Excavator Damages Main Internet Optic Fibre Cable

george

I bought a Slingbox, but failed to get the correct router, so it is sitting back in the US right now. I will hook it back up this month when I go back for a trade show, but I am really concerned that I will be able to watch it. I have tried streaming video of NFL games, but I can't get any of them. I max out at about 17% of the buffer, and I never get an actual picture.

I pay for 1 g from TOT, but I don't think I am getting it. And I don't know if I will be able to use what my slingbox sends. I will return Oct 29, so I will post if it works or not.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Slingbox, but failed to get the correct router, so it is sitting back in the US right now. I will hook it back up this month when I go back for a trade show, but I am really concerned that I will be able to watch it. I have tried streaming video of NFL games, but I can't get any of them. I max out at about 17% of the buffer, and I never get an actual picture.

I pay for 1 g from TOT, but I don't think I am getting it. And I don't know if I will be able to use what my slingbox sends. I will return Oct 29, so I will post if it works or not.

I've seen a slingbox running here streaming around 250k, just over half what I think you need for high quality but may be 'good enough' depending on how picky you are. I think it was connected via 8MB True but no idea how the box back in the US was connected.

Plenty of similar incidents happen all over the world. Its just Murphy's law, not a proof of Thai racial or cultural ineptness.

Yes. Everytime there's some inconvenience caused any farang in Thailand we get the usual racist rants implying that these things only happen here.

Most people in the world are struggling to feed their families, people protesting in Burma are getting bludgeoned, there are bank-runs in UK as well as monthly out-breaks of foot & mouth disease from lab leaks, people in the US are dying from contaminated (domestically produced) meat ... but someone accidentally cuts the Internet connection in Thailand and the drama queens throw a hissy fit about how tough their lives are here.

I also have a slingbox connected to my router in the USA. Internet connection in the USA is via Comcast broadband (around 200kb upload, I think). I use it mostly for listening to hometown radio stations, which are provided by the cable company. Quality of the signal is excellent, and there are rarely buffer underruns. (The slingbox has some very interesting compression algorithms that slow down the speed of the content whenever the connection is marginal, as opposed to dropping out content intermittantly). I've used it a few times to watch TV, and for the most part, the picture and sound quality are acceptable, but not great. The client-side connection here in Thailand is via CAT CDMA/EVDO, which makes the slingbox's capability even more impressive.

=========================================================

Is True internet service available in Pattaya, do you know?

=========================================================

For sure. They even have an office on Sukhumvit ......

no True internet in Pattaya!

Oh, since when did they move out?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t70295.html

Please do post your experience

It seems not to matter what provider you use here nor what speed you buy, you cannot watch streaming video from NA (ie nfl etc)

i have tried with a number of providers and speeds once you leave thai are pathetic.

similar to what you are trying i have a friend at home that was going to put a slingbox in his place and get sunday ticket then i would (i thought) download the games to my hard drive here then watch them. but it seems you have to stream the signal from a slingbox, you cannot download and watch (if you find out diff pls let us all know). if this is the case a slingbox will not help either - i tried a speed test at their site and (as usual) failed miserably.

hope you can make it work somehow

thx

Plenty of similar incidents happen all over the world. Its just Murphy's law, not a proof of Thai racial or cultural ineptness.

Yes. Everytime there's some inconvenience caused any farang in Thailand we get the usual racist rants implying that these things only happen here.

Most people in the world are struggling to feed their families, people protesting in Burma are getting bludgeoned, there are bank-runs in UK as well as monthly out-breaks of foot & mouth disease from lab leaks, people in the US are dying from contaminated (domestically produced) meat ... but someone accidentally cuts the Internet connection in Thailand and the drama queens throw a hissy fit about how tough their lives are here.

Amen to that !

when i got my TOT DSL line 5 months ago or so it took them 2 weeks to realize and accept that they had "put wrong cable outside"!????????! until that was fixed i was, of course, the "stupid farang" every time i complained at their office. TIT.

Took the same TOT techs 3 visits over a few weeks and me explaining each time that the problem was at the exchange, even with a noisy or absent dial tone. :o Their bamboo ladder never left the truck. :D

On the second visit, one of the techs actually told my wife to tell me "I must be stupid then because I'm ONLY A TECHNICIAN!" Too bad she translated only after he left. :D

hope this is not off topic but fyi

the much vaunted edge gprs (in pattaya) using a mobile phone as a modem to connect to your pc is total <deleted>, virtually unusable. i could wait half an hour to read a small hotmail messgae

<deleted> :o

Does anyone know when the system will be totally restored. I'm 35 kms north east of Bangkok and since the cables were extensively damaged my internet has been virtually nil. Checking the Bangkok daily newspapers all last week one would presume that this incident never occurred in the first place.