Have Any Farangs Landed A Job In Thailand Due To Your Bilingual Ability?

I'm planning to move to Thailand next year to take a break from working and to study Thai language. If a Farang attains fluency in Thai does this open up some employment opportunities? Even though I'd think so I don't hear of this very often, some have told me it's not even an advantage for English teachers as they want you to speak only in English which seems a little strange to me. I want to learn Thai because it's a personal goal of mine regardless of employment oppurtunities but I might take it beyond just learning for pleasure and basic conversation if i thought it could eventually land me a job.

Edited by wasabi

It sure does!

If you speak fluent english and thai, believe me you will have an advantage over non-thai speaking farang!

Teaching aside, about the only one I can say (unless you want to try and work illegally) is in the sales business and to a lesser extent the Diving Industry (Recreational).

Phuket, Pattaya and Samui usually has a few farangs desperate enough to try peddling time-shares. So if you can talk bs with the best of them you may (just may) make your fortune out here, although the likelihood of rich thai house-hunters roaming these areas is slim.

There is at least one head-case on TV who was howling about how much dosh he'd made doing sales and TS and that he had the bank statements to prove it etc etc. So there's one avenue for you that may work.

In the diving industry speaking multiple languages is a major plus, but you need your OWSI (instructor ticket first) and this will take at least 6 months to get (unless you are a diver already).

But speaking the latin languages and German is where the edge is, not so much thai (although conversing with the local staff is useful :o).

Thats about it.

Good luck and get stuck in :D

JK

Edited by JimsKnight

How about translation or some kind of visa service? One reason I could see it NOT being advantageous is many of the jobs that require Thai and English may be reserved for Thai nationals only. However I hope there is more than just diving or selling real estate since I'm not really interested in either.

The more important factors are your credentials/competency in your job/profession. Language may give you an advantage over other candidates, but is unlikely to land you the job itself. The exception being if your job revolves around language ability. eg translator, interpreter...

{BTW not sure if translation/interpretation jobs are legal for foreigners in Thailand. Although for translation/interpreting it should usually be done by fluent professionals who should translate from foreign language into mother tongue, I recall seeing that in Thailand there are some restrictions on your ability to work in these fields, even though it goes against best industry practice}

I have a degree in English but about 6 years working with financial software, portfolio administration and performance calculation. I have no idea if I'd be able to land a job that leveraged these skills in Thailand but perhaps knowledge of Thai would increase the remote chance that I could.

I have a degree in English but about 6 years working with financial software, portfolio administration and performance calculation. I have no idea if I'd be able to land a job that leveraged these skills in Thailand but perhaps knowledge of Thai would increase the remote chance that I could.

Planning a career based on being fluent in Thai ... but don't speak it yet ... Am I missing something ?

Oh ! and why Thai ?

Naka.

Trust me. You learn Thai to be able to read the signs and score with the local girls -- not to get some 'high-paying' job in BKK (which there are few to none for westerners, actually). Those kinds of jobs are reserved for Thai nationals.

Coming here with your qualifications and expecting to earn what you're worth is unrealistic.

Work for a year if you want, then spruce up your resumé and move on.

Just don't expect to be bringing home barrels of baht because of your knowledge of the [screwy] Thai language...

Edited by ballzafire

Reign in those horses Ballsy, no need to destroy the kids dreams like that.

But Ballsy does have a point Wasabi, If you aren't into teaching, diving or sales then you're pretty much sht out of luck. Thailand is not the USA or Europe where you can roll up and walk into jobs.

However there are plenty of suspect farang in the tourist cities who may try and con you into working for them if you sing about your skills loud enough. This comes with the risk of working illegally and them possibly leaving you high and dry when its pay day. :o

If you come here with a skill that is demanded in the market, then you'll do well. But you have to take the time to build up a reputation, and that takes time. Speaking Thai make it easier.

Lots of farangs do VERY well here. Very, very well.

Planning a career based on being fluent in Thai ... but don't speak it yet ... Am I missing something ?

Oh ! and why Thai ?

Naka.

I forgot to mention I speak read and write Thai though only at an intermediate level. I believe I could attain a high level of proficiency with a few years of intensive study but if it's not financially beneficial to do so will probably pursue that goal at a more leisurely pace. However the point of me posting this was not really based on my own pursuit but to hear if any farangs landed a job based on Thai speaking ability.

It's easier and cheaper to hire a Thai National with good English skills than hire a foreigner who can speak Thai.

This is what I suspected which is why I'll probably invest my energy in other pursuits and continue learning Thai as a hobby.

I have no expectation to have the same salary or job I have in the USA in Thailand, though it is quite possible in Singapore. I just thought I'd mention what my skills are now. I'm willing to make some sacrifices to live in Thailand, I'm willing to adapt however I can. However if the best I can do after a few years of trying is teaching English for 30k baht a month I'll probably move on to greener pastures.

Speaking Thai might not help you in your work as such. However Thai comes in useful at social functions when there will always be a few people who don't speak fluent English and networking in general and of course in every day life.

The more languages the merrier, as although a lot of people can speak English on an individual level when they get in a group more likely to revert to their mother tongue. This applies to all languages.

However if you are looking to climb up the social ladder make sure your very proper Krungthep Thai is up to scratch, if you are not sure better to stick to English.

Could always turn into a multi million POUND STERLING company,

ever heard of the bald head guy ..... Simon

hes done allright out of it you could say

Did somebody say Mreet Steat Aiasa?

Naughty Nigel has made buttons - his is just the hired help so top speak :o

He has not go a pot to piss in!

Now those behind it are another matter

As many have said already, being able to speak Thai is not enough to get you a job but it definately is helpful. I think my being able to speak Thai in addition to my other skills may have played a part in me being offered a very good job here in Thailand. It is hard to say whether I would have been ofered it or not if I couldn't speak Thai but I think it definately helped.

But isn't that the way of things, there is rarely one specific thing that you can do that makes a company want to hire you. In most cases it is the complete picture that allows you to market yourself to potential employers.

I'm planning to move to Thailand next year to take a break from working and to study Thai language. If a Farang attains fluency in Thai does this open up some employment opportunities?

It opens nothing other than "him speak Thai" comments at social events.

Thailand is not Canada, Australia or America that welcome migrants and want their skills.

Learning Thai is good only as a hobby. If you depend on it, you are in trouble.

You will be never ever be able to write an email to a Thai CEO. Something you may struggle to do in your home country too.

Edited by think_too_mut

Wasabi,

Sure it is a very good idea to learn Thai. But I don't think it makes it a lot easier to find a job, Thai employers are far more interested in diplomas than in your actual capabilities.

Two examples:

1) Back in the nineties, I went through two stints of applying for jobs in the hotel and travel business. I speak Thai, English, German, French and Dutch. No interest whatsoever though from potential employers, what they want is someone who graduated from hotel school somewhere in Europe.

2) The hotels in the area where I am living now, are suffering from a lack of staff. A young women that I know who speaks English semi fluently because she has been living with a farang for a long time, couldn't find a job here though. Why? They only hire waitresses and so on who have finished Mattayon (high school), and the women in question has only done 3 years of mattayon. :o Just try to strike up a conversation in English with a randomly chosen kid who has just finished mattayon.

Edited by keestha

I find it extremely useful in the real estate business. Reading Thai also helps with maps, floor plans and official documents, but would it land you a job by itself?

No chance, whilst language skills are useful, what really counts is expertise and experience in your chosen profession / trade.