Having A Baby

mrt273nva

My wife seems to think that she needs a cesarean section although a doctor told her to have a natural birth. She thinks that a cesarean section is no big deal. I told her that it is a serious operation but she doesn't believe me. I found out from some other people that many Thai's prefer to go under the knife to have birth. What is that all about? Is there anything I can tell my wife to make her change her mind. At the moment it is our only disagreement (which is rare). I guess it is her body, but I'd like her to seriously think it over. She is as stubborn as a mule though, so I'm guessing that whatever she says is going to happen will happen.

Deliver baby via natural birth I believe that it is better both for mum and baby because it has less complications and side effects. I believe that if possible mothers should try a natural delivery and only for those that really need one then have a cessar. Like in the situation of the baby being in distress or an extra big baby then cessar should be performed. If mothers are affraid of the pain then an epidural is always an option. But it is all up to the individual.

All the way through from conception to birth and beyond, there is 2 sides to each option a parent can take with their pregnancy/ labour/ rearing. Surely at the end of the day it is up to each mother and father to decide what is best after getting all the facts and making an informed decision themselves.

Afterall - there are no books on parenting so we have to guide ourselves.

Deliver baby via natural birth I believe that it is better both for mum and baby because it has less complications and side effects. I believe that if possible mothers should try a natural delivery and only for those that really need one then have a cessar. Like in the situation of the baby being in distress or an extra big baby then cessar should be performed. If mothers are affraid of the pain then an epidural is always an option. But it is all up to the individual.

All the way through from conception to birth and beyond, there is 2 sides to each option a parent can take with their pregnancy/ labour/ rearing. Surely at the end of the day it is up to each mother and father to decide what is best after getting all the facts and making an informed decision themselves.

Afterall - there are no books on parenting so we have to guide ourselves.

What are possible side effects of a C-Section?

Reaction to the anesthetic. Usually a spinal anesthetic is used. Worst case scenario, paralysis from damage to the spinal cord altho this is rare. Also some people have allergic reactions to the anesthetic agent.

Wound infection

Hemorrage, shock (unlikely if surgeon is competent, but not impossible)

Hernias later due to weakening of the abdominal wall.

Possible rupture of the uterus if subsequently tries to have a normal delivery.

There will be a permanent scar and also a permanent loss of muscle tone in the abdomen to some degree. (If she's concerned with her looks, that may carry some weight).

While the delivery itself won't hurt, she'll have plenty of incisional pain afterwards.

The risk of complications or death to the mother is more than twice that of a normal delivery, except for special emergency situations where some other complication creates an urgent need to get the baby out or prevents normal delivery.

Really consciencious doctors will not agree to do a ceasarian unless there is a valid medical reason. Which raises another problem, i.e. if she's got a doctor who is willing to do one on an elective basis, she has a doctor that I personally would not want.

All of the above is assuming that what she is talking about is an elective c-section and that there is not some unmentioned medical problem that would require it.

if she had problems with past labours than more likely she will have same problems again and cesarean recommended.

if it's her first than give it a try naturally and do cesarean only if serious complications.

operation is a danger not only for the mother but for kid as well. Sudden change of pressure to the scull in case of cesarean (waters squirt 50 cm in the air) might result in neurological problems (meninges being rapidly streched) and how the skull bones do settle after it. I am not medically trained but my massage teachers associated with cranio-sacral therapy do believe that it can lead to autism.

the scar on the womb and on the skin might be a problem with the next pregnancies and the corrective operation might be recommended before the next pregnancy. All of it takes time, costs and the results are not quaranteed.

as to epidural - avoid it as well. I have a few clients who did suffer from the pain for many years after giving birth.

Really consciencious doctors will not agree to do a ceasarian unless there is a valid medical reason.

All of the above is assuming that what she is talking about is an elective c-section and that there is not some unmentioned medical problem that would require it.

Agreed with the above, also with the comments that sometimes in the course of labor it does become necessary. The C-section rate in the US runs around 20 - 25% of deliveries. That of course is in the litigious environment that exists here.

Good luck!

:o

thank you for you advise. my problem is that it is stuck in her head that she need a c-section. tears ago she had a surgery on one of her abdominal area. the doctor at the time said that if she was going to have children that she would need a c-section, but the first doctor that we went to "Bangkok Samui Hospital" recommended natural birth. My wife said that doctor was stupid and actively sought a doctor that would do a c-section. I'm not pleased with her decision and i'm not sure what i can do about it. I only want what is best for my child and my wife, but her idea is does not parallel mine. It is very frustrating.

Fact is that c-section has become very safe procedures with small coincidence of side effects. Rate of serious complications such as maternal death related to c-section delivery is extremely low. However, there are some risks that are higher after c-section than after vaginal delivery. Side effects due to anesthesia are reactions to medications and breathing problems. Bleeding and infection are side effects related to surgery. Some additional risks specific to c-section are infection of the bladder or uterus, injury to the urinary tract, and injury to the baby. About two thirds of women who attempt a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) delivery are successful.

If you have had a cesarean section and are pregnant or planning to have another child, these adhesions could complicate matters. If you are having another c-section, your health care provider will have to separate and cut through all of your adhesions before she can begin the c-section. For women who have had more than three cesareans, this could take ten minutes to an hour or more. In an emergency, this could place your baby at risk.

If you elect to have VBAC, adhesions shouldn't pose much of a problem, unless you have had multiple cesarean sections. Typically, women who have only had one cesarean section can deliver vaginally without any difficulties. There is a chance that the scar tissue covering the incision in your uterus could rupture. This can be very dangerous, as it can cause massive bleeding or cut off your baby's oxygen supply. However, the risk of uterine rupture during a VBAC is very low, typically occurring in less than 1 out of every 1,000 births.

If you have had a c-section and are considering having another for a subsequent pregnancy, speak with your health care provider about whether a VBAC or another cesarean section would be the best option for you.

Edited by legag

My wife seems to think that she needs a cesarean section although a doctor told her to have a natural birth. She thinks that a cesarean section is no big deal. I told her that it is a serious operation but she doesn't believe me. I found out from some other people that many Thai's prefer to go under the knife to have birth. What is that all about? Is there anything I can tell my wife to make her change her mind. At the moment it is our only disagreement (which is rare). I guess it is her body, but I'd like her to seriously think it over. She is as stubborn as a mule though, so I'm guessing that whatever she says is going to happen will happen.

C-section or not is a medical decision; best is to avoid any emotional issues around this and the only way you can do it is by sitting down with your wife with an experienced obstetrician that you both trust and discuss the indications and/or any contra-indications. Ask all the questions you need and let the final decision up to the attending physician.

C-section rates are relatively high in Thailand, may be close to the US rates..

Previous abdominal surgery may complicate a C-section due to adhesions etc (it all depends what the surgery was done for) and a normal delivery, if there are no contra-indications, may be a safer option. It remains a medical decision though.

Good luck and may the little one be healthy by which ever way he/she gets into this world!!

Being trough this 'problem' twice, I think the issue is not with the doctor. Many Thai women are actually more concerned how her body will be after birth and special, if you still will be attracted to her. I know it sounds strange to us, but from at least 4 women who I have ask why they are going for the C-section answered they are worry of A) pain and :o that there vagina would be 'huge' afterwards and there man would not find it attractive anymore. It is a psychological and fashion thing.

You should find out what your wifes real concerns are, is it really the advice of the previous doctor or is it more a kind of social worry, fashion, face thing or is she worry to loose your attraction.

No question, if there is a medical need for a c-section it should be done and yes it is relatively save, as save as a major surgery can be save. But still, we are "designed" as we are for a reason, what ever that may be. So, if all is "normal", normal delivery should be the first choice.

Btw. I think the c-section rate in Thailand, special among women related with farangs is much much higher then 25%, more likely by 80%. As I said, its a fashion thing.

Wish you all the best.

thank you for you advise. my problem is that it is stuck in her head that she need a c-section. tears ago she had a surgery on one of her abdominal area. the doctor at the time said that if she was going to have children that she would need a c-section, but the first doctor that we went to "Bangkok Samui Hospital" recommended natural birth. My wife said that doctor was stupid and actively sought a doctor that would do a c-section. I'm not pleased with her decision and i'm not sure what i can do about it. I only want what is best for my child and my wife, but her idea is does not parallel mine. It is very frustrating.

mrt,

This additional information puts things in a rather different light. What type of surgery was it that she had in the past? And was the doctor who told her then that in future she would need c-section an obstetrician or just general surgeon?

Without this info I can't advise on the matter.

mrt,

This additional information puts things in a rather different light. What type of surgery was it that she had in the past? And was the doctor who told her then that in future she would need c-section an obstetrician or just general surgeon?

Without this info I can't advise on the matter.

I don't know the medical term nor do I know much about anatomy. I believe she had one of her ovarian tubes closed off (if that makes sense). All I know is that the top doctor in Samui told her to have a natural birth and my wife with all of her wisdom from high school says that the doctor is stupid. I'm not even fighting her about it anymore because there is no way I can win. If she endangers my child though I will be one upset daddy.

mrt,

Without more information we can't totally rule out the possibility that there is a medical indication for the c-section, and in any event even if unnecessary, a c-section is highly unlikely to harm the baby. If anything it is your wife who will suffer as she will have a longer recovery period, incision pain, scar etc. And, of course, if she had conceded and agreed to natural birth and then suffered any complications and wound up with an emergency c-section you'd never hear the end of it.

Sounds to me like the most important health issue for the 3 of you (you, wife + baby) is the tension between you and your wife. Pregnancy and the arrival of a new baby are stressful for all concerned and it is very important that there be strong positive emotional bonds. I think you're wise to try to forget the whole controversy. ..and perhaps focus on strenghthening your marriage.

Good luck to all 3 of you, and let us know when the bundle of joy arrives!