Changing Flight Dates

glenbat

How easy is it to change you flight dates once you've booked and paid for the flight? For example, say you booked a 2 week holiday and while on holiday suffered an injury so you couldnt travel :o and needed to extend your return flight date by 2 or 3 weeks is it possible?

I've been told theres just an admin fee to pay is this correct?

Depends on the airline, and ticket type you have bought. However most cases like 100quid to change the ticket date.....

Porky Pies to stay longer huh??? :o

I did it in the past, (twice) I once rang in sick from the beach in Pattaya! :D Several years ago & I was with a different employer at the time. I actually did it a third time though nothing naughty about that, we actually changed that ticket twice & it was free, though I did have to pay an amendment fee for the stopover hotel in Dubai which we'd booked at the first time of ticket change. Going back to the first two occasions, I think it was about £25 with Emirates & £50 with Lufthansa.

If you look at what fare code your ticket has (it's a letter) then just look at the relevant airlines web site for the fare rules for that code. It can be anything from nothing to a few hundred pounds. Some airlines don't allow it for some of the codes i.e. TG don't allow it for Q. It's something you should take into account when booking tickets if you feel you may have to do this.

If you're still unsure just ring the airline.

The booking class makes a difference, as Clayton said. Q class tickets (may be different on some airlines but most have a Q class) usually have 3 month validity period. Changes to this type of ticket can usually be made, sometimes with an additional fee - and Thai do allow changes to Q class tickets but there are restricted circumstances (usually the outbound portion is difficult to change), and also the rebooking must also be made in Q class else you will have to pay an additional penalty.

For economy class, Y class is full fare, one year validity, and you will always be able to make a change to this type of ticket.

As other have said it all depends on your ticket - my record is 11 times one one ticket - 9 times got to the airport and changed my mind

The closest I have been was 2 years ago - I was actually at the gate when I changed my mind - they had to walk me back through Immigration and Customs plus unload my bags - sorry if you were on that flight.

Thai changed their rules amount changing economy tickets a couple of years ago and costs but can not remember them.

I have changed recently in economy with SIA with no penalty plus I just bought anothervticket to Singapore in August when i felt like another day in BKK.

Some airlines in some ticket classes it is ano no though and a new ticket is required.

The closest I have been was 2 years ago - I was actually at the gate when I changed my mind - they had to walk me back through Immigration and Customs plus unload my bags - sorry if you were on that flight.

As a service to TV members, could you let us know when you are flying next? :o

if you have bought it from the agent and not from the airline direct - than it might be tricky. Usually it's the most restricted air fare and the agent won't change the booking - instead sell you yet another ticket.

As a service to TV members, could you let us know when you are flying next? :o

LOL - I was a freelance Consultant then and could take a lot of time off. Now I am permie again so do not have the freedom but still change it often to the next morning and head straightLOL into the office.

if you have bought it from the agent and not from the airline direct - than it might be tricky. Usually it's the most restricted air fare and the agent won't change the booking - instead sell you yet another ticket.

If you encounter this problem it usually means you've found a bad agent - once they've made the sale they don't want to do any more work.

Of course, there are tickets which cannot be changed - but if your agent cannot explain to your satisfaction why they cannot change the ticket, first call the airline and give them your reservation code (6 alphanumeric digits) - and in future choose another agent if it turns out that the airline will rebook.

Prakanong - on my first few visits to Thailand, I did exactly the same thing - did not want to leave at all. The only other time I have ever done this is while in Vegas on a very rare winning streak :o

These days, I am early to the airport, sit in the lounge if I can get in (depends who I am flying with), and get on the plane first so I can be assured of getting my bag in the overhead compartment... and I always sit as far up front as possible so I can be the first one off the plane as well.

I also remember one time, when I and a travelling companion wanted to change our ticket. We stayed an extra day, and asked if we could book our seats in advance - agent said "Sure, where would you like to sit?" We were ecstatic to get front row seats... got to the airport (Utapao, when it actually had international flights by DragonAir to Hong Kong), encountered no lines, and were the first allowed to board.

It was about 30 minutes later when we realized we were the ONLY passengers aboard a 737! Needless to say, that route didn't last too long :D

As other have said it all depends on your ticket - my record is 11 times on one ticket - 9 times got to the airport and changed my mind

:o sometimes logical thinking just vanishes in thailand. know the feeling. :D

As other have said it all depends on your ticket - my record is 11 times on one ticket - 9 times got to the airport and changed my mind

But it *was* logical thinking... just delayed reaction in this case :D

But it *was* logical thinking... just delayed reaction in this case :D

The best was yet to come - when I got back to the hotel she thought I was a ghost and cried as she had seen me go through Immigration.

I usually get the seats I want now as they are reserved at time of booking unless I am doing a quick weekend cheapie on air asia.

The best was yet to come - when I got back to the hotel she thought I was a ghost and cried as she had seen me go through Immigration.

:o:D

Seen that before too. All those silly Thai ghost stories...

As I was saying - "logical" - just "delayed". I can just see you stumbling in a haze up to the gate... waiting for the other passengers to board... then dropping the bomb on the gate agent :D

I usually get the seats I want now as they are reserved at time of booking unless I am doing a quick weekend cheapie on air asia.

Well, it depends. Lately I've had to book on short notice, so the outbound leg has not been so easy. On the return portion I generally get what I want though.

Well they had announced one 30 minute delay which meant I would miss my connection in frankfurt so when they announced a further 20 minutes I walked up to the desk at the gate, told them i was not going and to put me on the next nights flight.

The bell boy in the hotel thought the ghost thing hilarious - still refer's to it ;-)

Most flights are now booked through the company so the seat preference is recorded and booked at time of booking on SIA. I do sometimes change it though like last week SG-AMS for a window instead of aisle on the night flight but kept aisle for daytime.

On Asia Asia I pay the extra to board first.

Well they had announced one 30 minute delay which meant I would miss my connection in frankfurt so when they announced a further 20 minutes I walked up to the desk at the gate, told them i was not going and to put me on the next nights flight.

No wonder. And I thought it was lovesickness... sillly me :o

Most flights are now booked through the company so the seat preference is recorded and booked at time of booking on SIA. I do sometimes change it though like last week SG-AMS for a window instead of aisle on the night flight but kept aisle for daytime.

Ah - well, SIA is still top-notch. Trouble is, I'm flying Thai. Just about to get my Gold... then bye-bye Thai for two years unless I have no other choice.

On Asia Asia I pay the extra to board first.

Never flown with Air Asia more than two hours, and back then it was whomever got to the door first (and that's something I'm good at).

cheers everyone, I always fly with EVA air and go economy (pretty sure i've seen the 'Y' on my ticket a couple of times now you mention it)

5 trips in a year and I still struggle saying goodbye, so am planning next year now... Gotta get a couple of extra nights in in Jennys on Walking Street with Britmaveric :D

Now I just gotta find a corrupt Thai doctor who can write doc notes in English :o