Pubs With Good Live Music?

fennielyn

Of late, I've been hanging out alot in local pubs (Ratchathewi area - coco walk) fronted by pretty decent local bands. And as much as I love them, I am starting to miss listening to stuff that I can actually understand (being still sucky in Thai and all but I'm trying!). So are there places out there that have bands that play music along the likes of Oasis, Greenday, Keane etc? I know Hillary has a great band but there style is more rockish which is all well and good but just not for me.

Any recs will be greatly appreciated. =)

• Spasso's @ Gran Hyatt Hotel: Hip-hop, Top40 & Dj
  • 87's @ Conrad Hotel: Hip-hop, Top40, & Dj
  • Diphomat @ Conrad Hotel: Easy-listening, Vocal jazz
  • Saxophone @ Victory Monument: Jazz, Raggae
  • Brown Sugar @ Lang Suan: Jazz, tempo

Don't know where you can go listen to Oasis, Greenday kinda music.

Shamrock on Khao San have a great band.

Beat me to it. The pub that i always visit and goto when down on Khao San. I know alot of the staff. My ex used to work downstairs before the Irish Pub was open. They have a few bands play there. I have yet to see one that was <deleted>. They are all good.

Shamrock on Khao San have a great band.

Beat me to it. The pub that i always visit and goto when down on Khao San. I know alot of the staff. My ex used to work downstairs before the Irish Pub was open. They have a few bands play there. I have yet to see one that was <deleted>. They are all good.

agreed. I've seen a few bands in there and can't say a bad thing about them. not too sure about the rest of KSR though. :o

one band in particular that stood out had a sax player, must've been about july last year I saw them - don't know the band's name but they were well worth a listen.

Used to be a good Philippino band in the Huntsman Pub below Landmark Hotel. Not sure they are still playing but check it out. Good contemporary music. Agree with others the Saxaphone Pub (see website for schedules) at Victory Monument is great with some of the best musicians in town. Blues, Jazz and Reggae. For more blues, R&B, classic rock, Tokyo Joe's (see website for schedules) is good. It's on Sukhumvit Soi 26. Depending on your level of adventurism (is that a word), there are many smaller clubs around the city with some very good English language house bands. Try google "live music bangkok".

Titanium Club - great all girl thai band. :o

Yes, they are good and ROCK!!! But is it what OP looking for??

I'm thinking it will be next to impossible to find what I'm looking for except in local pubs with Thai bands (and I actually have but like I mentioned, they play 90% thai songs) so I might have to make do with what's available. Tis a pity I'm not a jazz fan as there seems to be a ton of venues with good live jazz.

Titanium Club - great all girl thai band. :o

Yes, they are good and ROCK!!! But is it what OP looking for??

I'm thinking it will be next to impossible to find what I'm looking for except in local pubs with Thai bands (and I actually have but like I mentioned, they play 90% thai songs) so I might have to make do with what's available. Tis a pity I'm not a jazz fan as there seems to be a ton of venues with good live jazz.

:D Jazz is an acquired taste. Kinda like brussel sprouts. Couldn't get me to eat a brussel sprout or listen to jazz when I was younger but now still hate brussel sprouts but listen to jazz 90% of the time.

For more blues, R&B, classic rock, Tokyo Joe's (see website for schedules) is good. It's on Sukhumvit Soi 26.
hopefully the drinks are not insanely priced though. =p

If you like Guinness TJ's is probably the cheapest place in town.

Great steaks if you are hungry!

Cheers

look out for any night put on by dude sweet, the music will be exactly what you are looking for.

Hmm...is that the name of a band or pub? Where is it located?

Oh I've never been to Ad makers before but have heard pretty good things about it. Been to the Dubliner a couple of times but have only seen this one Irish-American (I think) guy doing his rather remarkable one-man gig. He really had a whole dance and show going on and had the crowd eating outta his hands. ^^

Yes, premium prices are to be expected in posh places with live bands which is why downhome pubs that employ local talent are so awesome and would honestly be perfect for me if 1) I understand Thai coz Thai music rocks my socks off. Modern Dog, Pause and most bakery music artistes) 2) they play more English songs (but I understand how hard it is for them as they not only have to memorise the melody but also the lyrics as well.)

I've just been told that in bkk you'll hear more rock, jazz, techno and hip-hop than any other genre of music (not including Thai music). Oh well.

But once again, thanks for the recs!