232_thumb.jpg

The airport is in the southeast part of the island. The wild suspension bridge, lit up nicely at night, is on the central eastern coast of the island. The city of Georgetown occupies the lowlands at the northeastern corner of the island. On the western edge of the city, you could take the funicular railway (or lose 10 pounds walking up in the heat) to the top of the central Penang Hill for great views of the island and the city of Butterworth over on the mainland, have an expensive lunch and spend the afternoon at the nearby botanical garden. There is a coastal road along the north of the island, with a variety of beaches and very touristy hotels. Take a joyride on the ferry to the mainland and back. There are several enclosed, multi-story, air conditioned shopping malls, and every single title available on CD-ROM is absolutely strictly legal (Florida swampland available at extra cost). There is an older skyscraper ("KOMTAR") on the south side of town that's getting a little down and out, but has good views of the area from the upper floors if you don't want to go all the way to the railroad ride. Some nice temples and mosques to visit, if you like that sort of thing.

Edited by ytyt