"dslr", Do I Need Kit Lens If Im Getting 50mm F1.8 Lens ?

Grover

Im going to get a canon dSLR soon, along with the well reviewed 50mm f1.8 lens..... do you think I should get a kit lens as well or just stick with the body ?

At this stage im thinking the kit lens would be redundant, but not sure.

I got a Canon dSLR myself and my first lens was that excact one. But seem to use it very seldom. The kit lens is a good start too, and that 50mm is so cheap (but yet brilliant) that IMHO you should get both. As you can play a bit with it.

The drawback of the kit lenses is that they are not very low light friendly. Probably starts at F3.5 at the wide setting and bounces up to F5.6 at the zoom end. So taking pictures indoors without flash and handholding it while avoiding camera shake is near impossible. And thats where the 50mm 1.8 comes into it own.

The kit lens is OK for outside good light conditions, and sometimes it's good to have some zoom.

So in conclusion, get both. And the few bucks that 50mm will cost you will probably not kill your credit card. It's a nice, very lightweighgt and tiny lens, easy to bring with you. It's so small it fit easily in a jacket or photo vest pocket.

I think having a zoom is a good idea. The kit lens is ok and pretty cheap. Actually, you can buy my kit lens if you'd like. I no longer use it because I bought the 17-55 f/2.8 IS. I'll give it to you for a good price if you're interested (Pattaya area).

Going with just the 50mm until you can afford to get some more good glass is another good decision. Having a single lens will allow you to minimize the variables as you learn how to use the camera. It's a great lens (of course I have one as does everyone I know who has a Canon).

Edited by Jimmyd

The 50mm 1.8 is a great lens and amazing value. It is good for portraits because it produces slightly soft images (ladies hate to see the reality of their pimples and pores!); but that means it is not so good in the long term for general photography. But as Jimmyd said; it's a good idea to stick a single lens on your new camera and get out there and take a few thousand shots to learn how it works.

Really appreciate the replies, all very useful. Jimmyd, thx for the offer - I might have taken it up but i wont be in that area anytime soon.

Im going to sit on this for a few more days and make a decision.

Cheers. :o

• 3 weeks later...