Payap U - Accommodation Or Transportation?

amexpat

Hello board,

Nice thing you have going here.

I am moving to Chiang Mai and plan to take Payap's intensive Thai for a few months. I've only visited CM twice. That was enough to convince me but not to orient me.

So, I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to do it.

Live near the school? OK, where? Hillside 7 or 8 might work. 12K/mo is ok if good value and not isolated

Live in town and comute? How? The taxis charged 100 bt each way from city when I visited. I don't plan to try a bike for a while because I'm a newbie rider and have apparently spent my whole life driving on the wrong side of the road.

Many thanks for any advice.

amexpat intensive thai at payap is at the other campus not the one near the hillside apartments. Its the other side of the city and outside the main perimeter. The cost mounts up if you intend to stay in town and go by songtaew (70-100baht each way roughly). Recommend either hiring a scooter or contacting Payap about where they may recommend staying that is closest to them.

edit: just re-read and you say you dont want to ride a bike. If you want to stay in town it will be around the 100baht mark to get there (each way). Otherwise maybe work out a deal with a car/bike owner on the course with you if they live near you/pass your way.

Edited by eek

I'd live in town. There's ###### all to do out near Payap other than shop at Carrefour.

Suggest you learn to ride a bike on the proper side of the road real fast. :o

And wear a helmet.

On the plus side, you'd save LOADS on rent. No way do you have to spend 12K. Start with a hotel or guesthouse you like and ask for a monthly deal. THen during that month you can explore apartments that you may like.

Another advantage of going with a hotel or guesthouse first is that everything you need is there: furniture, food, laundry service, people to talk to, etc, etc. It can suck to be all by yourself in a boring apartment room in the outskirts of town..

Just a side note...have you set your heart on studying at payap/paid for it? If you like the hillside area then there are various thai lang courses at YMCA. They are cheaper than Payap's courses also but not sure how YMCA's teaching/intensity etc measure up against the Uni's. Decent accomo can be had at Huay Kaew Residence also. Prices from 4k to 12k. www.huaykaewresidence.com

Thanks, both. That coincides with my impressions from the brief trip to Payap. There's not much out there.

I have stayed on Loi Kroh in the past and wandered the city on foot from the SE to the NW corners of the moat but I still don't know where to start looking for longer term places, yet. Overwhelmed with choice, maybe. The 12K I mentioned was max for pool, fitness, all that stuff. I can also do small and basic if I get charmed by the location or something (say, above a modeling agency :o ).

OK, I'll rev up my courage, get a helmet, and try the bike. I've already bought med insurance and updated my will. At least it isn't like Bangkok or Pattaya.

amexpat, I also spent my entire life driving on the "wrong" side of the road. :o

But adapting to the left side, and learning to "read" the traffic flow, is a fast learning curve. I ride my motorsai everyday here; there is no way I would either:

1) sit hunched in the back of a songthiew, sweating, breathing diesel.

2) be in a car (an econo model costs 1.2 million+ new here) stuck in inner city gridlock.

Unless you are old, or infirm, or absolutely terrified of the idea of riding a bike, I say go for it. Wear a helmet religiously, maintain a "high visual horizon", and start off slow....you'll catch on soon. Oh, and on thread, Sanpatong is right- you don't want to live out in the boonies (near Payap), with no personal transportation.

Good luck!

McG