Ilr, Life In The Uk Test, Skills For Life, Driving In The Uk

Hi all

The wife & son have been here two years this coming September. She is currently studying the Skills for Life at the local Scola College.

Just want any advice or links etc regarding the process to ILR, like most i am very worried as the exam is very hard. No chance of passing it myself! I have heard once she completes the Skills for Life Level 3 this somehow helps?

I know the basics like getting her bank accounts & on Council tax bill + etc.

I know a lot of friends are settling for the wife having just ILR but i want the Mrs's to get full citizenship. Do they have to give there Thai passport up? What is the process for applying for British passport after the year with ILR?

Also anyones wife passed her driving test on settlement visa. I was informed they can apply for a provisional without ILR by going to DVLA Post Office.

Lastly! My wife is not working as going to study child care. I need to arrange her NI number any advice!

Cheers

:o

Lastly! My wife is not working as going to study child care. I need to arrange her NI number any advice!

Doubt they will give her one, unless she can show she is at least "actively" searching for a job. My Mrs had the interview earlier this year. Nice lady and very straightword process, however my Mrs was already doing a part time job.

In order to meet the English criteria, the course has to have both a language and citizenship element, so confirm with the college that the qualification that your wife will obtain meets the requirements. Once armed with that and her supporting documents, she can apply for indefinite leave, and once she has been in the UK for three years and has the ILR, she can apply for naturalisation as a British citizen. Both the UK and Thailand recognise dual nationality.

Your wife may apply for a provisional driving licence at any point, although she will need someone to countersign the application to state that they have known her for two years. This, however, does not mean she has to have been in the UK for two years as the countersignatory may have known her in Thailand before she arrived. Failing this, she can make the application in person at a DVLA regional office and thereby obviate the need to have a countersignatory. If I remember rightly in relation to my wife's application for a provisional licence, non-Brit/EEA nationals cannot use the Post Office check and send service and, instead, have to submit their passport to the DVLA (which now has an Immigration Officer attached to it).

Scouse.

Hi all

The wife & son have been here two years this coming September. She is currently studying the Skills for Life at the local Scola College.

Just want any advice or links etc regarding the process to ILR, like most i am very worried as the exam is very hard. No chance of passing it myself! I have heard once she completes the Skills for Life Level 3 this somehow helps?

I know the basics like getting her bank accounts & on Council tax bill + etc.

I know a lot of friends are settling for the wife having just ILR but i want the Mrs's to get full citizenship. Do they have to give there Thai passport up? What is the process for applying for British passport after the year with ILR?

Also anyones wife passed her driving test on settlement visa. I was informed they can apply for a provisional without ILR by going to DVLA Post Office.

Cheers

:o

ive just been though this with my wife so fresh to a few things

1 . n.i number we was told until she as a job offer or started work that we wouldn't get interview but if you can prove your wife looking for work a i.n number can be issued , not to worry either way as she can start work with out a n.i number then apply.

2. driving best bet is to go with your wife to the nearest DVLA office in person with passport and it takes all of 10 minutes to fill the form out and you will get her passport back about 4 weeks later . this worried me in case any thing happened to my wifes family she would not be able to travel i asked about this and i got her passport back within 2 weeks.

good luck

chadstar

Basically it's any ESOL course with a qualification awarded by one of the recognised examination bodies and which the college can certify was taught within a citizenship context. I can't recall all of the recognised bodies offhand, but Cambridge is one, as is City and Guilds.

Scouse.

• 1 month later...

Just found this post. i rang up the NI dept and got one within weeks and did not have to prove my Wife was looking for work?

Also whats the crack with the test, as i was under the impression you can sit the test without doing the ESOL 3 course? As long as you pass the test ya in?

The plot thickens? :o

Edited by coldcrush

i rang up the NI dept and got one within weeks and did not have to prove my Wife was looking for work?

I'm surprised at the ease she got here NI number. That is more out of the ordinary than the norm.

Also whats the crack with the test, as i was under the impression you can sit the test without doing the ESOL 3 course? As long as you pass the test ya in?

You can do either CC. If you take the test and pass, fine. Or you can do the ESOL 3 course and you don't have to take the test, as it is included in the course work.

Edited by mrbojangles