Visa Run To Laos

ISPY

Because our visa are expired in October :o we are forced to go to the Thai Embassy in Laos to get a 6 month visa.

Does anyone have experience with this and can inform me what to do exactly? Is it possible that we drive with our own car to Laos/Embassy of Thailand? We welcome every advise.

Because our visa are expired in October :o we are forced to go to the Thai Embassy in Laos to get a 6 month visa.

Does anyone have experience with this and can inform me what to do exactly? Is it possible that we drive with our own car to Laos/Embassy of Thailand? We welcome every advise.

go to the bottom of this page and look in a box of subjects click visa and travel and you can search through lots of people asking similar questions and replies and get lots of good ideas.

visa to laos, im not sure if you can get your car over the border but you prob better off not taking it, vientiene is just over the border any way so you maybe better just drive up to nong kai, park up and get a taxi or bus over the bridge, there is lots of english speaking helpfull people there.

good luck and take your camera!

To spare you from digging through the whole thaivisa for visatrips I'll try to save you some time.

Going to Vientiane for a visa is a smooth trip. If you bring your car make sure it's either registered in your name or one of the people accompanying you, including bringing all the necessary documents to prove it of course.

Otherwise, take a bus to Udon Thani, then a bus from there to Nong Khai, there's nothing to it.

You will need to get a visa to Laos and that you can arrange at the border on the friendship bridge between Nong Khai and the road to Vientiane. The visa costs about 30 dollars, it changes a little bit according to your nationality. It usually takes about 30 minutes or so depending on the amount of people doing the same.

Well in Vientiane you will have to apply for your visa at the consulate in the morning and the next day you can pick it up in the afternoon. Costs depend on the visa your applying for.

At the moment, or at least a few months ago they were reconstructing one of the roads in central Vientane so leaving your car in Nong Khai is not a bad idea.

To spare you from digging through the whole thaivisa for visatrips I'll try to save you some time.

Going to Vientiane for a visa is a smooth trip. If you bring your car make sure it's either registered in your name or one of the people accompanying you, including bringing all the necessary documents to prove it of course.

Otherwise, take a bus to Udon Thani, then a bus from there to Nong Khai, there's nothing to it.

You will need to get a visa to Laos and that you can arrange at the border on the friendship bridge between Nong Khai and the road to Vientiane. The visa costs about 30 dollars, it changes a little bit according to your nationality. It usually takes about 30 minutes or so depending on the amount of people doing the same.

Well in Vientiane you will have to apply for your visa at the consulate in the morning and the next day you can pick it up in the afternoon. Costs depend on the visa your applying for.

At the moment, or at least a few months ago they were reconstructing one of the roads in central Vientane so leaving your car in Nong Khai is not a bad idea.

How long drive from Chiang Rai to Vientiane? Do you know if it is possible to fly from Chiang Rai to Vientiane? Otherwise: how long is the trip by bus?

I did the bus to Udon Thani last year, it was about 10 hours. From there you change to Nong Khai, they run every hour then get a tuktuk/taxi to the border.

I would think you could drive to Nong Khai in about 8 hours.

To fly you have to go via Bangkok to Udon Thani. 2 flights.

I believe there is a direct flight to Vientiane from Chiang Mai but it was expensive last time I looked. It appears to be Lao Aviation.

You seem a bit unsure about what you have to do, 1IJ is correct when he says there is no 6 month visa, you would be well advised to consult a visa run company or travel agent, either here or in Chiang Mai. It's difficult to advise you when we don't know your circumstances or the type of visa you require.

I would not like to sit in that car if you make it in 8 hours!!

I have been driving to Udon and Nong Khai a couple of times. You have to go down to Phitsanaluk and then over the mountains towards Khon Kaen/Udon.

Roads are not bad and the views are spectacular at many places.

I would say it is at least 800 km to Nong Khai so 8 hours is out of the question if you not are Schumacher and drive a Ferarri.

Take your time and stop and have a look. I have stopped a couple of times up in the mountains between Phitsanaluk and Lom Sak. Many resorts up there and some really expensive and some affordable. Lots of people from BKK go there.

And have a stop in Udon Thani. Very nice town with friendly people and lots of expats, nice guys! And then you have Nong Khai that in some list is one of the best places for an expat to retire!! Maybe you change your mind about Chiang Rai after that trip.

And just south of Nong Khai is the best golfcourse in Isan!

You can leave your car at the Friendship Bridge and there is a bus that takes you over the bridge to Lao Immigration. Then bus to Vientianne. And Vientianne is also nice. Good breakfast at Scandinavian Bakery!

Have a good trip and take your time!

I would not like to sit in that car if you make it in 8 hours!!

I have been driving to Udon and Nong Khai a couple of times. You have to go down to Phitsanaluk and then over the mountains towards Khon Kaen/Udon.

Roads are not bad and the views are spectacular at many places.

I would say it is at least 800 km to Nong Khai so 8 hours is out of the question if you not are Schumacher and drive a Ferarri.

Take your time and stop and have a look. I have stopped a couple of times up in the mountains between Phitsanaluk and Lom Sak. Many resorts up there and some really expensive and some affordable. Lots of people from BKK go there.

And have a stop in Udon Thani. Very nice town with friendly people and lots of expats, nice guys! And then you have Nong Khai that in some list is one of the best places for an expat to retire!! Maybe you change your mind about Chiang Rai after that trip.

And just south of Nong Khai is the best golfcourse in Isan!

You can leave your car at the Friendship Bridge and there is a bus that takes you over the bridge to Lao Immigration. Then bus to Vientianne. And Vientianne is also nice. Good breakfast at Scandinavian Bakery!

Have a good trip and take your time!

I stand corrected Sven, I made a rough estimate using the time the bus took traveling by night. I guess we didn't spend as much time stopping as I thought we did.

I agree it would be a marvelous trip taking your time in the daylight hours. I intend to drive it one day and can assure you I'll take a lot longer than 8 hours.

Edited by sceadugenga

To avoid the long bus trip and avoid the expensive flight from Vientiene:

Go to CM. Then Fly Nok Air direct to Udon Thani. Fare is 1500b going and 1450 return. They fly every Friday and Sunday and may add additional days. There are mini vans that meet every flight and make the one hour trip to Nong Khai for 100b. From Nong Khai take a tuktuk to the bridge. Get stamped out, get Lao visa. Take another tuktuk to Vientiene.

If you fly Lao Aviation between CNX and VTE you have to stop in Luang Prabang either on the way out or the way back, but not both. It's more expensive but a worthwhile detour if you've never been to Luang Prabang.

• 1 year later...

One online distance map shows 899 km. Many moons ago I drove C'rai to Udorn in "about" 8 hours. Nong Khai is another hour.

A retiree in BKK told me that the visa fee for Laos is now $70

can anyone confirm ?

It all depends on your nationality. Australians pay US$30; Americans $35. I'm not sure of all the others, but most are similar. This info is as of two weeks ago.