Retirement Visa Renewal After Expiration

I have enjoyed a Retirement Visa the past 2 years, but a project has kept me out of Thailand the past few months.

My visa expires 13 October and I will not be back in time to renew it.

I am very near the Thai Consulate in Chicago.

A few questions?

Is it possible to renew my visa there?

Or should I get a non-immigrant O visa, return to Thailand and renew the visa there?

Are there any problems with letting this visa lapse?

I'm single and keep over B800,000 in my Bangkok Bank account.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated and I will file full reports of my experience.

Thanks,

Twin

I have enjoyed a Retirement Visa the past 2 years, but a project has kept me out of Thailand the past few months.

A few questions?

Or should I get a non-immigrant O visa, return to Thailand and renew the visa there?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated and I will file full reports of my experience.

Thanks,

Twin

You will have to start over again I am afraid.

Hi Twin, I hope all is well with you and your project.

You might remember my post a couple of years ago, relating my experience when I returned to Bkk on the same day as my retirement visa expired.

Because the plane landed late in the evening, I was not able to go to Suan Phlu until the next day. I very contritely explained my situation, hoping they would let me renew as the visa had only expired the day before. As expected, they gave me a 30 day entry stamp, and I ended up having to get a new retirement visa on my subsequent trip back to the USA.

The good news, however, is that it is probably easier getting a multi entry retirement visa (O-A) from a consulate in the USA than renewing one at Suan Phlu. If the Chicago consulate will not do it quickly, contact the Thai Houston consulate (phone: 713-229-0636, ext. 1101; email: [email protected]). I sent my application by overnite mail on a Tuesday, and they returned my passport with the approved visa to me 3 days later.

A few questions?

Thanks,

Twin

You will have to start over again I am afraid.

Yes you will ... However 'starting over' is really not much different to extending :o ... If any.

Naka.

Edited by naka